Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Cummins, if ANYONE disagrees with you, you act like it is the end of the world. I just got tired of you berating people for having a different opinion on every subject that gets mentioned on here. Grow up, put your big girl panties on and get a life. You are the main reason I hardly ever get on this forum anymore and after being gone for 3 months, I see nothing has changed. This will be my last post about it.
I asked you to tell me what I said that was wrong, no answer! "BERATING" ??? Please show PROOF of this. Because I said something you disagree with? If so state fact to correct me not go telling me to "grow, put your big girl panties on and get a life".

I like FACTS or real world experience, that's how we all learn. Name calling does no good, if you don't like what i say I am sure there is a block feature.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Jacking up your DRV to change a tire

I had a conversation with a Lippert Tech rep on a different issue. But, I did ask him if I could use a Level-Up to lift the RV to remove a tire. His answer was not only no, but heck no. He did not say why, but I suspect the reason was not the capability of the level-up to lift the RV, but the safety of procedure.

I have not had to change a tire yet and hopefully, never will have to. I do carry a suitable bottle jack with me on my travels.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #43

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Dave, that's Lippert doing "CYA" advice (IMHO). We've been to un-level sites for days on end with one side or the other well off the ground, like 3" to 4" off of the ground and NO issues. I would think you 'might' be able to raise your trailer just long enough to remove a tire and or hub for inspection or whatever and not really put yourself in harms way. Of course you should place safety stands or blocking just in case.

I'm sure others will concur. Think about this, when you drop your trailer the front jacks will hold up the front end indefinatley. I know now that my front jacks have been replaced my trailer stays up with NO slipping down! Just my 2 cents though YMMV.

Dan
Old 06-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #44

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
I too have used the hydraulics to raise one side off the ground. We had a blow out on the road and I used it for the 30 minutes it took to change the wheel. When I remove a wheel to do brakes or inspect bearings I place wood blocks under the other wheel just in case, but after 6 years of RVing no problems.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:38 AM   #45

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
[QUOTE=GeorgiaHybrid;122727]Cummins, if ANYONE disagrees with you, you act like it is the end of the world. I just got tired of you berating people for having a different opinion on every subject that gets mentioned on here. Grow up, put your big girl panties on and get a life. You are the main reason I hardly ever get on this forum anymore and after being gone for 3 months, I see nothing has changed. This will be my last post about it.

Georgia, I think I'll join you!
I'll leave the Poindexters to run down to the scales when they add a case of water to adjust the tire pressures up/down a ounce or two to offset that extra weight as per their tire inflation charts.
I'll "blindly" inflate mine to the max & head on back over to the Redwood forum where most of them "blindly" just air up their tires & we'll go enjoy!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #46

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I think I speak for many when I say you won't be missed.

Bill
Old 06-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #47

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
I had a conversation with a Lippert Tech rep on a different issue. But, I did ask him if I could use a Level-Up to lift the RV to remove a tire. His answer was not only no, but heck no. He did not say why, but I suspect the reason was not the capability of the level-up to lift the RV, but the safety of procedure.

I have not had to change a tire yet and hopefully, never will have to. I do carry a suitable bottle jack with me on my travels.

As mentioned it's a CYA on threir part! Conditions may not allow for use of hydraulic rams on the road so I pack a TrailerAid Plus. Pic is along side of CA Hwy 1. MUCH better option than bottle jack.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #48

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I think I speak for many when I say you won't be missed.

Bill
HAAAAA, as they say don't let the door hit you in the AZZ!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #49

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Not that it matters. But when I have had one on ones with two of the engineers behind LevelUp, they were both of the same mindset. The system is absolutely capable of lilting the RV off the ground, safely.

Because people will try they without exercising due caution the lawyers are involved.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #50

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Several years ago I met Dale Fenton in Booneville, MO. He is the man that invented and designed the Level Up system. He designed it strictly for DRV. He also invented the Trail Aire pin box and spring system. After deciding to retire he moved back to Booneville and sold his company to Lippert, who owns it now. Lippert decided to release the system to all manuf. Good business decision.

Anyway, Dale told me is rated and able to lift the entire trailer off the ground and keep it there for an extended period of time. I choose to believe him. Since he designed and engineered it all. Can't get much closer to the source than that. The people who answer the phone at Lippert are "techs", not engineers. They are qualified to answer the phone and read off of a list put together by someone else who also is not an engineer. There opinion will (and does) change with how wins the super bowl or dancing with the stars.

The problem with it for a time was the seal and groove design that was put in the front jacks leaked. Same seal was used in the rear jacks with out many problems. Seem to have it figured out now though.

And that's MY experience and opinion. Good luck with yours.

Bill
Old 06-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #51

State: Texas
THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post

Good morning, David. With my son in law, in my garage, I recently rotated and added Dyna-Beads to all tires for balancing, and used the level up to lift the coach. Being cautious, I placed jack stands under each side as I lifted it. I'm sure the tech has more knowledge than I, but I didn't see a problem with the lift.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #52

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Good morning, David. With my son in law, in my garage, I recently rotated and added Dyna-Beads to all tires for balancing, and used the level up to lift the coach. Being cautious, I placed jack stands under each side as I lifted it. I'm sure the tech has more knowledge than I, but I didn't see a problem with the lift.

Did you replace the valve stem cores with bead specific parts ?

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 06-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #53

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
Did you replace the valve stem cores with bead specific parts ?
I used balance beads in my motorcycle for over 8 years with no issue using the standard valve cores.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #54

THOR #9543
I, too, used oe valve stems on my bike, but this kit came with stems, so I used them.

Well, guys and gals, off topic, but I’m in the middle of installing Air Tabs on the back of my coach and making my first attempt at painting. I had paint mixed, bought a hvlp gun, and was going over a few on line things before pulling the trigger. Saw this post and replied. Wish me luck.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #55

THOR #4314
If I remember correctly, when I used the Dina Beads for my GY 114 H tires the beads were too large to get through the stems even with the new valves. I was replacing the tires so we just pored them in when they got mounted to the wheel rims. Things may have changed since then, about 5 years ago.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #56

THOR #9431
Previous trailer, my first set of G-114’s were unbalanced.
After a blowout (and $6,200+ damage) I bought all new tires and the Goodyear dealer used a liquid tire balance.

Couldn’t tell you one way or the other if it works, but it is a HDT use product.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #57

THOR #3109
Duane,
What would have to be done if one of the tires needs to be dismounted? Chances would be rare, but...
Joe
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #58

THOR #9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf-bears View Post
If I remember correctly, when I used the Dina Beads for my GY 114 H tires the beads were too large to get through the stems even with the new valves. I was replacing the tires so we just pored them in when they got mounted to the wheel rims. Things may have changed since then, about 5 years ago.
Golf, a tube and bottle were supplied. Put the beads in the bottle, tube over the bottle nipple and over the valve stem and slowly pour them in. A blockage WILL occur; squeeze the bottle and ‘squirt’ them in; no problemo.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #59

THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Duane,
What would have to be done if one of the tires needs to be dismounted? Chances would be rare, but...
Joe
As far as ?

Recovering the liquid ?

Non issue, I bought a case of the product to use on my truck and still have several bottles. Although I don’t carry them in the rig.

If I had to have a tire removed I would let the service guy know in advance so he exercises some care once off and dropping on the deck - splash warning.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Old 06-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #60

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Golf, a tube and bottle were supplied. Put the beads in the bottle, tube over the bottle nipple and over the valve stem and slowly pour them in. A blockage WILL occur; squeeze the bottle and ‘squirt’ them in; no problemo.
I also used an engraver on the stem of the funnel. Just that little vibration kept the beads flowing.