Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Sat Systems

Would anyone or everyone please give me your opinion on which Sat System installed on the roof of an Axis which can lock on a sat automatically when switched on is the best. Low profile is of course a big consideration. I do NOT need a in motion tracking system. I'm alone and never will be watching TV while moving. If i do, please contact the sheriff and have me locked up. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
While I am not familiar with your particular RV - I am new to the Thor line I can say we had the Windgard dome system on our previous RV and were satisfied with it. I believe the model was Traveller. We ended up with the in-motion system even though my attitude was similar to yours. However, we learned to value it because it would record news when we were on the road. Especially in the Summer when we might be travelling in the late afternoon out west and had DNS on East Coast. We were full timing and this was our link to what was going on in the world and wanted to see news. Also, on Sundays it would record NASCAR race so DW would not miss it. With the Traveller dome you can not get HD on Dir TV but you can on Dish TV, if that matters to you. Also, Dish advertises a part time program but we did not have any problem discontinuing Dir TV for 2 months while in Canada. An alternative to the Traveller dome is the Wingard Traveller, a large dish for mounting on RV. Might not work on smaller RV. If you have not looked at it take a look at this website for some perspective RV Antenna - Winegard Roof Mounted RV Satellite Antennas
Hope this helps some. Good luck1
Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
I sure appreciate all that information. I'm convinced the Winegard product is the way to go. Just getting the right one now is the trick.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:59 AM   #4

THOR #2248
If you want low profile the dome is your best bet. If you are not full time or most of the time travelling Dish TV and their on/off program might meet your needs, even tho based on my experience Dir TV has a similar option - just not advertised. We have been with Dir TV for 6 years while full timing but we just transitioned to part-time and bought a house so still adjusting. Since we are heading out shortly on a 3+ month trip have not addressed the sat TV issue yet will toward the end of the trip. And, if HD is important to you Dish is your only option unless you switch to the bigger and NOT low profile Traveler.
List those issues in priority order and you may get your answer.
Good luck and let me know if I can help!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
If a roof mount isn't a must have, I would suggest the Tailgater by Dish. Very easy to set up, lightweight and portable. Parking under trees with the roof mount might cause satellite signal interruption but there are also sites with tall trees around that the Tailgater is of no use when trying to position it. I'm rather satisfied with mine.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

THOR #1547
Like Larry, we also opted for a portable satellite, so we could position it where we would be less likely to be blocked by trees. Also, didn't hurt that it was less than half the cost of a roof mounted system!

We have the Winegard Pathway X2, which supports two separate Dish receivers and finds the satellites automatically. Works great and we would highly recommend it, if you want to consider portable systems, too!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

THOR #2248
We also carried a Winegard Carryout automatic portable which was good with Direct and Dish but in our particular case we never used it, Just never parked so far under a tree we could not get a signal.
However, the Palazzo we just got does not have a dish mounted so we will be using the portable. Not sure if we will get one mounted since we are only part-timers now and the potable will probably meet our needs.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
If a roof mount isn't a must have, I would suggest the Tailgater by Dish. Very easy to set up, lightweight and portable. Parking under trees with the roof mount might cause satellite signal interruption but there are also sites with tall trees around that the Tailgater is of no use when trying to position it. I'm rather satisfied with mine.
Larry, do you have the new Tailgater VQ4500? I'm trying to get the mounting hole
dimensions. Size of mounting hole and distance from hole to hole. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

THOR #2847
Does anyone have the new King Dish Tailgater VQ4500? I'm trying to get the mounting hole dimensions.

Size of mounting hole and distance from hole to hole (hole pattern). Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #10

THOR #1123
Maverick,
I have the portable Dish Tailgater with the VP211Z receiver. Sorry, No help with the mounting instructions.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #11

THOR #2847
Larry, if it's white... I have the same one. It's a King Tailgater Q2500. That King Tailgater Q250 has been discontinued.
I'm making a ladder mount that will work on the old style (King Tailgater Q250) and the new style (King Tailgater VQ4500). Quick and simple plate and bracket. I'll share a picture whens it's done. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
King at one time did sell a mounting bracket for the ladder to mount them, might want to check their site
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

THOR #1123
Yes, mine is white as you mentioned. Q2500 sounds familiar. Please share the picture when finished. TIA
Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

THOR #2847
Not anymore. Third parties sell the King MB400 Ladder Mount for King Dish Network VQ2500 and VQ2510 Tailgater $177. I'm cheap... will not pay that price. When my VQ2500 dies, so would that $177 mount. That's why I designed a mount that would work with newer Tailgaters and other Portable Satellites.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #15

THOR #2847
King just emailed me and stated they have nothing to give out. I requested the hole pattern and hole size for the King VQ4500. My aren't they helpful!