Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3802
Smile New Thor Axis 24.1 owner

Hi y'all. My name is Karen and my family and I are from Austin, Texas and we just bought over very first motorhome. We chose the Thor Axis 24.1 because me and my daughter are going to head out on the road when she graduates from college in April. We are going to travel east for 6 months then return home for Christmas and the head west I have never owned and rv or motorhome so this should be an adventure!!! I chose the Axis for its ease of maneuverability. I would love any tips that anyone may have for me. We are starting local this weekend by taking Loki (the motorhome's name) down to San Antonio for spring break. Has anyone made a set up and take down checklist????

Old 03-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Karen -- welcome and congratulations on the new Axis. You'll find lots of folks here that can answer your questions. If you send me an email at bevedfelker@live.com, I'll send you a cy of the Owners' Manual and Checklists I've compiled to help new users.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome, wishing you many happy trails.

You'll find all kinds of information and checklists in Ed's manual.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

THOR #3802
Thanks Ed! I'll send an email right now
Old 03-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Congrats Karen!! Hope you enjoy your new Axis as much as we've been enjoying ours.
Sounds as if you have quite an adventure planned later on and wishing you happy trails and great memories!!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
You will find Ed Felker's manual a perfect resource. Stay on this forum, lots of information.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

THOR #2601
Karen -- never got email. Try again to bevedfelker@live.com.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Welcome, Karen, to the Axis 24.1 family ! Looking forward to news from you as you break in your new motorhome !
Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #1971
Hope you enjoy your new Axis. Sounds like some good memory making time with your daughter. Safe journeys.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #10

THOR #3802
Hi Ed, I sent it again. I copied the address directly from here. I used my gmail account the first time. This time it will come from my primary account
Old 03-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #11

THOR #3802
Thank you soo much Ed! I have been reading with my morning coffee I am taking particular note of The section on Handling the Axis/Vegas. The day I drove it home from Alverado, Tx to Austin was a very windy day. I felt like I was being thrown all over the road. I just slowed down a bit and kept all the to the right. I am not at all intimidated by driving it but the wind YIKES! I am going to look into the Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizers and the anti sway bars. Do you have any idea on cost of those modifications?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
. Check the air pressure in the tires. Make sure that it is proper.
2. If you have not had it done get a front end alignment at a tuck shop. Not CW or any Ford dealer. If at a Ford dealer make certain that they have the right equipment to do a heavy duty truck alignment
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #13

THOR #2601
Karen -- I don't have either but lots of folks here will probably chime in. I know some got their Saf-,T-Plus direct from the factory near Atlanta. That was around $500 with free installation. I priced it at my dealership and they gave me an estimate of around $700. Their labor charge is around $150 an hour.

Cluless on track bar estimate.

I recommend you drive it for a while first before making handling mods. When I first got ours it was white knuckle all the way. After driving it for about 200 miles I found I was more comfortable with the handling. I thought for sure my front end was way out. I realized it was really me and not the coach. I thinkodt folks here will recommend you be sure the air pressure in the tires are correct and get a front end alignment first before doing the other mods.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 03-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #14

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Congrats on the Axis
I remember that first windy drive in our new Axis! Oh my!
Alignment with increased caster was a huge improvement and a trac-bar knocked out the amplified tail wag from dragging a square box toad. High winds can still be felt sometimes but white knuckles are gone.
Have fun!
Old 03-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #3581
Smile

Welcome, you will find this forum and it's community a true resource, Happy Rving.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Welcome! We just took deliver of our coach two weeks ago. This is a great community. Everyone is a extremely helpful.

Advice:

Make sure you take your coach to a truck alignment shop and get an alignment asap. Your dealer should pay it. If it pulls to the right or to the left, it probably needs a caster shim. Mine pulled to the right and after the caster shim, my coach drives perfectly straight.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #17

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
Sway bars along with a Steering Stabilizer will run around $2500 to install. You can watch the Wynns video to see what kind of effect these additions make:

Gas RV Stabilizers – Do they Really Work

A cheaper modification folks add to avoid sway during high winds and passing trucks are AirTabs.

Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome

These smooth out the airflow behind your rig to prevent a low pressure area from building up behind you. Reviews say they don't do much to improve mileage, but do wonders for swaying. Only problem is they look kind of dorky.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #18

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Lokisgirl, I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my Vegas and had the front-end lined up. If you have less than 12,000 miles, Ford will do the alignment for free. I paid about $300.00 for the Safe-T-Plus, on Amazon, and it is worth every penny. I don't feel I need any extra heavy duty sway bars or track bars. Was about $200.00 to install. The installation is very easy, but the adjustments can be a pain, so I paid the alignment shop to install it.The Vegas handles like a pickup truck, now, even in the wind, and big semi-trucks don't affect me as much on the highway. More importantly, the safety factor the unit gives you in the event of a tire blowout is priceless. Check out the Safe-T-plus video on Youtube. Amazing safety improvements.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1879
New Thor Axis 24.1 owner

Hi and welcome to the forum. We got our 24.1 last April and have put about 9k miles on it. Areas to look out for are coach batteries and, like you mentioned, handling.
We had the Harris coach batteries die on us almost immediately. They were replaced by another brand, and we've had no problem since. You need to check the water levels about once a month and top them off when needed.
Handling: first get a front end alignment, then keep tire air pressures in spec. These two things go a long way. But we're considering a Safety-Plus and/or a track bar for the rear. in the future.
We think the most annoying shortfall of the 24.1 is the shower size. We added a shower curtain rod that expanded the area at the top to give you some room, There is an excellent thread on this forum that include this modification.
Finally we found towing a car was really a good idea. It allows you to easily leave the RV park and explore surrounding sights.
Have fun.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #20

State: Washington
THOR #1081
We have owned our 2015 24.1 for 18 months now and are still in love with it.
Two things;
get the front alignment checked. It may save you getting new front tires at 10,000 miles. We met a fellow owner that did not get it checked and the toe in was severe and he was dragging the front tires down the road. Plus it affected gas mileage.
Secondly, we were told at the dealer pick up day our batteries were sealed and did not require checking. Not true and they died after 6 months, the dealer replaced with new ones at no charge and these are indeed sealed.

Tags
axis 24.1