Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2015, 03:19 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Florida
THOR #2360
Storage Compartment Doors

Hi guys... Another small problem on my 2 month old Mobile Suites... On the inside of my main storage compartment doors, the hinges that attach to the door have completely come off on one side and are loose on the other... I haven't tried a fix yet... I would like to do something that would hold permanently... Any ideas on the best fix...?

Joe & Diana

Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Virginia
THOR #2642
Mine were loose before we left the lot. I retightened them and so far they are holding. A suggestion. Make sure you don't let the door close on it's own they will never hold up. I hold mine in the handles and slowly close them. For a repair you might try filling the stripped holes with JB weld and after it hardens pre drill and reattach. Hope this helps...Earl
Old 08-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOWROOM View Post
Make sure you don't let the door close on it's own they will never hold up. I hold mine in the handles and slowly close them.Hope this helps...Earl
Ummmm.........are these the slam door latch doors? Aren't they supposed to be shut by themselves? Are yours different?

Joe
Old 08-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

THOR #2360
Joe, as far as mine go, I sure thought they were supposed to... I have the 2016 36'... My last 5th wheel, a Montana, bragged about theirs being able to slam... I never had one problem with them... In fact, I didn't have as many problems with it as I have in the first two months with the Mobile Suites... I'm starting to wonder if I can depend on it...

Hey Earl, thanks for your reply... I'm still pondering the situation...

Joe & Iana...
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #5

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Diana View Post
Joe, as far as mine go, I sure thought they were supposed to... I have the 2016 36'... My last 5th wheel, a Montana, bragged about theirs being able to slam... I never had one problem with them... In fact, I didn't have as many problems with it as I have in the first two months with the Mobile Suites... I'm starting to wonder if I can depend on it...

Hey Earl, thanks for your reply... I'm still pondering the situation...

Joe & Iana...
Joe,

I have a 2012 Select Suites and have the slam doors. I have always let them close on their own and have had zero problems with the latches or the hinges. We have a 2016 Mobile Suites Atlanta on order and now I have something else to add to my list to check before leaving the dealer. Our dealer does their own PDI before they to a PDI with us, hopefully this will not be an issue, but thanks for the heads up.

Joe
Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
THOR #2022
On our 2016 MS the screws on one side came loose when the dealer was doing the PDI. The dealer's mechanic put some pop rivets in in place of the screws and it is holding so far. I am going to slam my slam latch doors and if they come apart, DRV is going to have to repair them.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:58 AM   #7

Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2116
Hopefully this pic comes out - it's dark out. Not sure I'm addressing the issue, but the 2011s tended to have an issue with the compartment door brackets coming loose. The attached pic is how DRV fixed ours. David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150811_215105981.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	651  
davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 AM   #8

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
THOR #2074
I have a 2015 MS/Dallas. After I had my unit three months, same happened to me. I did a repair myself, similar to Davydee. no more problems While at the factory for three days getting things fixed, I suggested the fix, they said they were aware of the problem ------- And? this is 2015.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #9

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Texas
THOR #1669
On our 2006 I had that problem and I read somewhere about using a 4 inch electrical box cover, the flat one. Attach it to the door the same way Davydee did and attach the bracket to it. I did that and it worked fine. I have had no problem with our current unit but if I do that is what I will do.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #10

State: Kansas
THOR #2648
Baggage Doors

We had a 2007 MS with the same problem. I fixed it in about the same way as Davydee did.

We have a 2014 with the same problem that the factory fixed just like Davydee did.

You would think the factory would get the picture.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

Model: 38RSSA
State: Virginia
THOR #2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
Ummmm.........are these the slam door latch doors? Aren't they supposed to be shut by themselves? Are yours different?

Joe
Joe,
I believe that they are slam door hinges but if you look at the screws they are about like the screws holding on all the cabinet doors: wrong. IMHO this is either poor design or a quality issue. We have replaced screws in four doors already in the 38RSSA. If I start letting my doors slam, I am sure that I will be making the modification like Davydee door. By the way, that looks like how they should have been attached at the factory. Great ideas. I am working on my wheel dust caps right now. Another issue.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

THOR #2360
Hey Guys...

I got in touch with Mark Arpin at the factory, and he is sending me some different plates... Seems to me they must know there is a problem if they're ready to send plates out... As LBOWROOM said about quality and design issue, I believe it is both...

By the way ELBOWROOM, Kodiak shipped me the clear dust covers at no charge... So far they seem to be doing the job...
Old 08-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
FWIW - when I bought my Challenger the dealer's salesman stated the storage compartment doors were slam shut doors. When I did the PDI the person doing the walk through stated that although they are supposed to be slam shut you really need to close the door and then push in on the latch. I found the latter to be the better procedure for closing the compartment doors and ensuring they stay closed and locked while travelling.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #14

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I let my doors down to about one foot from closing and release. Otherwise it sounds like the door is going thru the side of the RV. Wife let one "DROP" recently when I was in bed and scared the HE!! out of me!