Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #13642
Great food for thought. Wider Rear tires would probably be cheaper than 4 New Wheels, 2 New ries (at least) and from your research the Conversion Kit (spacers) more than likely would be needed. (Thats Just short of $500 on its own) Any Suggestions on Width?

Old 08-30-2019, 02:47 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy12 View Post
Great food for thought. Wider Rear tires would probably be cheaper than 4 New Wheels, 2 New ries (at least) and from your research the Conversion Kit (spacers) more than likely would be needed. (Thats Just short of $500 on its own) Any Suggestions on Width?

I’ve looked into this because I have a Ford E-350 van with SRWs. The rear axle is rated higher than the tires, so I thought of “upgrading” tires and wheels. However, my van is so light that I figured I didn’t need greater tire load capacity. It’s also too old to waste money on upgrading anything.

Anyway, Mercedes Sprinter use a “Super-Single” tire that I thought would be perfect because it’s 16-inches and same overall diameter. Your 19G and my van use the same LT245/75R16 tires with Load Index of 120 (3086 pounds).

The Sprinter SuperSingle are 285/65R16C, which is a Euro Commercial tire. They have a 128 Load Index (3968 pounds) with N Speed Rating (87 MPH).

They now have a new tire the same size that’s rated even higher. It’s 131R, which is more promising. That’s 4289 pounds and 106 MPH.

Because of extra width, they’d require wider wheels between 8” and 10”. Measured width is on 8-1/2 inch wheels.

I think there should be plenty of clearance for wider tires, which is a lot less than width of duallies. I doubt spacers are needed since these tires are only about 2 inches wider, so 1-inch to inside and 1-inch to outside if you keep same wheel offset.

By the way, new wheels would need the higher load and air pressure ratings.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #23

State: Maryland
THOR #13642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’ve looked into this because I have a Ford E-350 van with SRWs. The rear axle is rated higher than the tires, so I thought of “upgrading” tires and wheels. However, my van is so light that I figured I didn’t need greater tire load capacity. It’s also too old to waste money on upgrading anything.

Anyway, Mercedes Sprinter use a “Super-Single” tire that I thought would be perfect because it’s 16-inches and same overall diameter. Your 19G and my van use the same LT245/75R16 tires with Load Index of 120 (3086 pounds).

The Sprinter SuperSingle are 285/65R16C, which is a Euro Commercial tire. They have a 128 Load Index (3968 pounds) with N Speed Rating (87 MPH).

They now have a new tire the same size that’s rated even higher. It’s 131R, which is more promising. That’s 4289 pounds and 106 MPH.

Because of extra width, they’d require wider wheels between 8” and 10”. Measured width is on 8-1/2 inch wheels.

I think there should be plenty of clearance for wider tires, which is a lot less than width of duallies. I doubt spacers are needed since these tires are only about 2 inches wider, so 1-inch to inside and 1-inch to outside if you keep same wheel offset.

By the way, new wheels would need the higher load and air pressure ratings.
Okay Folks I decided to Stay with the SIngle and did some research to upgrade the SHOCKS. Has Anyone changed their shocks? Took mine in to one of the only local Mechanics that had a bay large enough to get this in. THEY SAID they cannot do it because you need to access the SHOCKS from the inside of the RV. Does this make sense or are they just not capable of doing this? Looking at the Inside I cannot figure out how any access would be had to the shocks? REAR is what we are talking about? HELP!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sounds as if your Mechanic is looking for an excuse to not do the job...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #25

State: California
THOR #18049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy12 View Post
Folks has anyone converted their rig to a Dually? I am looking into this. I love our rig but really do not like the sway in the Mountains. Plus we had a blow out coming down a steep decline in Virginia right rear ripped apart the wheel well and we almost rolled. Scary moment. I know I'll lose gas mileage. Not sure if we need the conversion kit? To me it looks like the rear was made for a Dually. Thoughts please?
We’ve owned our 2012 19 G for about 8 years. It’s been a great rig. We added some wheel spacers to increase the wheelbase at the rear. There is plenty of room for larger tires as well. This mod help out with the RV’ s stability.
I have lots of info on rig if anybody’s needs anything
Take care, mark
Old 02-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEEYEDJACKASS View Post
We’ve owned our 2012 19 G for about 8 years. It’s been a great rig. We added some wheel spacers to increase the wheelbase at the rear. There is plenty of room for larger tires as well. This mod help out with the RV’ s stability.
I have lots of info on rig if anybody’s needs anything
Take care, mark

I’m interested in fuel economy of all motorhomes in that size range. Do you have additional data you can share? What kind of MPG do you get at different highway speeds? And do you tow a trailer or car, or mostly run solo?

I expect yours has the 5.4L V8 with 5-speed auto. Is that right?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:53 AM   #27

THOR #18049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m interested in fuel economy of all motorhomes in that size range. Do you have additional data you can share? What kind of MPG do you get at different highway speeds? And do you tow a trailer or car, or mostly run solo?

I expect yours has the 5.4L V8 with 5-speed auto. Is that right?
Yes it’s the 5.4l. we don’t tow anything with RV. Best mpg on hwy would be around 14-16 mpg. Would like to be able to tow our 7k boat, not enough engine power. Hope that helps
Old 02-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #28

THOR #4106
I love this RV!

Before we settle down at SF Bay Area, my wife and I live two years with this RV, it's absolutely no problem, only normal oil change.

In our rock trip with this RV, it covers almost all the mountain states in U.S.: California, Colorado, Montana, Oregon. Also, we visited Texas, New Mexico, British Columbia, Yukon, Alaska.

We are very proud of this small home, it's very robust, and play perfectly on Alaska Highway, and even Dalton Highway. Yes, we reached the Arctic Ocean successfully with no issue.

I love it!
Old 02-25-2020, 12:26 AM   #29

THOR #2121
To those of you who have traveled extensively in the 20-foot-long 19G Class C, I was wondering if you could share some of your experiences in three areas of this motorhome?

First is sleeping comfort and bed access. I’ve been inside this model many times but haven’t rented it so do not have experience using it. It looks to me that two adults would be most comfortable if one sleeps on dinette and other in over-cab bed. Is that the way it works out best? Also, the over-cab bed came in two styles. The rounded fiberglass front cap makes for a smaller bed area, but looks like it has more headroom height to work with. The squared-off front cap has larger bed/mattress area but doesn’t look tall enough to climb over a second person. Question is whether two average to small adults can sleep in the overhead bed? Please indicate whether yours is rectangular or rounded design, just in case it makes a difference.

Second is about the wet bath. Compared to wet baths in typical van campers, it appears quite roomy. Is it easy to shower in the 19G bath? And afterwards, do you dry it or what? I’d like to know how difficult it is to live with this wet bath.

Third is outside storage. Thor list outside storage at only 6.5 cubic feet. Is that enough for your travels, or do you extend outside storage somehow? If so, with what?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #30

State: Washington
THOR #18210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to buy this model in particular because we would like to travel with my wife all the way down to Tierra del Fuego in South America but I would like if you guys can give me some idea of the MPG that this RV 2010 THOR MOTOR COACH FOUR WINDS MAJESTIC 19G has in your experience.

Thank you for your time
I know this is an old post, but I just got back from riding my motorcycle down to Tierra Del Fuego over the last year. I got back and I think I may have just bought a Thor 19G to travel/live in a little while.

I hope you have a great trip, let me know if I can give any advice!