Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38ps3
State: California
THOR #17404
Screen/vent?

Question for those who have a PS3 or possibly other model that has this condition pictured. I’ve taken out screws and looked and see no reason why it’s there. Please help me understand.
My best guess is, this could be possibly a cold air return vent?
And yes this is us moving out the previous owners stuff before we took it back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B59DC3FA-47FC-499A-8FA0-2BD176917CC8.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	22740  

Old 02-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surron View Post
Question for those who have a PS3 or possibly other model that has this condition pictured. I’ve taken out screws and looked and see no reason why it’s there. Please help me understand.
And yes this is us moving out the previous owners stuff before we took it back home.
It’s not a return vent as it is not ducted to the furnace. But it is a void to the basement. I believe it is designed to remove the static pressure to allow circulation. Congratulations on your new rig. Where in Ca are you?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

THOR #17404
Very close to the most liberal city. Not my political view but, enough said.
SF Bay Area
Old 02-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Did you remove the cover/grill? What is in the space? Do you see a cavity going down to the basement?
Old 02-29-2020, 12:57 AM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Did you remove the cover/grill? What is in the space? Do you see a cavity going down to the basement?
Nothing is in the space, it is a void that goes to the basement as I stated above.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:50 AM   #6

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Nothing is in the space, it is a void that goes to the basement as I stated above.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #7

THOR #15553
Quote:
Can you look in the basement and see where the chase enters?
Old 02-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
There is no need to bow as I feel that is a bit over kill, instead of just saying, my bad. I did not read your reply (the 2nd post posted). As I answered the posters question. I have a understanding as I own a 2016 DRV. People post ALL THE TIME in the DRV section with out paying attention that people are asking about DRVs specifically. Even this new member made a comment about this problem in another thread. It is just confusing for a lot of people when misinformation is posted or it gets de-railed. It states that you are a retired master electrician in your signature. If it was a question about wiring or electrical fundamentals, RVers have the same fundamentals.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:08 AM   #9

THOR #15553
Quote:
There is no need to bow as I feel that is a bit over kill, instead of just saying, my bad. I did not read your reply (the 2nd post posted). As I answered the posters question. I have a understanding as I own a 2016 DRV. People post ALL THE TIME in the DRV section with out paying attention that people are asking about DRVs specifically. Even this new member made a comment about this problem in another thread. It is just confusing for a lot of people when misinformation is posted or it gets de-railed. It states that you are a retired master electrician in your signature. If it was a question about wiring or electrical fundamentals, RVers have the same fundamentals.
Your replay came of as guess work about the venting. I am trying to learn. this is the first I have heard of any open venting to outside air. No filters/screes? A/C escape to outside seems counter productive.? Cold air coming in?? Enquireing minds want to know. Op said he removed screws but did not state what was behind.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:32 AM   #10

THOR #1658
Quote:
Your replay came of as guess work about the venting. I am trying to learn. this is the first I have heard of any open venting to outside air. No filters/screes? A/C escape to outside seems counter productive.? Cold air coming in?? Enquireing minds want to know. Op said he removed screws but did not state what was behind.
It is not a guess that it just is a cavity to the basement. Also in the cavity is my pocket door. I also have a vent on the opposing wall by the toilet which just covers a space to the basement. Our basements are heated and when it is hot outside it helps keeping the basement cool indirectly because of these things. There are even some people now that make the cavity smaller by make the cabinet larger.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #11

THOR #15553
Quote:
It is not a guess that it just is a cavity to the basement. Also in the cavity is my pocket door. I also have a vent on the opposing wall by the toilet which just covers a space to the basement. Our basements are heated and when it is hot outside it helps keeping the basement cool indirectly because of these things. There are even some people now that make the cavity smaller by make the cabinet larger.
So this cavity is doing what a 4" duct did in my 5er? Mine was attached to the Furnace. no need for A/C.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
So this cavity is doing what a 4" duct did in my 5er? Mine was attached to the Furnace. no need for A/C.
There is a small duck that heats the basement also. When you are in 100 degrees, it is nice to keep the basement slightly cool.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #13

Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
THOR #2022
Congratulations on your PS3. We also have a 2016 PS3 and love it.

Like most 5th wheel trailers, your furnace has no return air ducting. What you are seeing is a vent to allow return air a clear path back to the furnace.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #14

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Congratulations on your PS3. We also have a 2016 PS3 and love it.

Like most 5th wheel trailers, your furnace has no return air ducting. What you are seeing is a vent to allow return air a clear path back to the furnace.
This is where I was trying to go with the OP but he didn't answer. I wanted to know what happened at the bottom of this space. Is the bottom of this space ducted back to the furnace or is it just open to the basement storage? Where is the furnace located in these rigs?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #15

Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
THOR #2022
Quote:
Is the bottom of this space ducted back to the furnace or is it just open to the basement storage? Where is the furnace located in these rigs?
The furnace is in the utility area that is behind and separate from the storage area. Once more, there is no return air ducting back to the furnace and the vent is open back to the utility area.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #16

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
The vent above the pantry and the one behind the toilet are NOT ducted but they ARE the location the return air goes thru to supply the furnace air to push heated air back into the RV.

You have to have air coning in to push air out!
Old 02-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #17

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
The furnace is in the utility area that is behind and separate from the storage area. Once more, there is no return air ducting back to the furnace and the vent is open back to the utility area.
That's the answer I was looking for. Return air chase for the furnace. thank you.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #18

THOR #1658
You should really look up the meaning of static pressure as related to HVAC. As I stated this on the 2nd post of this thread. I never said the word vent as there is no duct/vent to the basement, just a void as I stated. Feel free to post where ever you would like as I will no longer see your your posts or replies. As I find it a waste of my time trying to explain something to someone that does not own or intends on owning a DRV. I can not compare your duct to our cavity, as I have no knowledge about your rig and will never claim to. I can only talk out our rigs, DRVs, as I have owned one for 5 years. This is why this thread is in the DRV section. Members are asking about a specific thing about DRVs, not the any RV made on the planet RV. Have a wonderful life.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #11383
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/images/thor/editor/menupop.gif

Quote:
just is a cavity to the basement. Also in the cavity is my pocket door. There are even some people now that make the cavity smaller by make the cabinet larger.
My PS3 is as you stated and has pantry below screened opening that Surron's picture noted. What I don't know, what is the intended depth of the opening). My pantry is deeper than some. My intentions have been to cut back side hole bigger but have avoided making mess. Anyway I solve part of the problem by closing the pocket a few inches in colder temperature. I think this gives furnace blower a better chance to move air.
Clay 2016 38PS3/Dallas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191230_094335_resized.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	22759  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #20

THOR #17404
Rynosback, well stated. I'm willing to learn from those who own a DRV and i'm sure others are also.
Similar to a return air plenum is what i thought, just wasn't sure.
Again just guessing that the opening in the furnace allow air to be recirculated. This would create a more efficient heating system as much as to be expected in an Rv.
Steadfast, We have not gone out as of yet but will soon, and i'm sure we will love it as much as others.
Thank you