Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Glad that you are getting closer to finding the problem. You should post up part numbers or specs on those pieces Incase people need to get them. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Old 09-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #22

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
If I kept my receipt I could post the part numbers but sadly I didn't.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #23

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
If I kept my receipt I could post the part numbers but sadly I didn't.

Thanks!
Because it was just your birthday, I’ll let you slide.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #24

THOR #1661
Spoke to Melvin at Lippert Tech Support yesterday, he knows his hydraulics!!!

Since him and I both think it's one of the hydraulic rams for my slides that is bi passing fluid he said to retract one slide then remove the orange extend hose from the ram then hit the retract button. If fluid comes out the fitting on the ram that's the bad one. If not then re connect the line and do the same procedure on the other slide ram.

Now my next move is to make a plan to open up the belly below the ram I will test first. 50/50 chance I find the bad one the first try.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:22 AM   #25

THOR #1658
Quote:
Spoke to Melvin at Lippert Tech Support yesterday, he knows his hydraulics!!!

Since him and I both think it's one of the hydraulic rams for my slides that is bi passing fluid he said to retract one slide then remove the orange extend hose from the ram then hit the retract button. If fluid comes out the fitting on the ram that's the bad one. If not then re connect the line and do the same procedure on the other slide ram.

Now my next move is to make a plan to open up the belly below the ram I will test first. 50/50 chance I find the bad one the first try.
I think there are only a couple of people that are technical support. All of them seem to know their chit. Just cut one big hole so you can access both.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #26

THOR #1661
"Just cut one big hole so you can access both."

UH, that would be one "Big" ass-hole at least 14' long.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #27

THOR #1658
Quote:
"Just cut one big hole so you can access both."

UH, that would be one "Big" ass-hole at least 14' long.
Then you screw it back up and take some tape and seal one seem. Always a different way to skin a cat. 🤪
Old 09-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #28

THOR #1661
I did the slide ram bi pass test and both passed. To do the test fully retract one slide and on it's ram remove the Orange "EXTEND" hose. Now have someone hit the slide retract for about one full second. If any fluid comes out of the ram fitting hose was attached to then you have "BI PASS".

So I continued to the four rear leveling rams. To do the test fully retract all the rear rams. Now one at a time remove one top orange hose and hit the rear retract. When doing so I had one give a solid stream of fluid while holding retract button and another one gave me a steady drip.

Now I know why my front rams start dropping down right after I fully retract them.

When rams are fully retracted there is minimal pressure on the orange extend hoses so slowly remove the hose using a paper towel to catch the fluid.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #29

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
So two of the 4 rams have some degree of bi pass. Are you going to rebuild all 4 rams Ron?

How bad were the front jacks dropping? Enough that they would contact the road surface? This was while you're traveling right? You don't have problems with the fronts coming down while parked do you?

Dan
Old 09-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #30

THOR #1661
Fronts were rebuilt two years ago and are fine with zero retracting while parked. Issue was when the fronts were retracted to travel the drivers side would instantly start to drop and the other over time would also. I drilled holes and added screws to be able to travel. Now after several tests I determined the two front rear leveling jacks are bi passing. I am only going to have these rebuilt.

Does anyone know what the brand and part numbers for the seals and o rings?

The two that are bi passing were rebuilt but we are confident the supply shop did not provide the correct parts.

This problem did not rear it's ugly head until I replaced the pump. With more pressure with the new pump has caused the fluid to pass the incorrect seals that worked fine with the old weak pump. We could open up one of the "GOOD" rams to get the proper seal numbers but it would be nice to get the info for the proper seals and be done with it.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:52 AM   #31

THOR #1658
Quote:
Fronts were rebuilt two years ago and are fine with zero retracting while parked. Issue was when the fronts were retracted to travel the drivers side would instantly start to drop and the other over time would also. I drilled holes and added screws to be able to travel. Now after several tests I determined the two front rear leveling jacks are bi passing. I am only going to have these rebuilt.

Does anyone know what the brand and part numbers for the seals and o rings?

The two that are bi passing were rebuilt but we are confident the supply shop did not provide the correct parts.

This problem did not rear it's ugly head until I replaced the pump. With more pressure with the new pump has caused the fluid to pass the incorrect seals that worked fine with the old weak pump. We could open up one of the "GOOD" rams to get the proper seal numbers but it would be nice to get the info for the proper seals and be done with it.
Doesn’t Lippert know what seals or parts that hydraulic cylinder has?
Old 09-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #32

THOR #1661
I talked to Tech and they had me contact Lippert Customer service, they could not find any info on seals.

So it looks like I will be removing a good one to find out exactly what seals are correct.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:08 PM   #33

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
I wonder if Lippert actually manufactures their own rams??? Could there be a outside vendor that supplies Lippert?

Hopefully finding the right parts won’t be too difficult.

Dan
Old 09-23-2021, 11:42 PM   #34

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
I wonder if Lippert actually manufactures their own rams??? Could there be a outside vendor that supplies Lippert?

Hopefully finding the right parts won’t be too difficult.

Dan
It is just a matter of taking apart a "GOOD" ram and hopefully the seals have part numbers on them.

I am sure someone else made that ram for Lippert.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:04 AM   #35

THOR #1658
Quote:
It is just a matter of taking apart a "GOOD" ram and hopefully the seals have part numbers on them.

I am sure someone else made that ram for Lippert.

Well that just SUCKS.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:33 AM   #36

THOR #1661
I could replace them with their replacements but not going to happen. Will get this done right, I hope!!! Second pic is obsolete OE unit.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #37

State: Texas
THOR #11383
Here it is the week of Thanksgiving and this post was started 2 years ago. Today, Tuesday, I woke about 3AM for the bathroom trip. This was 12 hours after I disconnected at the Agricenter, in Memphis TN. As I rolled out of Bed I knew I had a problem, The nose was on the ground with both front jacks retracted.
I had not had a problem of any leak downs before. I was able to raise the front but would leak down in less than a minute. With several tries I did my get tripod under the PIN.
Now I waiting for a Tech to come for Evaluation and hopefully a couple jacks so I can reconnect to the Truck. I know it can't repaired here unless it a control valve.

These are the old style jacks, so pending on $$$$ and a repair timeline vs replacement (and the world in on back-order). It appears from the dwgs, Cummuns12v98 posted, it appears to direct replacement
Dec 11 2015 I signed up Coach-net RV Protect so we will see that goes.

Clay DRV MS 38PS3 S/n 8120
Old 11-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #38

State: Texas
THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS60ocb View Post
It appears from the dwgs, Cummuns12v98 posted, it appears to direct replacement

I have talked to Lippert and my jacks are not Lippert. Lippert jacks have multi-mounting hole and mine has 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom spaced about 21 inches apart. I think someone addressed that requited welding extra brackets to make the change.

I have a note into DRV for more info on my jacks.

Clay
Old 11-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #39

THOR #1661
Find a man hole to pull over top of and remove the rams. Park the RV and stabilize it. Ship the rams to Les in WA and get the job done right!!!

Before doing so go to a hydraulic shop and get plugs for the lines so you can use your other rams and slides.

Les recently did the mail back and forth and all went well.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #40

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS60ocb View Post
Here it is the week of Thanksgiving and this post was started 2 years ago. Today, Tuesday, I woke about 3AM for the bathroom trip. This was 12 hours after I disconnected at the Agricenter, in Memphis TN. As I rolled out of Bed I knew I had a problem, The nose was on the ground with both front jacks retracted.
I had not had a problem of any leak downs before. I was able to raise the front but would leak down in less than a minute. With several tries I did my get tripod under the PIN.
Now I waiting for a Tech to come for Evaluation and hopefully a couple jacks so I can reconnect to the Truck. I know it can't repaired here unless it a control valve.

These are the old style jacks, so pending on $$$$ and a repair timeline vs replacement (and the world in on back-order). It appears from the dwgs, Cummuns12v98 posted, it appears to direct replacement
Dec 11 2015 I signed up Coach-net RV Protect so we will see that goes.

I would not put your tripod under the pin. As they are designed to stabilize not to carry the pins weight. Hook up your truck. Mine started that way then started to drift down in transit. Has yours started that yet? I did a write up on how I stabilized mine. Everyone should carry those materials just incase. Sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I drove between LA and San Fran to have Les rebuild mine and do his fix from keeping the metal bypass line from rubbing. Best of luck.

Tags
front jacks, front landing gear, front rams, rebuild