Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Angry What’s wrong with this picture?

This photo explains it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EED011F-5104-4609-AD6E-E76FE0C4638F.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	22539  

Old 02-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #2

THOR #1658
I was wondering why my rig was losing power multiple times a day.

This is really a simple Math equation.

The picture in the first post is 1.

This picture is +1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3BAC5B90-A0C2-4C82-9093-9F39650C5C24.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	22540  
Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 AM   #3

THOR #1658
Those two pictures =
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0980EE2-38FA-45A2-AD67-D8B83CE973B4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	22541  
Old 02-13-2020, 05:24 AM   #4

THOR #1658
This is just demonstrating how well it works. My EMS kept disconnecting my rig over the past couple of days. This explains why. Something must REALLY be wrong as it is in the low 60’s so no one has A/Cs on nor is there a large demand on the parks system.
The haters of the Hugh’s Autoformer would be sitting in the dark, if they had a monitoring system or they could be causing damage to there electronics and motors on there rig.
So to me, this is a mandatory tool to carry.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
The autoformer needs to be IN FRONT OF the EMS to prevent EMS turnoff.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm not sure if I agree with your assumption that 'others...would be sitting in the dark', as I'm sure no one else in the same park has lost power. I also don't necessarily agree that 'just because' your voltmeter shows what you consider as 'low voltage', really is low voltage. Most any appliances or electronics have plenty of wiggle room when it comes to the variances in voltage, and are designed to handle it.

No, there's no 'haters' about using various devices, if it makes you feel good and let's you sleep easier at night, but the very vast majority of RV owners don't use them, and aren't 'in the dark', either.

Just like in anything in life, there are possibilities for 'everything you can imagine', but the reality is that the PROBABILITY is very, very slim, and well overstated by a few.

100,000+ miles over 5+ years and never any 'device' onboard or at the pedestal or any issues or problems...and we've seen a LOT of campground, rv parks, and private electrical situations where you might 'assume' there could be an issue - whether in the humidity-filled heat of the summer, or the wild low temps of the winter, or where the 'brother-in-law' is the 'electrician'. : ) It's all good, nobody's a hater.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
RV'ers wont be sitting in the dark. Lighting is 12 volts. Low voltage will not effect most modern electronics . They have a large voltage swing tolerance. No use for an autoformer there. What will happen is RV'ers will be sitting in the heat because low voltage can and will over time destroy an A/C compressor and residential fridges.

Low voltage and electric motors don't play nice!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

Model: 36TK3
State: California
THOR #2059
My guess is most who claim to never have a problem just don't know when they do.

rynosback, do you have a method for theft protection?
Old 02-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #9

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Mine is installed in the cord reel compartment. It's plug n play.

Camco 50A ends. I secured it from moving around with a couple pcs of 1/2" "L"

Old 02-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm just about to be ready to install reels for macerator and power and shore water.
Do you find value in yours?
Oddly, I already have self retracting, not motor powered reels, you know the kind that clicks and spring winds itself, just sitting around(I attend far too many auctions).

But I hesitate due to the huge sizes I have.

While considering the motored units I can't see a value in having to hold down a button while the line, water or electric, drags itself back through the grass and dirt. But, I haven't had the chance to speak with anyone who uses such a reel on purpose, not just because it came with the coach and they're married to it.

I want them, due to want and a perceived convenience, but are they convenient in retracting or just convenient as a reel?
We don't hook up at a site for very long. We dump a tank, fill a tank and don't stay hooked up the whole camp time. We hook to shore power only as a convenience since it's there.

Yup, it's a hijack.
The religion associated with that electrical box is exactly that, religion, on both sides.
No one will sway.
If you have the money, buy the peace of mind and quit recruiting and justifying.
If you don't want one, quit the conversation or just post a link to the last three no-win conversation threads.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The autoformer needs to be IN FRONT OF the EMS to prevent EMS turnoff.
Thanks, I’m aware of that. My EMS is hardwired and the Autoformer is plugged in at the pedestal.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by anijet View Post
My guess is most who claim to never have a problem just don't know when they do.

rynosback, do you have a method for theft protection?
I completely agree with that. Some people do not get surge protectors until, they are hit with one and takes out hundreds or thousands of $$ worth of there equipment (anything electronic plugged in). I carry an Autoformer as an insurance policy that I do not need to renew annually.

Yes, it is locked to the pedestal by cable or chain with a lock. They are way to expensive to leave them unlocked.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #13

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
"My EMS is hardwired and the Autoformer is plugged in at the pedestal."

Not for long!!!
Old 02-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
RV'ers wont be sitting in the dark. Lighting is 12 volts. Low voltage will not effect most modern electronics . They have a large voltage swing tolerance. No use for an autoformer there. What will happen is RV'ers will be sitting in the heat because low voltage can and will over time destroy an A/C compressor and residential fridges.

Low voltage and electric motors don't play nice!
I think you took my sitting in the dark to seriously. This post was really just posted to show the effectiveness of the Autoformer and how well it works. Sorry that did not come across that way as I intended. The point is that they would not have power coming in from the pedestal if they had some sort of monitoring system.
As 105v is way to low.

“In the United States and Canada, national standards specify that the nominal voltage at the source should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 V to 126 V (RMS) (−5% to +5%). Historically 110 V, 115 V and 117 V have been used at different times and places in North America.”
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #15

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with your assumption that 'others...would be sitting in the dark', as I'm sure no one else in the same park has lost power. I also don't necessarily agree that 'just because' your voltmeter shows what you consider as 'low voltage', really is low voltage. Most any appliances or electronics have plenty of wiggle room when it comes to the variances in voltage, and are designed to handle it.

No, there's no 'haters' about using various devices, if it makes you feel good and let's you sleep easier at night, but the very vast majority of RV owners don't use them, and aren't 'in the dark', either.

Just like in anything in life, there are possibilities for 'everything you can imagine', but the reality is that the PROBABILITY is very, very slim, and well overstated by a few.

100,000+ miles over 5+ years and never any 'device' onboard or at the pedestal or any issues or problems...and we've seen a LOT of campground, rv parks, and private electrical situations where you might 'assume' there could be an issue - whether in the humidity-filled heat of the summer, or the wild low temps of the winter, or where the 'brother-in-law' is the 'electrician'. : ) It's all good, nobody's a hater.
So you would have no issue plugging into a source of power that is sitting at 105v?
I personally would not plug into that with out an Autoformer to boost the voltage.
“In the United States and Canada, national standards specify that the nominal voltage at the source should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 V to 126 V (RMS) (−5% to +5%). Historically 110 V, 115 V and 117 V have been used at different times and places in North America.”

The whole point of this post is to show low voltage and how the Autoformer takes way to low voltage and boosts it to an acceptable voltage (with in limits set by National Standards).
Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #16

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"My EMS is hardwired and the Autoformer is plugged in at the pedestal."

Not for long!!!
That is true.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #17

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'm just about to be ready to install reels for macerator and power and shore water.
Do you find value in yours?
Oddly, I already have self retracting, not motor powered reels, you know the kind that clicks and spring winds itself, just sitting around(I attend far too many auctions).

But I hesitate due to the huge sizes I have.

While considering the motored units I can't see a value in having to hold down a button while the line, water or electric, drags itself back through the grass and dirt. But, I haven't had the chance to speak with anyone who uses such a reel on purpose, not just because it came with the coach and they're married to it.

I want them, due to want and a perceived convenience, but are they convenient in retracting or just convenient as a reel?
We don't hook up at a site for very long. We dump a tank, fill a tank and don't stay hooked up the whole camp time. We hook to shore power only as a convenience since it's there.

Yup, it's a hijack.
The religion associated with that electrical box is exactly that, religion, on both sides.
No one will sway.
If you have the money, buy the peace of mind and quit recruiting and justifying.
If you don't want one, quit the conversation or just post a link to the last three no-win conversation threads.
WOW! All I have to say is WOW!
Old 02-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #18

THOR #1658
I’m so glad that some people got the gist of what I was posting.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #19

Model: Full House JX450
State: Arkansas
THOR #17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Mine is installed in the cord reel compartment. It's plug n play.

Camco 50A ends. I secured it from moving around with a couple pcs of 1/2" "L"

I’ve been wanting an Autoformer. I don’t really like the idea of having it outside the trailer though. I like the way you have it tucked into your compartment. I need to take some measurements to see if it would fit in mine.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:21 AM   #20

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
I’ve been wanting an Autoformer. I don’t really like the idea of having it outside the trailer though. I like the way you have it tucked into your compartment. I need to take some measurements to see if it would fit in mine.
Nor sure why it would not work.