Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #6309
Storage - slides in or out?

Wondering if there is a consensus out there on the best way to store a DRV when not in use? When we are at home, our trailer is stored in a fully insulated enclosed building with concrete slab. Obviously from an access standpoint, having the slides out is much more convenient. However, is there any concern structurally with leaving the slides out for extended periods of time? Appreciate your comments.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
In general the answer is slides 'IN', jacks 'UP' - but fully enclosed building, insulated, concrete slab - I'd be inclined to go for the convenience and leave them out/down...

I wouldn't leave the slides out for extended period without the jacks down... just for the stability that gives from twisting when going in/out, moving around inside.

Many 'full timers' have their slides out most/all of the time (unless moving to different location)... We just had ours out for 6 months.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

THOR #3109
Many people live for months/years in their fivers without putting the slides in; in the enclosed area you store it in, leave the slides out for ease of access. Shouldn't cause a problem.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If I recall the manual says to operate jacks & slides every 30 days if extended for long periods. I try to do that, but usually not "every" 30 days.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #5

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I've never heard of "slides in, jacks up". Why? Lots of people live for months the other way, down & out. I park mine in an enclosed building Out & down. I go so far as to lift all the weight off the suspension. Never had a problem.

Bill
Old 04-05-2017, 01:11 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Those of you 'spoiled' by indoor storage can get away with more...
When stored outdoors in the north - subject to snow, salt, ice... "in and up" is all I would do for storage... The salt impact on the extended jacks - and the weight of snow and ice on slide toppers made that a 'no brainer'...

As I said in my initial reply - with the benefit of indoor protected storage - I would lean towards "out and down" too.
(I still wouldn't leave the slides out without the jacks down...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 AM   #7

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
We have to store our trailer outside as well so it's "in & up" for us. Inside storage? What's that? LOL

Dan
Old 04-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #8

Model: 40KSSB4
State: California
THOR #5723
I also have the luxury of storing mine inside on my property. We still work, so the trailer sits a lot in storage. We do use it at least once a month if not more, but when it is in the shop, the slides are out and the jacks are down. The only time the slides come in is when the trailer is getting moved, or I need a little extra room in the shop for a particular project. Our method does exercise the jacks and slides at least once a month by use. Once we retire the trailer will travel a lot more, but I expect the slides will be out and the jacks will be down just about as much then as now, it will just happen in a lot more locations.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
So flip a coin.... What do the instructions say and do you suppose there's a purpose for why they say what they do.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

THOR #6309
Halibut214 - that's a great question. No where in the manuals or paperwork that I received with my 2017 38RSSA when I took delivery in February could I find anything related to slide out position during storage. I posed the same question to DRV a couple of weeks ago and received this response:

"I don’t think there is a preferred method. They are designed to be lived in full time, so the slides are built to be out a lot. However if it were mine I think I would store it with the slides in."

That answer didn't really do me much good, so I thought I would ask on this forum to see what others are currently doing.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #11

THOR #2581
I really don't think it matters structurally. If I have slides out however the jacks are down. I've stored mine both ways and the only reason I went with slides in was fewer places for rodents and bugs to enter. They seem to find a way regardless (especially mice) but it helped having slides in.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #12

THOR #3109
I think we are discussing a non-problem...
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds
THOR #7379
Slides and Jacks

We are newbies and hardly know anything about RV's. I have reading and reading and saw this thread about jacks and slides. My question is do I HAVE to have the jacks down to have my wall slide out? We have a Class C, 32 foot Thor Four Winds and the slide is the entire length of the house. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #14

THOR #3109
Your question is somewhat different from the rest--my suggestion is the Class C is built to have it either way. Why not put a level on the floor when you park it--if the level shows the vehicle is fairly level, no need for the jacks. Next, if it shows level, put the slide out and see if it effects the side-to-side level or the unit. If the unit leans toward the slide side, then maybe the jacks will be needed for comfort.
Hundreds of people stop at rest areas and even overnight without putting the jacks down, unless needed to be level for comfort.
I would certainly utilize the jacks anytime I was staying in one place for more than overnight--it will minimize felt movement as people move about in the unit.
Also, need to add--read the owners manual to see if anything is mentioned as to when the jacks must be down. I have never owned a MH but seem to remember that some units have electronic controls that require certain things be done before other procedures can commence.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I personally don't think that there is ANY difference one way or the other... think of it this way - if you were living in the RV that whole time, would you NOT have the levelers down and the slides out?
Why would the RV care when you are NOT there? it doesn't....

also, some may disagree, but whether the levelers are down when the slides are out is moot. Neither the levelers nor the slides care. Some will say it's better to have the levelers down, and the coach level, when sliding out the slide rooms, but once the slides are out, does it really matter? Yes, if the coach is tipping severely to one side, the levelers would help a lot. But most of these discussions are about when the coach is in storage, which generally is a FLAT area.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #16

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
... I posed the same question to DRV a couple of weeks ago and received this response:

"I don’t think there is a preferred method. They are designed to be lived in full time, so the slides are built to be out a lot. However if it were mine I think I would store it with the slides in."...
This is WHY we are continuing this discussion, even someone at the FACTORY is implying that 'PERSONALLY' they would do it a certain way... after they JUST stated that it doesn't matter!.... and it continues.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #17

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan75756 View Post
We are newbies and hardly know anything about RV's. I have reading and reading and saw this thread about jacks and slides. My question is do I HAVE to have the jacks down to have my wall slide out? We have a Class C, 32 foot Thor Four Winds and the slide is the entire length of the house. Any info would be appreciated.
NO you do not HAVE to have them down! Thats what I love about this forum, there are 27 different and sometimes opposite view points on something simple so take from it what you may.
Not let me ask you a question.... why on earth would you not WANT to have them down!? If there is any risk at all why take it. If something binds up there is a good chance your going to pay out the nose for it. Your choice!