Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Rusty water—weep hole

With a hard rain I am getting rusty water out of the weep hole (drain) on the curb side basement door. Any thoughts on where the rain is getting in?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

2017 F450
2016 38RSSA

Old 08-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #2

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
With a hard rain I am getting rusty water out of the weep hole (drain) on the curb side basement door. Any thoughts on where the rain is getting in?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

2017 F450
2016 38RSSA
Don, rain is more than likely coming down either the inside or outside of your door and where the metal channel is attached, it is seeping in there and coming out the weep hole. I'm getting ready to install new seals around all my outside doors. The one where the access door to the wastebasket is leaking really bad.
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 AM   #3

State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
I'll be watching this thread for sure, we have the same thing going on with our '15 RSSA. I just noticed rust marks on ours this morning while trouble shooting my "no voltage at the LNB" message on our Winegard control box.

Dan
Old 08-08-2018, 04:53 AM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Going to be interesting following this--would not think there is anything inside the compartment door that would rust--unless its the bolts for the struts and locks? Have not noticed anything yet, so will keep an eye on the area.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Going to be interesting following this--would not think there is anything inside the compartment door that would rust--unless its the bolts for the struts and locks? Have not noticed anything yet, so will keep an eye on the area.
When I first purchased this rig, I noticed the door latches were sticking and the latch itself was at times not actually latching. Remove the latches and found lots of rust where water had/has been coming inside the door itself. You also have a metal track that goes around the entire compartment door and that is where the weep holes are, located at the bottom of course. I have also found that the rubber seal is not sealing the doors properly and will be changing all of them out for larger seals. Water will find a way!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

THOR #3109
You're full of good news, eh? Can't wait for ours to rust...
Hope to see you at Cross RV.
2017 F450 KR
Old 08-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I have no idea what sort of locks or door construction you have
mine has standard camlock, that is not weatherproof. I had water getting in in very small qties & had my daughter climb in one of the bigger compartments with a flashlight while I hosed it. She spotted the leak through the lock tumbler itself, not the "gasket" surface under the lock
Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
It would seem that the weep holes are part of the design to drain water to the outside that gets into the door. However I would not like to have water getting in the door if I could prevent it. My Lifestyle did the same thing until I sealed the door frame and door as well as the locks. I also put some sealant at the top of the door on the rivets and the frame joining seam.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

THOR #3109
Sounds like the first thing to do if having leaks into the door itself...haven't had that problem that I noticed on last Suites or this one so far.
2017 F450 KR
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #10

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
You're full of good news, eh? Can't wait for ours to rust...
Hope to see you at Cross RV.
You too Joe!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Model: 38 RSSA
State: Tennessee
THOR #2122
No voltage at LNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
I'll be watching this thread for sure, we have the same thing going on with our '15 RSSA. I just noticed rust marks on ours this morning while trouble shooting my "no voltage at the LNB" message on our Winegard control box.

Dan
Had the same message, called Winegard they told me to replace the cable between the LNB and the base. Fixed the problem.

2016 Ford F-350
Keyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #12

THOR #3221
I went to the RV today to drop off a few things, decided to take a couple of pics of what I have going on. I'm glad this subject came up, for sometime now I've been having troubles with our door coming down, the gas-shocks can't always hold the door open. VERY frustrating! I thought one or both of the shocks were weakening or bad. After replacing them with new I was disappointed that didn't "fix" my problem! NOW I have a good understanding as to what needs to happen. I never really looked at the bottom edge of the compartment door before today!

Joe, you have the same year/model we have, take a close look at your door side compartment door, I hope it does't look like mine.

Dan
Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #13

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #88
I had a mobile RV tech out today replacing our front jacks and ask him about this. He said usually the water gets in through the hinge.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #14

THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyspirate View Post
Had the same message, called Winegard they told me to replace the cable between the LNB and the base. Fixed the problem.
Yup, I called Winegard, talked to a tech guy, he said the same thing. I made up a 3' 'jumper' cable and re-tried the satellite dish. Worked PERFECTLY, called Winegard back (with my reference number) and talked to a gal this time, ordered a replacement cable, supposed to be here in a few days.

The weird part that had me stumped though was I took a multi tester and checked the voltage coming out of the power inserter first then went up on the roof, detached the LNB and checked the voltage at the end of that cable. My Multi tester read 19 volts. I was confused, that's when I called Winegard, Nick told me to try replacing the short cable first, if that didn't work to call back and more trouble shooting would be in order. Thank goodness "more trouble shooting" wasn't needed!!!!!! Oh, I also took the connections up on the roof apart and treated ALL of them with a bit of dielectric grease. The old cable doesn't appear to be "damaged", no kinks, tears or any obvious damage that I can see. Satellite is working with my temporary cable......

Dan

Dan
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #15

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
I went to the RV today to drop off a few things, decided to take a couple of pics of what I have going on. I'm glad this subject came up, for sometime now I've been having troubles with our door coming down, the gas-shocks can't always hold the door open. VERY frustrating! I thought one or both of the shocks were weakening or bad. After replacing them with new I was disappointed that didn't "fix" my problem! NOW I have a good understanding as to what needs to happen. I never really looked at the bottom edge of the compartment door before today!

Joe, you have the same year/model we have, take a close look at your door side compartment door, I hope it does't look like mine.

Dan
Dan, this Joe is having the same issues with our rig.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #16

THOR #3221
Bummer Joe, I'm going to have to look real close into that section of the trailer, somebody posted it could be coming in through the hinge. I hope to get this figured out BEFORE it becomes more of an issue. "....It's always something, if it isn't this, it's that." LOL

I was directing my "Joe" commit to Wingnut, but I guess if the shoe fits...... LOL

Dan
Old 08-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #17

THOR #3109
dapperdan,
juicesqueezer is Jose
wingnut60 is Josb

At any rate, my '15 doesn't have the problem. I recently was cleaning all around the openings on both basement doors, checked the weep holes also--no sign of rust/leaks anywhere----yet.

Josb
2017 F450 KR
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #18

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
I have similar seepage. All of my baggage doors have no sealant around the door sealing the frame to the painted surface. Pretty sure that is where mine is coming in.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #19

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
I don't think that is rust! It's from the spacer material inside the door most likely.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:56 AM   #20

THOR #3221
I took my latches off the curb side door this afternoon. I didn't like what I found! Just a little "moisture" on the inside section of the latches!

The forward latch was the worst as far as rust goes. Also I found it to be seized up and NOT actually latching.

I'm thinking the water may be entering through this little ledge area above the hinge. After cleaning up the mechanism and applying White Lithium grease I ran a bead of caulk on the little ledge, there was a very slight gap. We'll keep a close eye on it and see if the caulking eliminates my water intrusion.

Dan