Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Question WiFi Ranger technical information needed

Well, I need to replace my WiFi Ranger for the 3rd time. I have emailed DRV to find out where are all of the components are located. Where the power comes from or even a schematic. This is our emails,

ME - I sent this quote from WiFi Ranger. If you ONLY have a rooftop device, the cable is connected to a 12V or 120V outlet inside the RV using what is called a Power Over Ethernet (POE) adapter. Your Sky2 is powered by a 12V POE; but both the Sky3 and SkyPro currently use a 24V POE. Do you know where the inside cable is connected in your RV? If so, it would be easy to swap the existing POE for a 24V one.

DRV - ”I believe you would have the SKYII rooftop only with a 12v wire run to the switch in the closet.”

ME - “What kind of wire/wires specifically? Where is the power source connected? Is there a wiring schematic?”

DRV - “It is just a plain old 12v wire, I think its blue.

There is not a schematic.”

WiFi Rangers support has been very good and helpful, but I can not get any answers from DRV.
Does anyone know the answers?
Thanks

Disclaimer:
If you do not own a DRV please do not tell me where your components are located on your Thor product as DRV did not build it.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 AM   #2

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
This sounds accurate to me, in my experience with this appliance.
The rooftop module is indeed powered by 10-14VDC by means of power supplied via low voltage wiring.
In our coach as described the power originates from the 12VDC distribution panel in the control cabinet. From a panel mounted single pole toggle switch it (twisted pair similar to doorbell wire) sweeps up the wire chase to the roof area where it is fed to the WFR roof mounted box. Run through the bottom of the box grommet the installer crimped on an RJ-45 Ethernet connector that plugs into the WFR module. (terminals 12VDC+ #1, 12VDC- #6)
There are probably are no other components. The described POE injector(s) is used in other/different applications.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #3

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post
This sounds accurate to me, in my experience with this appliance.
The rooftop module is indeed powered by 10-14VDC by means of power supplied via low voltage wiring.
In our coach as described the power originates from the 12VDC distribution panel in the control cabinet. From a panel mounted single pole toggle switch it (twisted pair similar to doorbell wire) sweeps up the wire chase to the roof area where it is fed to the WFR roof mounted box. Run through the bottom of the box grommet the installer crimped on an RJ-45 Ethernet connector that plugs into the WFR module. (terminals 12VDC+ #1, 12VDC- #6)
There are probably are no other components. The described POE injector(s) is used in other/different applications.
Described where? Not sure what you mean by doorbell wire? WiFi Ranger is telling me that there should be a POE Injector with in the Rangers supply side. Not just a 16 gage wire (guessing) that runs from the 12 volt source to the switch to the Ranger.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

THOR #1658
Ranger not listed in my 12volt distribution panel in the control cabinet.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Ryan, didn’t you buy your trailer through RR? Maybe fire off an e mail to Slade and ask If he has any experience with the WIFI Ranger similar to your unit. In all the repair situations he’s done maybe he’s seen that power wire you’re questioning and might have suggestions for your replacement.

Dan
Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Ryan, didn’t you buy your trailer through RR? Maybe fire off an e mail to Slade and ask If he has any experience with the WIFI Ranger similar to your unit. In all the repair situations he’s done maybe he’s seen that power wire you’re questioning and might have suggestions for your replacement.

Dan
Dan, no I did not buy it from RR. Wish I did though. The dealer I bought it from did a HORIABLE PMI. They even missed that the WiFi Ranger was never installed, even though I ordered it. I might just drop Slade an email. They have worked on our Rig twice since we have had it.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Described where? (By your iniitial post and perhaps WFR tech support) Not sure what you mean by doorbell wire? WiFi Ranger is telling me that there should be a POE Injector with in the Rangers supply side. Not just a 16 gage wire (guessing) that runs from the 12 volt source to the switch to the Ranger. (My investigation confirms this fact)
POE injection is just that, It provides usable power for some devices over an 802.xx Ethernet infrastructure via cat-x cabling. In the case of the WFR that is supplied in these particular applications the 12VDC is injected via the house 12VDC. to the appropriate terminals which is more or less what an Ubiquiti POE injector (or any other modular product) would do. I was also under the "illusion" that there was more there, than actually is.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #14588
Same basic question, newer unit

Hi All:

Know this entry is a little later than original threads, but need help with almost the same basic question. Just bought a 2019 Thor Miramar 35.2 - so far we love it, but there are some unanswered questions about our unit. Dealer bought from said there is no wifi extenders in this unit. That said, in a couple of days after shock over with, we finally saw the "Unit equipped with wifi range extender" sign, and then found a Sky3 unit on roof. Calls to Thor and Sky3 company couldn't pinpoint where the "on/off" switch was, only to saay it was tied to battery power and with no switch. Looking closer at the roof mounted sky3 unit showed no lights, but unit flood with water. Know this is likely cause of malfunction (working on warranty part), but still need to know how to turn on/find power source. Can anyone assist, please? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcstroll View Post
Hi All:

Know this entry is a little later than original threads, but need help with almost the same basic question. Just bought a 2019 Thor Miramar 35.2 - so far we love it, but there are some unanswered questions about our unit. Dealer bought from said there is no wifi extenders in this unit. That said, in a couple of days after shock over with, we finally saw the "Unit equipped with wifi range extender" sign, and then found a Sky3 unit on roof. Calls to Thor and Sky3 company couldn't pinpoint where the "on/off" switch was, only to saay it was tied to battery power and with no switch. Looking closer at the roof mounted sky3 unit showed no lights, but unit flood with water. Know this is likely cause of malfunction (working on warranty part), but still need to know how to turn on/find power source. Can anyone assist, please? Thanks!
There should be an on off switch. The RV builder would know where the switch is as they installed the unit. As far as water in the unit. I would think that the RV builder would also be responsible for the water in the unit. As they had to have it open to mount and hook up the wires to it. So they did not seal it properly. I do not even use my Ranger on the roof. I have been using a Ranger Go/Ac. It has been working great for about a year and a half.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:23 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #14588
Thanks!. Also agree, but will find out once taken to authorized repair . Should be very soon and will use comments to assist. Thank you!!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Looks like another option I did not get and happy I didn't.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #12

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
I wish I hadn’t either, I’m still not convinced it works!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #13

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
I had a second one installed last October at the factory, like I said, I’m still looking for the benefits.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 AM   #14

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
I have a wifi ranger sky 3 installed and there is no off on switch. It is tied direct to the battery's. BTW mine actually reduces the wifi signal, does not wok well at all.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 AM   #15

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
I have a wifi ranger sky 3 installed and there is no off on switch. It is tied direct to the battery's. BTW mine actually reduces the wifi signal, does not wok well at all.

Jeff
. I have their other version and works awesome.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #16

THOR #3221
On our '15 38RSSA we ordered the WIFI Ranger, ours works well. I've had to update the software a few times but ours works as advertised! Glad we have it.

I'll admit we don't always use it, it depends on where we are and what the CG WIFI is like.

Dan
Old 05-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #9543
We’re forced to be in a park in south Houston for the next 4 months, and the advertised WiFi is barely one tit on the fan. I, too, had ordered the WiFi Ranger and it was not installed. I opted for Alpha WiFi which has a booster and works ~pretty well with a good signal. Now, I really need internet service, more than my Verizon cell phone or hot spot can provide. The park allows monthly’s, to have cable/internet/phone individually installed at their power pole. I really hate to do that with an installation fee and contract. How do I get useable internet/WiFi in my coach that’s capable of streaming?
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #18

THOR #3221
Clev, Have you checked out the WIFI signal near it's source? If the campground you're in doesn't have a decent internet connection it won't support streaming of any kind regardless of a WIFI booster or not.

The WIFI Ranger is a booster, it needs a decent connection to boost to your trailer! Without a decent internet connection or connect speed you're going to be spinning your wheels.

I got into a conversation with one park owner this spring, he was telling me how WIFI signals can vary widely depending on how "advanced" the system in a particular park is. According to this guy a lot of campground owners will get an "entry level" internet/WIFI system in place so they can advertise "free WIFI". This would be the least expensive to them and the WORST for their guests! He went on to tell me a "decent" internet/WIFI system in place will probably cost a park somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k and a lot of owners don't want to lay out that kind of investment. This guy was charging a nominal fee for "decent" WIFI and I have to say once connected to THAT system our internet was STELLAR! You get what you pay for......

Dan
Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #9543
Thank you again, dapper, and I would gladly pay an extra fee for good streaming capable wifi; nothing available here other than camp wifi, and they know it’s useless.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote