Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2023, 07:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3590
Might be a silly question, so here goes..... Is the door hole big enough to get the old one out and bring your replacement fridge in?
Jerry

Old 03-18-2023, 10:03 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Have you considered calling in a fridge repair guy? Sometimes the amount of headache you save by paying somebody to fix something is well worth the price.

I don't repair my furnace, water heater, washer/dryer, air conditioner or stove/microwave want to know why?

Because I am NOT an appliance repair man!
Neither am I, but I have replaced the cooling unit in an RV absorption fridge, repaired an RV water heater, repaired an RV furnace, and upgraded my RV electrical system to run lithium batteries and an inverter.

I worked on and repaired cars before I became an NIASE Certified Mechanic.
I played with electronics and built several Heath kits before I was trained as a nuclear instrumentation and control electronics equipment technician.
I did software programming and computer upgrades and repair before I had my own computer networking and repair business.

I built my own 24' x 30' 2 story shop with all electrical, an office and bathroom and I am not a general contractor, carpenter, electrician, or plumber.

I am simply amazed at people that have no desire to expand their horizons.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #23

Brand: DRV
Model: Houston
State: Tennessee
THOR #25217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Neither am I, but I have replaced the cooling unit in an RV absorption fridge, repaired an RV water heater, repaired an RV furnace, and upgraded my RV electrical system to run lithium batteries and an inverter.

I played with electronics and built several Heath kits before I was trained as a nuclear instrumentation and control electronics equipment technician.
I did software programming and computer upgrades and repair before I had my own computer networking and repair business.

I built my own 24' x 30' 2 story shop with all electrical, an office and bathroom and I am not a general contractor, carpenter, electrician, or plumber.

I am with you on this. The main problem with this Fridge is it's a chinese made piece of junk with no parts availability. I have always repaired my own stuff because I am picky about things being done right. I like learning different things by doing the work myself. It might take me longer but I do it myself and I learn in the process.
I am putting a new one in when I get time and I won't have to worry about this anymore.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #24

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcorpschamp View Post
Might be a silly question, so here goes..... Is the door hole big enough to get the old one out and bring your replacement fridge in?
Jerry

Not really a silly question. But, to answer your question, we have had new refrigerators installed in our Mobile Suites 5th wheel in the past 12 years of living in it. We simply needed to remove the doors and the freezer drawer "facing" to be able to get it in the RV sideways.

The first time was when the original RV type fridge quit on us after only one year of living in it. The second was just this year, and it replaced the residential fridge we install before because mold had developed pretty badly in the freezer section while the RV was in for repairs for a while and wasn't plugged in and running.

As an aside issue, when we needed to install the first residential fridge, I "made" an "accessory" to help us get the fridge around the end of the counter and into the refrigerator area of the RV. That accessory was taking our four-wheeled furniture dolly and adding an insert on top of it, which got the refrigerator at the right height for going into the fridge area of the RV.

Start with the 4-wheel furniture dolly.

Then created the "insert" to go on top of the dolly.

Then, the two items together.

Once we got the refrigerators inside the RV, then they were "tipped" to allow the dolly and insert to be placed under the fridge.
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:29 PM   #25

Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
Yes the doors and hinges will have to be removed on both.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:52 PM   #26

Model: Houston
State: Tennessee
THOR #25217
I had to put one in my last trailer but it sat on the floor. That’s a real good idea on the dolly and frame. I will get one set up before I start.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:02 PM   #27

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

To be fair Ace, you have a mechanical background starting with your early career as a NIASE certified automotive mechanic. Some folks are not mechanically inclined enough or are worried that their attempts at repairs they don't understand might make things worse. Remember back to your wrenching days, you ever have someone bring in a "basket case" for you or your cohorts at the garage to try and figure out how to put back together? (The heads & intake in the trunk, rockers, valves, springs, push rods distributor, bolts & sundries in a box) Been there, done that.
Some folks need to leave mechanical repairs to the experts.

Edit: I will add trying to find a competent repairman is tough these days
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote