Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
Winegard Razar 8500

I am so fed up with this antenna, that if I wasn’t crippled, I’d crawl up there, rip it off the roof, and beat it with a hammer. Yes, I have a little bit of a temper. The darn thing never picked up channels very well, but every time I called CS, they gave me a reason why it was my location. Now, 3 years later, and locations all across the states, it’s still a piece of crap. I’m sitting just outside of south loop 610 in Houston, and cannot pick up Fox 26, ABC 13, or ION 49; there are other missing channels, but these are important to me. The doggone stations are only 9 miles away! Is there a better antenna that will replace this poc? I’d like to just remove it and put another one in it’s place. Any suggestions?

2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14848
This might interest you....

https://youtu.be/0CNf3ZS0hyc
Old 05-30-2019, 01:43 AM   #3

THOR #9543
Ceiling is too high to adjust it. Unless, I bring it into the bath area, directly beneath the poc.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
The old style Winegard antenna with the extra bits for digital still gets you the best reception. We have the motorized version and it is still working OK. If I had to replace it, I might go with the manual version and make a tool so that it could be raised and turned without standing on a chair.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:10 AM   #5

THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
I am so fed up with this antenna, that if I wasn’t crippled, I’d crawl up there, rip it off the roof, and beat it with a hammer. Yes, I have a little bit of a temper. The darn thing never picked up channels very well, but every time I called CS, they gave me a reason why it was my location. Now, 3 years later, and locations all across the states, it’s still a piece of crap.
I feel your pain but I haven't decided on an Antenna. The roof top portion was replaced by warranty as the drive motor failed. I'm satisfied about 10% of the time at the places I park. My wife has a place in NW and I bought ANTOP roof mounted antenna. We like it
I'm considering buying another ANTOP product and mounting it on the Rv ladder. This would require running some cable down the ladder and in the bottom of the slide, do I want to do that or continue looking. This ANTOP antenna would be directional requiring manual outside adjustment but at the ladder a piece of cake..
I winter near Kerrville so pointing to San Antono is easy. I think I could use a 360 degree antenna at Kerrville.

https://antopusa.com/
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3
Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #6

THOR #9543
Problem solved. I ordered a Mohu Leaf 50 Antenna from
Amazon. It picked up pretty well inside, but I asked my wife to take it to the roof and hang it on an overhanging tree limb. Installed the cable to the cable hook up in the Level Up compartment. Connected the ‘cable’ cable to the TV input cable with a connector, ran the scan, and picked up 118 channels; it was getting 70’s. None on the channels that I’ve been watching have pixilated and the pictures are either 720p or 1080i. It is amazing that a cheap piece of plastic, hung in a tree, can outperform Winegard’s best, most expensive tv antenna. I’m going to send them pictures and results.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Email Winguard screen Shots of these posts. You should be receiving a reply for your address. They will send you a
FREE REPLACEMENT. Giving you some BS about some of the older units could have been defective and throw the old out.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #8

THOR #9543
Here's our little Mohu50 antenna; the white rectangular thing hanging in the tree, just above the 8500.We'll be here 4 months, so it's well worth the $50. Yes, I'll screen shot this thread and send it along with my picture to Winegard.

And if you're wondering about the banner, it's drying after being washed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mohu50.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	17811  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Maybe as mentioned above your razor is bad.

We have that antenna and so far I’m satisfied with it although it is not our primary signal sender (we use DTV)

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote