Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14848
Slide out seal

Hello all....have a 2015 Tradition 385RSS.....I’m looking to replace the seal that runs the length of the top of the passenger side slide out. Do we just replace with a generic...is there a specific style?? It appears to me to be a different style than the slides on the other side use...not sure if one or more have been replaced. Would love some links!!

Thanks......

Old 03-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagato1750 View Post
Hello all....have a 2015 Tradition 385RSS.....I’m looking to replace the seal that runs the length of the top of the passenger side slide out. Do we just replace with a generic...is there a specific style?? It appears to me to be a different style than the slides on the other side use...not sure if one or more have been replaced. Would love some links!!

Thanks......
Do you mean the D seal that seals the slide when closed or the seals that seal the slide when open? If it is the latter I’m 99% sure that you would have to pull the slide out to replace it.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:40 PM   #3

THOR #14848
Without knowing exactly what I’m actually talking about [emoji849].....I would say it is the seal That would be replaceable with the slide out....it’s visible....running the length of the top of slide when the slide is extended.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #4

THOR #1658
This image is not the top of the slide, but it gives you an idea of the seals that I’m trying to explain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D13EA8CD-8103-4A81-B9F1-0E96F8C7558F.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	22974  
Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #5

THOR #14848
I’m going to say it’s not the D-seal....the other....that said, if possible, what would l look for...parts wise for both?
Old 03-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #6

THOR #14848
I say that because.....realizing one is likely a bit more difficult to replace than the other.....it might be wise to replace both.

And thanks for taking the time to answer this....we are relatively new to this.....sold our house...bought this 5th wheel and are living in it full time preparing for retirement and travel....I’m relatively handy, and am not too apprehensive about most all repairs having been a mechanic both automotive and avionics for an airline...but never dealt with an RV. And I know enough to know I don’t know enough....and asking the experts is the quickest method of understanding...
Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 AM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
I say that because.....realizing one is likely a bit more difficult to replace than the other.....it might be wise to replace both.

And thanks for taking the time to answer this....we are relatively new to this.....sold our house...bought this 5th wheel and are living in it full time preparing for retirement and travel....I’m relatively handy, and am not too apprehensive about most all repairs having been a mechanic both automotive and avionics for an airline...but never dealt with an RV. And I know enough to know I don’t know enough....and asking the experts is the quickest method of understanding...
Why do you think that the seal needs to be replaced?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
You wanted a link, heres a great place for seals of all kinds
https://www.steelerubber.com/
Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #9

THOR #14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Why do you think that the seal needs to be replaced?

Well.....here goes with a “crap”.....should’ve figured that! We are in.....beautiful.....Tulsa......I say that with a wink, and before I get firebombed over it I’m a life long okie so I feel I’ve earned the right to poke fun at my state whenever I want. I say “beautiful” because the weather here has been miserable. The other night we had copious amounts of rain....my wife texted me about a leak dripping al along one slide. I wasn’t able to look at it until midday the next day. We recently had moved the rig to a different spot in the same park.....had it moved because I haven’t purchased a truck yet.

Long story....well...I neglected to get up and check the slides after extending them back out after the move. The one “flap” style seal didn’t come back out correctly. It was rolled up under the edge.....I pulled it out correctly...today it’s flood watch pouring down rain....no leaks!!

Now.....all that being said....that one seal just looks as though it’s not sitting correct, it “bows” out......it’s working though! I just thought I might want to attempt to replace it soon.

Whew! Lots of info there!!

Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
"before I get firebombed over it I’m a life long okie"

HE!! I was made there!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #11

THOR #14848
Yup....me too! I put the disclaimer in because it seems people have become so dang sensitive these days that as I was typing it I could see someone getting offended.....but that’s a whole topic on its own!
Old 03-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Well.....here goes with a “crap”.....should’ve figured that! We are in.....beautiful.....Tulsa......I say that with a wink, and before I get firebombed over it I’m a life long okie so I feel I’ve earned the right to poke fun at my state whenever I want. I say “beautiful” because the weather here has been miserable. The other night we had copious amounts of rain....my wife texted me about a leak dripping al along one slide. I wasn’t able to look at it until midday the next day. We recently had moved the rig to a different spot in the same park.....had it moved because I haven’t purchased a truck yet.

Long story....well...I neglected to get up and check the slides after extending them back out after the move. The one “flap” style seal didn’t come back out correctly. It was rolled up under the edge.....I pulled it out correctly...today it’s flood watch pouring down rain....no leaks!!

Now.....all that being said....that one seal just looks as though it’s not sitting correct, it “bows” out......it’s working though! I just thought I might want to attempt to replace it soon.

Whew! Lots of info there!!

Thanks
I check all of my seals to make sure that they are sitting like they should. There are certain seals that I need to set to there correct position every time. For me it is just part of the set up procedure. I carry an 8’ ladder with me to do it. I also chose not to stick those black plastic pieces on the side of the slide to help them. I do not like the look of them, plus it is a bandaid and only addresses the effect, not the problem.
Glad to hear that you found the issue and are dry.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:17 AM   #13

THOR #1658
On a side note, under brand it states still looking. Is this DRV just a temporary rig for you?
Old 03-20-2020, 12:51 AM   #14

THOR #14848
No sir. I must have missed that when signing up. We’re actually quite happy with the DRV....and if we were to change, it’d most likely be an upgrade to a M/S. That said, we completely repainted the interior and replaced all the flooring to make it a bit more current. Counter tops are likely next.

So......if I were to look for new seals.....any clue what part numbers...or styles of seals....or where?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #15

THOR #1658
Quote:
No sir. I must have missed that when signing up. We’re actually quite happy with the DRV....and if we were to change, it’d most likely be an upgrade to a M/S. That said, we completely repainted the interior and replaced all the flooring to make it a bit more current. Counter tops are likely next.

So......if I were to look for new seals.....any clue what part numbers...or styles of seals....or where?

Thanks
I have Know idea, I would contact DRV parts with your vin and they should be able to tell you any part number that was built with your rig.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #16

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I use a broom handle to flip the seals when setting up. No STUPID stick on flippers for me!
Old 03-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #17

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I use a broom handle to flip the seals when setting up. No STUPID stick on flippers for me!
I use my left over manual awning stick

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:35 AM   #18
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
I use my left over manual awning stick
X2:
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #19

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Are you sure it needs to be replaced? It reads like it's just hanging up.. Mine do that and I also 'flip them outward' after the slide is extended. Are you maintaining the seals? A little talcum powder goes a long way to help it 'slip' better. You wrote it's 'cupped'. Sounds like it's taken shape from being rolled under when the slide is retracted. Flip it out, put some talcum powder on it and let it sit for a while. You proved it seals when properly set.