Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,280
THOR #1658
Pull your lights & vent covers

Saw this on Facebook and wanted to pass this along.
I pulled a light and low and behold there was a hole drilled into my supply duct. I would guess that they used a hole saw for the light cut outs and they did not bother taping up the hole.


Also when you pull the vent covers off, feel high and low for any gaps or where it may not be sealed up.


Also feel inside the duct, as you might find what I found....


Hopefully when I finish sealing up all of the leaks, the A/C system will be even be even more efficient.

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
Posts: 58
THOR #5001
Good information. Thanks for this.
__________________
2015 MS 38RSSA 2009 Ram Dually Diesel 68RFE 4.10
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,838
THOR #1661
I went thru every one of mine to seal and make openings better, used lots of silver tape.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
airforceret's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
Posts: 388
THOR #6414
I can see daylight in many places in my MH like next to the door, beneath the slide, under the bench seats along the outside wall, along the edge in the storage compartments. They didn't seal major joints so it would be no surprise to find they didn't worry about sealing A/C ducts. I'm slowly getting them sealed up using Flex Seal but it's an as time permits project for me.
__________________
Roger, Dawn, and Roxie
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,280
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I went thru every one of mine to seal and make openings better, used lots of silver tape.
I am using a lot of silver tape also... ��
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
Posts: 303
THOR #4443
Is that actually the supply duct for the AC. Looks like just insulation, especially under a light fixture.
__________________
penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 392
THOR #2053
That is actually the duct work. DRV uses rock wool insulation so it would not be silver.
What bothers me is how did the hole happen? All of the ceiling panels are pre-drilled and attached to the truss before ever making it to the unit. Ceiling is installed from the top then duct work, wiring and misc are installed then insulation, plywood, then roofing.
I'm planning a trip back east in Sept and going to stop for a tour again and will look to see if the process has changed for some reason.
Would not make sense to try and free hand all of the holes later, but I have been surprised before.
I do know that the fit & finish between the duct work and ceiling vents is lacking.
OP said he found this on face book and re-posted it here. Is this actually a DRV ceiling? Color seems off to me unless inhabited by a heavy smoker?

Bill
__________________
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,280
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Is that actually the supply duct for the AC. Looks like just insulation, especially under a light fixture.
Yes it is. If you look at the last pic I posted, that is what the ducts are made of.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,280
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
That is actually the duct work. DRV uses rock wool insulation so it would not be silver.
What bothers me is how did the hole happen? All of the ceiling panels are pre-drilled and attached to the truss before ever making it to the unit. Ceiling is installed from the top then duct work, wiring and misc are installed then insulation, plywood, then roofing.
I'm planning a trip back east in Sept and going to stop for a tour again and will look to see if the process has changed for some reason.
Would not make sense to try and free hand all of the holes later, but I have been surprised before.
I do know that the fit & finish between the duct work and ceiling vents is lacking.
OP said he found this on face book and re-posted it here. Is this actually a DRV ceiling? Color seems off to me unless inhabited by a heavy smoker?

Bill
I heard about it on Facebook. I then started pulling the lights down. And just as stated if there was a duct above the light, it had a hole in it. The pictures are of my 16 38 RSB3. No, my unit has never been smoked in unless someone that has done warranty work did. Maybe the lack of light makes it look different?
I then pulled the supply vents and saw that they were not sealed and posted that on Facebook for people also to look into.
__________________
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
Posts: 215
THOR #88
rynosback, good info for people to follow. I did this when we first bought our unit and if I remember correctly the three lights I found with the holes drilled in the duct work were in the bedroom/hall area. My guess is it depends on your floor plan as to how the duct work is run through the trailer. When I had the lights hanging out taping the hole in the duct I also used the silver tape to cover the three square holes in the light fixture. I could feel cold air coming out of those when I pulled the lens with the AC on.

I also had several AC vents that needed tape to seal the gap between the ceiling and the duct. I have had to do this on every RV we have owned.
__________________
2017 Chevy 3500 DRW 4X4 CC LWB D/A
2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
Comfort Ride 245 Hitch
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,280
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11 View Post
rynosback, good info for people to follow. I did this when we first bought our unit and if I remember correctly the three lights I found with the holes drilled in the duct work were in the bedroom/hall area. My guess is it depends on your floor plan as to how the duct work is run through the trailer. When I had the lights hanging out taping the hole in the duct I also used the silver tape to cover the three square holes in the light fixture. I could feel cold air coming out of those when I pulled the lens with the AC on.

I also had several AC vents that needed tape to seal the gap between the ceiling and the duct. I have had to do this on every RV we have owned.
You are correct, the only ones I found with drilled holes were in the bedroom. But the two lights straddling the light fixture over the kitchen sink is drilled with wires coming out of the. So somewhere in the duct system there is a bigger hole with all of the wires coming into the duct. Why they would run wires in the duct is beyond me.

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
Posts: 215
THOR #88
Those two lights on ours just have insulation above them.
__________________
2017 Chevy 3500 DRW 4X4 CC LWB D/A
2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
Comfort Ride 245 Hitch
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2