Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1678
Brakes don't work

I had to make a sharp turn pulling into a spot. The pin that applies the brakes if you become detached. I didn't notice it for a while. Now my trailer brakes don't work. I checked the fuse at the brake cylinder and it was good. Suggestions where should I look next?

2008 36RSS3B #4570
2005 Freightliner M2-106 Sport
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #11383
Did the brakes stop you when the pin came out or was that when you stopped pulling? The brakes should have stopped you at that moment, if they didn't stop you then the failure happened before the pin came out.
Is your DC Cutout switch ON?
Clay
Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
If you are all wired up and didnt notice the pin was pulled, its possible you overheated your electromagnets and burned them out from being on too long. You may have to replace them after a through diagnosis.
There is probably a fuse somewhere in line that you may also check to see if power is getting through to the brakes.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
You can check the magnets with a simple even cheep magnetic compass. Hold the compass close to the wheel and have someone apply the brakes. You will see a needle swing if they are working.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

THOR #1678
Thank for the replies.

I found why they don't work, now I just have to fix it.
I have electric over hydraulic brakes and what happen when the pin pulled and it applied the brakes. Something inside one of the wheels broke and allowed the brake fluid to drain out on the ground. Now I have to pull the wheel and find out what needs to be replaced. But that's a job to tackle tomorrow. Fortunately I'm not moving for a couple of weeks so I have time to fix it.
2008 36RSS3B #4570
Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 AM   #6

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
We're empathetic to your issue with your brakes. Hopefully you can locate the deficiency.
Prior to pulling the wheels you might do a cursory inspection of your rubber brake fluid lines. Most of the system is steel tubing with the exception of a short section of rubber brake line at ea. wheel to allow for suspension travel. I have seen on several occasions where these lines may not have been routed correctly. Our trailer had an instance of this where a rubber line was not tightened correctly (angle fitting) and friction rubbed against the fluid bleeding port on the caliper. Among other caliper bolt problems it required replacement. These lines as well as the caliper bolts can be inspected / torqued via the wheel well top area without removal of the wheel.
Other instances of this line routing have been observed where frame risers have been installed without installing longer hoses. The hoses are available in nominal lengths through Kodiak who ships promptly.
As a precaution I've also wrapped our rubber lines with an automotive spiral poly wrap sold by hydraulic shops.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 AM   #7

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Thank for the replies.

I found why they don't work, now I just have to fix it.
I have electric over hydraulic brakes and what happen when the pin pulled and it applied the brakes. Something inside one of the wheels broke and allowed the brake fluid to drain out on the ground. Now I have to pull the wheel and find out what needs to be replaced. But that's a job to tackle tomorrow. Fortunately I'm not moving for a couple of weeks so I have time to fix it.
I would suspect a brake hose. As sometimes they are installed incorrectly from the factory. Some are mounted in a way that they rub on the suspension. Below is a picture of one of my hoses.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

THOR #1678
Thanks for the reminder about the brake line. I should have known that as I've read about that before. I just didn't think about that because be trailer is over 10 years old but sure enough on inspection the line is twisted and has been rubbing against the wheel rim. Now all I have to do is order a new hose and replace it.
2008 36RSS3B #4570
Old 05-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
As I understand it, Kodiac brakes are mostly GM components. Why not take the bad line to your local auto parts store ?
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
As I understand it, Kodiac brakes are mostly GM components. Why not take the bad line to your local auto parts store ?
Best answer!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #11

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
If you pulled the plug on the the pin box breakaway switch and left it unplugged for any length of time, I would suggest replacing it. They are around $10 and tend to get over heated (and sometimes start melting).

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #12

THOR #1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
The reason I ordered it from DRV is because I had to replace one once before because of a blow out and I took it to several different parts stores and none of them could match it. This time I didn't even try. I ordered to from DRV and it came the next day. I was surprised how fast it got here.

I got the hose replaced, bleed the brakes and while I was at it greased the suspension.
2008 36RSS3B #4570
Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
M&M

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #15545
Breakaway circuit breaker wiring

Hello,
Just replaced the cord from the camper to the truck. In the junction box is a auto reset circuit breaker module with 2 connectors marked "AUX" & BAT.
Can anyone provide a wiring diagram so I can connect it up properly?
I'm new to this and dont know how to find.
If you can point me or provide a link or video or call me.
Thanks
M&M
Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #14

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
You should be able to find basic wiring schematics for most trailer brake systems depending on your system type.
IE, https://www.etrailer.com/question-363.html
Bare in mind that the break-away system is stand alone from the truck's braking. Pulling the pin energizes the trailer brakes using the house batteries, or on cargo trailers a separate battery. Although these batteries are often kept charged by the 7-blade connector 12V hot wire.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote