Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 34 RESA3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2416
Smile TV utilization in new rig

We currently have TV service provided by Direct TV. We have two receivers, an HD DVR receiver with the main TV in the living room and an HD receiver in the bedroom of our trailer. Since we were involved in an accident and could no longer use our trailer on 5/23, we put our Direct TV service on vacation until Sept 7th. We are considering options going forward with the new unit. For one thing, we will have a 3rd TV outside the trailer, which makes us wonder about how we would be able to get satellite reception about that outside TV. We also have heard of a Genie type of equipment that allows, if we understand it correctly, you to view satellite programming in multiple locations. My wife likes to record programs, also, and would not like to lose that feature. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations for us?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

Model: 38 RSSA
State: Tennessee
THOR #2122
Genie

Upgrade to the Genie system. The main box is much smaller and can record multiple show at once. Then you can go with wireless boxes for the other TVs and you can watch a different show on each TV. Just put the system in our new DRV
Old 09-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
THOR #2022
You didn't say where your antenna is. That would determine how to connect all of your TVs to Directv.
Craig
Old 09-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

THOR #2416
Steadfast,
My new trailer has a Direct TV roof mounted satellite dish.
Keyspirate,
I would like to talk some specifics with you, such as did you install it yourself or use a Direct TV tech, what were the model #s on the equipment, costs, etc. Perhaps you could send me a private message.
John
Old 09-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltexan View Post
I would like to talk some specifics with you, such as did you install it yourself or use a Direct TV tech, what were the model #s on the equipment, costs, etc. Perhaps you could send me a private message.
With all respect, I think that information would be valuable to all of us who are interested in installing or upgrading our DirecTV systems to current state-of-the-art. My vote is to keep the discussion public.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #6

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
YEA, NO secret squirrel on here!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

THOR #2416
Keyspirate,
Feel free to spill it all to the forum. Just wanted you to have the option to speak privately, if you so wish.
John
Old 09-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

Model: 38PS3
State: Idaho
THOR #2022
I don't want to give anyone the impression that I am the last word when it comes to Directv installations. I am just a subscriber that has studied it enough to set up my own external dish and now have the roof mounted Winegard in our 2016 MS.

Having said that I will try to help. When you order a roof dish on a new coach from DRV they will install the SK-SWM3. That is Winegards newest and it is a SWiM dish. That will mean that any receiver you plan to use will have to be able to run on the SWiM system. The Genie receiver is SWiM only.
You can see a wiring diagram on page 5 of the dish instruction manual found here:
Winegard Company Antenna Support, Troubleshooting

As you can see, the diagram shows two receivers. If you are doing the two inside but adding the third outside receiver you are going to have to add a splitter. DRV installs the initial splitter in the roof so it probably will not be accessable. You can possibly add a second 2way splitter above the living room TV and then port the signal out to the regular satellite connection on the outside of the coach.

The SWiM system runs at a higher frequency so make sure your new splitter is SWiM compatible.

You may want to go the easier route if you get a Genie for your main TV and that is to get the wireless Genie mini and bridge for your outside TV.
Craig
Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

Model: 38 RSSA
State: Tennessee
THOR #2122
I will try to answer your questions. 1. Roof mounted dish was transferred by selling dealer from trade in (same model that DRV installs). 2. At that time I had 2 older Direct TV DVR boxes. Found they didn't fit well in cabinets. 3. Went to Direct TV's web page and checked on the Genie system and found there boxes were much smaller. 4. Called Direct TV and found out that I was due for a free upgrade, so I ordered 1 Genie DVR (mothership) 1 wireless transmitter and multiple wireless boxes for the other TVs. This was for my home. 5. When I go on the road I take the mothership,wireless transmitter and wireless boxes to the RV. Plug them in and go. The only special piece of equipment required is a SWM splitter (given to me by the Direct TV installer) before the mothership going to the mothership and wireless transmitter. Takes less than 10 minutes.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #10

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Minnesota
THOR #1990
If you remove the trim ring on the max air fan in the bathroom, you will find the splitter and 4 or 5 cables in that area. I moved my splitter to the entertainment cabinet in the living room. By ohming out the cables I determined where they all went. I then coupled them as necessary so I had a home run from the bedroom TV and one from outside bay, both going to entertainment area. The IRD out on the power inserter goes to power in on spitter. Each DVR has one cable going to splitter. The SWM power from power inserter goes to which ever dish you are using, either roof or tripod. I have push on connectors on cables going to dish. Very simple if I am using tripod I unplug cable from roof mounted dish and plug in tripod mount.
Hope this is not too confusing.

Don