Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Truck and RV insurance

We currently have National General Insurance (which used to be GMAC) for our current truck, car, and Select Suite. It keeps going up every year even though we make zero claims.

With the new 2016 DRV 43' Atlanta coming in next month, we are thinking of checking out other vendors. Who do you use? Name & number of a contact?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
I use the same GS company as you. Got a quote today two cars and coach just a little under 2,000.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Check and make sure contents are covered with your insurance. I was told by my agent the contents are covered under my home owners.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #4

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Shop them with Blue Sky Insurance. I had Progressve and switched. I got more coverage for less money. Let me know if you want to contact that I spoke with.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
We've had great service from Nationwide on our Thor Axis. We were vandalized 3 months after we bought the rig. Two TVs and miscellaneous other stuff stolen along with some significant damage. All was paid quickly, and they were happy to make "alternate" arrangements for payment.

I got a quote from CW, then made a counter-offer to Nationwide. I would do the work for $800 less than CW - which I would split with Nationwide if they'd waive the deductible. They were happy to do it, I was able to do the repairs (bettter quality than CW), upgrade the TV's significantly (cheaper than CW), all with no money out of pocket.

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
AARP /Hartford by far cheapest quote I got
Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Model: 36 RSSB3
THOR #2152
National Interstate or Blue Sky
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #8

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Interesting stuff. Debbie has been on the phone to Marlene at Miller Insurance Agency in Oregon. It seems that the best policy is with the company we have now (National General), and it seems that with the same coverages we have now, it will be cheaper AND we will be able to pay for an entire year instead of every 6 months.

We've been with NG for years. I just wonder why they didn't give us the better rate automatically?

Joe
Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
USAA.

However, they subcontract their RV insurance to Progressive. Still, its about 20% cheaper than going through Progressive directly.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #10

Model: 34 RESA3
THOR #2416
After the accident we had this summer, we no longer judge insurance solely by the amount of the premium. Our trailer was T boned by a young lady who was texting and though she had insurance, her liability limits were insufficient to cover replacing our trailer. We are covered (truck and trailer) by Blue Sky. We are glad we chose replacement coverage because our trailer was totaled. We pay about $2500 a year in premiums.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I agree with Talltexan. The price of insurance is one thing but the coverage is everything. As stated in other posts we lost everything due to a tornado house, 2 cars, boat and everything we owned. Fortunately our insurance came through big time.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
Interesting stuff. Debbie has been on the phone to Marlene at Miller Insurance Agency in Oregon. It seems that the best policy is with the company we have now (National General), and it seems that with the same coverages we have now, it will be cheaper AND we will be able to pay for an entire year instead of every 6 months.

We've been with NG for years. I just wonder why they didn't give us the better rate automatically?

Joe
They never do. I try to shop my rates every year or two.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #13

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
USAA.

However, they subcontract their RV insurance to Progressive. Still, its about 20% cheaper than going through Progressive directly.
Did you know that Progressive will also give you a discount if you give them your usaa member number? I had USAA for 20 years and switched as I received better coverage for 20% less. I shopped them years latter and the cost had doubled...
Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #14

Model: 34 RESA3
THOR #2416
Annually, we use an insurance broker who "shops" all insurance companies who will write fulltimers coverage (that provide coverage in all states and provinces). We had National Interstate for 7 years and switched to Blue Sky the last 3 years. Again, I will suggest, please do not judge insurance by premium costs alone. The most important aspect of insurance is how their adjusters treat you after a loss. And, by all means, make sure whichever company you choose, to purchase replacement coverage on both your truck and trailer.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #15

Model: TK3
State: Georgia
THOR #3124
We use Allstate and so far so good.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:07 AM   #16

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltexan View Post
Annually, we use an insurance broker who "shops" all insurance companies who will write fulltimers coverage (that provide coverage in all states and provinces). We had National Interstate for 7 years and switched to Blue Sky the last 3 years. Again, I will suggest, please do not judge insurance by premium costs alone. The most important aspect of insurance is how their adjusters treat you after a loss. And, by all means, make sure whichever company you choose, to purchase replacement coverage on both your truck and trailer.
I agree completely. They seemed to offer coverages that others did not. That was also a big reason as to why I went with them.