Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Why not the diesel?

I assume the 8 speed would not be able to take 1,000'# TQ. They have updated the electronics on the 6 speed AISIN that is a True Medium Duty Transmission. Reason I say TRUE MD is because AISIN sells the same trans to many Medium Duty Manufacturers, ISUZU for one.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I think Bob’s remark was refering to the new ZF 8-speed being designed for Class 5 through 8 trucks with GCWR of up to 57,000 pounds. It’s similar in operation/function to the existing 8-speed used in 1/2 Ton RAM, but beefier and with much higher torque rating.

The video and two links I posted prior to Bob’s comment was probably what he was refering to.

I thought you guys would like the extra two gears, especially the very low first gear which is skipped in normal driving. The tested truck starts empty in second gear, which they say is about as low as the Aisin’s first gear.

The new transmission is an 8AP, also called PowerLine. The transmission in 1/2 Ton, Jeep, and many other applications globally is the 8HP or a clone manufactured under licensing. I don’t know much about the new 8AP, so not endorsing in any way. Just passing information along in case you’re interested in reading it.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I was... Thanks for the assist.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #24

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
"I thought you guys would like the extra two gears, especially the very low first gear"

To be honest if I could start in 2nd with my aISIN 4.10 combo I would. I have zero issues with the 6 speed trans as the shift points are spaced well. If they go to a 8 speed I am sure it will help some but I have no desire for more gears.

Now with my 01 RAM Sport 4 speed auto the 3-4 shift sucks!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 AM   #25

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Wait until Tesla comes out with a pick up. It will smoke everything out there.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #26

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
"Wait until Tesla comes out with a pick up. It will smoke everything out there."

I agree Ryan, Teslas have two speeds..... fast and FASTER!

Not really but I did drive my wife's cousin's Tesla, THAT was an eye opener for me!

Dan
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #27

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
"Wait until Tesla comes out with a pick up. It will smoke everything out there."

I agree Ryan, Teslas have two speeds..... fast and FASTER!

Not really but I did drive my wife's cousin's Tesla, THAT was an eye opener for me!

Dan
I have never driven one. But electric is FAST.... all they need to do is just put a generator in the truck and the range will be endless.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"I thought you guys would like the extra two gears, especially the very low first gear"

To be honest if I could start in 2nd with my aISIN 4.10 combo I would. I have zero issues with the 6 speed trans as the shift points are spaced well. If they go to a 8 speed I am sure it will help some but I have no desire for more gears.

Now with my 01 RAM Sport 4 speed auto the 3-4 shift sucks!

I agree the number of required gears can be very subjective, and therefore will come down to marketing pressures. When newer Fords have a 10-speed, it may place trucks with 6 speed transmissions at too great of a disadvantage at time of purchase.

Some powertrain engineers have argued that there is too little to be gained by going beyond 8 speeds except for buyer perceptions. Unless towing 30,000 pound trailers, most drivers don’t need additional overall gearing range, so it would go to waste. And if you add more gears and just place them closer together, the gaps can become so small that it’s often better to skip gears when shifting.

From a fuel economy standpoint, modern engines are not as sensitive to RPM vs Torque selection, so do you gain much by going from 6 to 8 gears, or from 8 to 10? I think decisions of that type will be made based more on improving sales than on actual capabilities or fuel savings. However, marketing will spin it any way they have to.

Electrification of transmissions may also play a strong role in how many gears are optimum. Ford is rolling out a 10-speed hybrid transmission with an integrated motor that can assist the engine a lot. I suppose that with proper calibration it may drive very similar to an electric by making shifts almost unnoticeable.