Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 36TK3
State: California
THOR #2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
That's per month, maybe quarter, not year, correct?
My spidy senses are tingling. Or do they charge you the end of Sept. for a policy that started on August 30?

Bill

The invoice Cummins attached shows 8/30/20 - 8/30/21.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #22

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by anijet View Post
The invoice Cummins attached shows 8/30/20 - 8/30/21.
This is correct!
Old 09-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #23

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Yea, I know. My question is "Do they bill you 30 days after the policy goes into effect"?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Geico
Old 09-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #25

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Yea, I know. My question is "Do they bill you 30 days after the policy goes into effect"?
I paid that amount and that is it for one full year.

If I did not have Homeowners Insurance also the coverage would be more because the RV policy only has $1,000 personal property coverage where the Home policy would take over if there was a claim exceeding $1,000.

They said if I sold my home they would price a Policy from Formost. No doubt it would be more.

Between my homeowners and RV I pay around $1,200 per year.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #26

Model: 36TK3
THOR #2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I paid that amount and that is it for one full year.

If I did not have Homeowners Insurance also the coverage would be more because the RV policy only has $1,000 personal property coverage where the Home policy would take over if there was a claim exceeding $1,000.

They said if I sold my home they would price a Policy from Formost. No doubt it would be more.

Between my homeowners and RV I pay around $1,200 per year.

I think this is the key. I pay $157 annually with State Farm along with auto, home and a PLUP. I know my rig is older but I've never paid the rates I see here even during the period we were full timing.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Cool Insurance Woes

We have bounced back and forth between Progressive and National General for about 5 years. I prefer Progressive, their customer service is efficient and courteous. National General tried to charge me $50 for an "address change" which was only adding a post office box to receive mail. Since this address was different than the "RV garage" address (our physical home) they wanted to charge me $50. I tried to explain to the nice lady that since we were not parking the RV in the post office box (it won't fit) I didn't think it applied. Even being paperless did not help. She could not find a way around it so I did. I called Progressive and back we went. We had National General through Good Sam/Camping World. Is that a racket or what?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The garaging address should be what affects premiums: not the addition or deletion of a Post Office Box.
My B.S. meter is twitching...
Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Insurance Woes

So was mine. No amount of explaining that a 30 foot motorhome would not fit in the post office box could convince the lady! So I switched. They just wanted my money.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #30

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The garaging address should be what affects premiums: not the addition or deletion of a Post Office Box.
My B.S. meter is twitching...
It sounded like they wanted to charge him $50 for updating his mailing address. All premiums are based on your zip code, driving record and credit rating.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #31

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as an agent myself, and a motorhome owner, it's just no reasonable to compare your own 'situation' to ANYONE else's...it just doesn't work that way.

COMPARE, COMPARE, COMPARE different companies that will offer you a quote, but don't compare what you have versus your neighbor, with the exact same RV, or any of the rest of us - there are just TOO MANY variables for any of 'our' comments about our own insurance cost or our own insurance carrier to have anything to do with yours.

if you need to switch every year, then do. There is no more of the 'you've been with us for 20 years so here's your 'extra' discount'... laws just don't allow that type of scenario anymore - no cherry picking. Honestly, whether you've been with a certain company for 20 days or 20 years has NO bearing on cost, service, claims, or anything else.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #32

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
but, yes, your ADDRESS will be a determining factor is how your policy is rated, as well as all the other expected factors, such as size, weight, length, value, etc. But, another point is that states each control their 'ratings' that their insurers are allowed to charge in differing ways, and methods, and under differing limits. Some may allow an insurer to uprate a policy for certain conditions, others may not. Some may allow rate changes to customers before they get approved by the insurance commissioner, other states may require the commissioner to approve them before so, delaying 'when' a rate increase might come into effect.
Many insurers also create new policy 'forms', submitted to the state insurance commissioner, that then provides a brand new 'set' of customers, but under different coverage limits, wording, and included underlying coverages, making for a lower entry cost for new customers - even lower than some of the existing customers of the same 'company'. Since they both have different policies, their rates are different.
Comparing your insurance on a regular basis is the ONLY way to stay abreast of the 'best' pricing for your situation. Many folks find this an aggravation and time consuming effort they'd rather not attempt too often, but complaining that your rate is too high compared to others while not taking the time to do your own homework doesn't make for a reasonable argument against the 'insurance companies', as many people tend to do.

I have several insurers within my agency that 'write' RVs, but even within those there is no single company that is 'best' for everyone, or everyone's RV, or everyone's situation. Some companies really only want trailers and fifth-wheels, since they themselves don't provide options for auto coverage for the tow vehicle. Other companies may offer the 'everything for everybody' plan, but then aren't the most 'reasonable', price wise - though it's nice to have everything insured with a single company, maybe. I have one company that has my motorhome insured at half the price of the others. Why? Don't know, but they certainly must 'like' motorhomes or they won't be priced that way. They are also not the 'typical' insurer you see on TV, matter of fact, they may be a company you've rarely, if ever, heard of.

By the way, GoodSam, AARP, and others similar to those are simply just 'insurance agencies' that sell the typical named company's policies, like the Hartford, or National General. Most of the time you can buy those exact same policies and prices at ANY normal everyday office-on-the-corner agency - don't buy into those 'big guys' having any different than you local agent.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #33
MSK

Model: Palazzo 37.4 Former ACE30
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1590
Rates and claims service NOT GOOD

When we bought our first rig (Thor Ace 31.4, 2016) we insured with National General through the Good Sam club the the prices went up a little but not too bad. About 4 years in a big rig took out my passenger side mirror as he was illegally trying to merge. He received a citation and I was cleared. About 3 days later I received a call from the trucking company insurance agency saying that the would be happy to settle the claim, all I needed to do was provide them with an estimate for the repairs. I figured it would be best to go through National General in case there were any issues they could handle them. Turns out that was the wrong thing to do. I got in touch with them and was assigned a claims adjuster who worked with me very well and said she would get back to me but was taking a long weekend off. I called her several times after that and got the voice mail about taking the weekend off. I finally got ahold of a supervisor and was told that the agent had left the company and a new one wold be assigned. I ended up going through several agents and provided each one with the trucking company's agent information (the one that was more than willing to settle). I finally received a check and it was for about 2/3rds of the repair cost and I was told that since they had to send it to a collection agency the fees came out of my portion of the settlement. This all took about 2.5 months. I immediately cancelled with National General and switched to progressive, who also insures my boat. Cost of coverage is less and service is much better.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You'll always remember the lousy service for a lot longer than the cheap price...
Old 10-06-2020, 01:34 AM   #35
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
our Axis is insured with Progressive. Last year, I called the help line when we received our premium notice. I quizzed the lady, regarding our premium, in hopes of reducing it somewhat. I asked her what value our motorhome was insured for. She told me it is for the original purchase price. I told her that it isnt worth that amount any longer...as being a 2016...the dollar value isnt there... I told her that I had checked RV Trader to see what similar Axis were selling for ... and confirmed that if something happened to our Axis we would not be paid the purchase price. She lowered our premium by $200.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
our Axis is insured with Progressive. Last year, I called the help line when we received our premium notice. I quizzed the lady, regarding our premium, in hopes of reducing it somewhat. I asked her what value our motorhome was insured for. She told me it is for the original purchase price. I told her that it isnt worth that amount any longer...as being a 2016...the dollar value isnt there... I told her that I had checked RV Trader to see what similar Axis were selling for ... and confirmed that if something happened to our Axis we would not be paid the purchase price. She lowered our premium by $200.

Wouldn’t that depend on whether you had optional “full replacement” coverage? Perhaps you had that level of coverage and she simply deleted the option. When I was offered the coverage I questioned the agent about exactly what it means and was assured that it would cover the amount I paid for the coach not what it’s current market value might be. I wonder if I have what I think I have!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Wouldn’t that depend on whether you had optional “full replacement” coverage? Perhaps you had that level of coverage and she simply deleted the option. When I was offered the coverage I questioned the agent about exactly what it means and was assured that it would cover the amount I paid for the coach not what it’s current market value might be. I wonder if I have what I think I have!
Your policy might say something like "Stated Value", or "Agreed Value".
...This varies from the "Actual Cash Value" policies that usually cover private passenger autos.
ACV policies settle a claim based upon the current market value of your car.
Stated or Agreed policies settle based upon an amount that you are deciding to cover your RV for.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #38

THOR #6826
Quote:
Your policy might say something like "Stated Value", or "Agreed Value".

...This varies from the "Actual Cash Value" policies that usually cover private passenger autos.

ACV policies settle a claim based upon the current market value of your car.

Stated or Agreed policies settle based upon an amount that you are deciding to cover your RV for.

I think so but I’m going to go check. As I recall the agreed value is good for five years and was a relatively inexpensive option. I had it on my antique motorcycle too.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I think so but I’m going to go check. As I recall the agreed value is good for five years and was a relatively inexpensive option. I had it on my antique motorcycle too.
What sort of antique bike did you have?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #40

THOR #6826
Quote:
What sort of antique bike did you have?

Classic barn find 1978 BMW R80/7. I restored it to better than new and sold it earlier this year. The guy who bought it said his wife wouldn’t let him keep it so it’s for sale again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5956.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	26535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	26536