Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Winterizing Dishwasher and washing machine

Well sadly made my last trip for the year. Now need to think about winterizing. How do you winterize the dishwasher and clothes washing machine? I'm guessing as far as the refrigerator, just remove the filter and unplug the water hose from the back panel to drain. Is there more to this also? Not use to having all these fancy things.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Winterizing already!?!?! I refuse to even think about this! Sorry!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
Add RV anti-freeze only not auto af. Put about a gallon in washer and run for a few seconds in drain. That will fill the pump and drain hose with the correct amount.

Add about a half of a gallon to dishwasher and run for a few seconds in drain. That again will put AF in the pump and drain hose.

As for the ice and water thru the door refer to your coach manual. There are more things to winterize and you need to follow directions for the coach to be protected for the winter.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #4

Model: 39dbrs3
State: Louisiana
THOR #2513
When we picked up our unit in April, it had been winterized (I assume at the factory) and there was antifreeze in both the washer and dishwasher.
Mrsxbadhabitz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

THOR #1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
Add RV anti-freeze only not auto af. Put about a gallon in washer and run for a few seconds in drain. That will fill the pump and drain hose with the correct amount.

Add about a half of a gallon to dishwasher and run for a few seconds in drain. That again will put AF in the pump and drain hose.

As for the ice and water thru the door refer to your coach manual. There are more things to winterize and you need to follow directions for the coach to be protected for the winter.
Thanks! I've winterized plenty of campers just non that had the DW & clothes washer.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
You need to run antifreeze through all the water lines. Just putting antifreeze in the dishwasher and washing machine isn't enough. The lines connected to the units need to be flushed out with antifreeze too. For the ice maker, run the antifreeze through the water line and let it make some pink ice cubes. Then you can disconnect the water line until you de-winterized.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

THOR #1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
You need to run antifreeze through all the water lines. Just putting antifreeze in the dishwasher and washing machine isn't enough. The lines connected to the units need to be flushed out with antifreeze too. For the ice maker, run the antifreeze through the water line and let it make some pink ice cubes. Then you can disconnect the water line until you de-winterized.
How do you run the antifreeze thru the ice maker? I can understand running it thru the water dispenser while it's sucking the antifreeze but how do you get it to make ice? Where is it pulling the antifreeze from when it decides to shoot water into the ice tray?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

THOR #799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
How do you run the antifreeze thru the ice maker? I can understand running it thru the water dispenser while it's sucking the antifreeze but how do you get it to make ice? Where is it pulling the antifreeze from when it decides to shoot water into the ice tray?
I do it by the same way you do with the water dispenser on the refrigerator only let the ice maker go through a couple of cycles of making ice. For me I have a connecting hose that I stick inside a jug of antifreeze and let the water pump pull the pink stuff through all the water lines. It will also go into the water line that feeds the water dispenser and the ice maker. But be sure to take the filter out of the refrigerator first. I didn't do that the first time and I wasted a lot of antifreeze because the filter took out the pink color in the antifreeze. I kept filling up glass after glass of water out of the dispenser not realizing this for quite a while.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

THOR #1668
Just curious and trying to make sense of this in my head. Why is it important to make anifreeze ice cubes? After all, it is a freezer. I mean what axactlly am I trying to protect?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You want to protect the small tube/pipe that goes to the ice maker inside the unit so that it doesn't freeze. That would be pretty expensive to fix I would imagine.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

THOR #799
I just want to run antifreeze through any line that carried water which includes the ice maker. Maybe overkill on my part but I'm with JamieGeek on this. The cost could be expensive to fix and why risk the chance.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #12

THOR #1668
Anyone just using a compressor to blow the water out?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #13

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Tneagle,

I did on my last fiver but it didn't have a residential fridge with an ice maker nor did it have a dishwasher...
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #14

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Rather just use an Air Compressor

I would rather just use an air compressor to blow the water out.

I thought someone posted that Kitchen Aide said not to run the pink stuff through the water line on the frig.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
Anyone just using a compressor to blow the water out?
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
I would rather just use an air compressor to blow the water out.

I thought someone posted that Kitchen Aide said not to run the pink stuff through the water line on the frig.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Don

Blow Baby Blow!!!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #16

Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
THOR #5696
An ice maker runs on a timer NOT on the amount of ice it makes. There is a way to run the pump to run anti freeze through it faster YOUTUBE it Very easy...
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #17

Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
I connect my compressor to the water inlet and set at 40 psi, then open each faucet one at a time....multiple times until only air escapes. While this is happening I do the same with the ice maker and water in fridge. I then disconnect the inlet water line to the fridge and let it drain and leave disconnected. If you have water in fridge you will need to remove the water reservoir inside the fridge and drain as well. While the compressor is running we run the dishwasher through a cycle until we get an error code stating there is no water source. After all is done I pour RV antifreeze down each drain to clear out the p-traps as well as in the toilet bowl. I also pour water into the dishwasher and try and run through another cycle to get all water out of exit line.

No problems so far....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote