Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Arkansas
THOR #13904
Temporarily lost 12V power

We have a new, one month old, 38 KSSB that we have had at a RV park for one week to check out the water system and yes, the Kantleak does leak, but that's not the main issue. We brought it back home and hooked back up to 50A service here at the house and everything was fine as we unloaded a few things. A day or so later I went inside to find that I didn't have any 12V power. No lights, no A/C/HP due to 12V thermostat. No fuses blown, no breakers tripped. All of the 120V worked, outlets, fridge, fireplace, etc. Spent most of an hour checking everything that I could think of and couldn't find a problem. The batteries would supply 12V even if the converter went down, correct? The battery disconnect was in the on position. Turned it off and back on, no change. Everything seems to be tight in the battery compartment. There is what appears to be a 80A fuse that I didn't check. Is it a fuse or a auto reset breaker? Back into the basement and into the utility compartment I go. I'm not sure why, but while I had the utility compartment open, I turned on the vacuum just to see if it was working I guess. It came on and the 12V power came on immediately, basement lights are now on! Crazy huh. Loose connection somewhere? Coincidence? Anyone have any ideas what/where to look for? I'm baffled at this point.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMary View Post
but while I had the utility compartment open, I turned on the vacuum just to see if it was working I guess. It came on and the 12V power came on immediately, basement lights are now on! Crazy huh. Loose connection somewhere? Coincidence? Anyone have any ideas what/where to look for? I'm baffled at this point.

I assuming the UTILITY COMPARTMENT is the area where your furnace, Black tank and Grey tank is visible. That area is very busy with equipment, ducts, cables and gas line.

When you turned on the vacuum, the flexible vacuum lines moved something. I suspect the DC cable to be DC Fuse box has a loose connect. Turn off the DC main and inspect the DC panel for loose connection.
I also assume the batteries were not discharged.
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3
Old 01-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #3

THOR #13904
Thanks. I will check it when the weather gets a little better. Going to be cold, for Arkansas, for the next few days.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #4

THOR #13904
Turned out to be a loose connection on the power converter. All is well now!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #3109
For a new owner, you catch on fast--finding a loose connection on the converter isn't common. Congrats, and many happy times with the DRV.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #6

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
For a new owner, you catch on fast--finding a loose connection on the converter isn't common. Congrats, and many happy times with the DRV.
I agree. Way to go finding the problem.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Just like, who was it, Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say?

It's always somethin'!