Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2865
2015 Axis 24.1

Hello Thor Forum. My wife and I have owned our Axis for just over one year now. We purchased it last year to take my mother-in-law on a cross country bucket list trip. She and my wife were very instrumental in choosing the Axis. She spent 3 months planning where and what she wanted to see. I then mapped it out. She was not in the best of health and 2 days into our trip she passed away. She was very happy and we know that there would have been no other place she'd rather be.

So that's how we entered the RV lifestyle. I will be retiring soon, less than a year, and we plan to be full-time RV'ers. We've used the Axis on short camping trips here and there with the longest outing so far being this past Labor Day weekend where we made it a 5-day trip. Lots of fun was had with good friends.

We look forward to making new friends along the way, maybe we'll meet some of you.

The reason I found this forum, and joined, is that I found an issue today while attempting to exercise the Onan generator. It starts up fine but is not switching over to provide power to the coach. It worked fine before the Labor Day trip but not today. I started searching the internet and found a thread on here that may have answered my issue but until I can check it tomorrow I don't know.

I flipped the in line circuit breaker on the generator off and on several times but to no avail. I find nothing wrong in the main circuit panel either. Tonight I read something about a "transfer relay?' From what I can tell it is in a box under the passenger side bed. That is where the fresh water tank and water pump are stored. I don't recall seeing any box under there but will check tomorrow.

Not knowing anything about the transfer relay, I am not sure what I'll be looking for to know if it is the problem. I'm hoping you seasoned veterans will have some insight for this newbie. BTW, being a newbie, we've sure had our share of issues with our Axis. The biggest issue is the extreme lack of customer service from the dealership. Once we left their lot, we were on our own. Hopefully we'll have opportunity to share those experiences down the road. Overall we love the Axis and look forward to retirement.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have for us.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
In my 25.1 the transfer switch is located under the bed on the driver's side near the generator.

Bruce
Old 09-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It may not be under the bed but under the closet. Remove the cold-air return vent its probably there just laying on the floor or hanging by the 120V wires.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFirefighter View Post
She was not in the best of health and 2 days into our trip she passed away. She was very happy and we know that there would have been no other place she'd rather be.
My sympathies on the loss of your mother. How very kind of you to give your mother this last joyful trip even though it was cut short. I'm sure she was proud of you.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
What a wonderful gift you gave your mother-in-law. She was so lucky. I have been struck by what a difference there is in the responsiveness of different RV dealers to fixing warrantee issues. My dealer (NorthTrailRV in Fort Lauderdale FL) fixed every issue I had with no problem (and there were a bunch) and Thor was very good about authorizing the work. I see no reason why a dealer would not fix warrantee issues. They make their customers happy and bill the work to Thor. To make their customers unhappy with their product for no good reason is a disservice to the dealer and Thor. I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership and send a copy to Thor. If I were the president of Thor, I would like to know.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
What a wonderful gift you gave your mother-in-law. She was so lucky. I have been struck by what a difference there is in the responsiveness of different RV dealers to fixing warrantee issues. My dealer (NorthTrailRV in Fort Lauderdale FL) fixed every issue I had with no problem (and there were a bunch) and Thor was very good about authorizing the work. I see no reason why a dealer would not fix warrantee issues. They make their customers happy and bill the work to Thor. To make their customers unhappy with their product for no good reason is a disservice to the dealer and Thor. I would write a letter to the owner of the dealership and send a copy to Thor. If I were the president of Thor, I would like to know.
What if Thor doesn't compensate the dealer enough to cover the dealer's out-of-pocket costs? What if dealer costs are more than Thor thinks is reasonable?

Without knowing the specifics of their contract I would not necessarily blame the dealer. They could be at fault but just as easily so could Thor. I personally hate buying anything with the potential to place me in the middle of two companies competing for greater profits.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

THOR #1765
That could be true, I am just saying that in my case, the dealer was very good about fixing everything that I asked for and I signed the total bill going to Thor. I don't care what the contract is, if I buy something from a local dealer, I expect them to own up to any warrantee issues. If they won't then I might as well buy it on the web from Texas at the cheapest price I can find or (more probably) buy a different product from a different dealer.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #1749
On my 2015 axis the transfer relay was behind the circuit breaker panel. I had to remove the panel and twist it to the side to be able to remove the relay panel. You almost have to work at arms length on your side to get at it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #9

THOR #2865
Thanks all for your replies and kind words. I didn't get to look for the ATR right away but I think I found it under the wardrobe behind the return air and circuit breaker panel. It appears to be a brown colored box set back in under everything, including the water heater. It is going to be a bit tricky to get to. If I can get it out I will definitely re-locate it in a more accessible place.

My concern is why it failed in the first place? Some light research has indicated two thought processes. One is that there should be "no" load on the system before firing up the generator. Turn off all appliances, lights, AC, etc. before attempting to start the generator. The other thought is obviously the opposite, that it should make no difference. So I am confused.

When I noticed my problem, I had started the generator to exercise it. The shore line was still plugged in and the refrigerator was "On." Was that wrong? I've looked through my manuals and do not find any warnings against doing that so I don't know for sure. In the past I tended to unplug the shoreline first. This time I may have erred by forgetting and leaving it plugged in.

I may have set myself up for some chastisement, but as mentioned in my first post, I am new at this. I just don't want to make a very costly mistake. But if I don't make mistakes I won't learn either.

Did I find the right box for the ATR? Any words of advice before I try to remove it? I will definitely have everything off, unplugged and batteries disconnected before attempting to access it. So I have safety in mind. Is there something else to be aware of?
Old 09-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Another possibility: Thor has it wired wrong and when you started the genny it shorted the outside power against the genny's output.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

THOR #1765
I never thought of that. I have never run the generator when plugged into shore power, because I was not sure what would happen. I would hope that it would not make a difference, but I was never sure enough to try. There is a 15 second (or so) delay when the generator comes on and the microwave fires up, so there is a delay switch to switch to 120v power. You do not have to shut down things before you start the generator. Not that I am suggesting that you have the A/C switched on.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #12

THOR #2865
Well it has been 10 days since I last updated you all on this. It was definitely the transfer switch. More precisely, loose connections in the wiring to the transfer switch. Causing the neutral wires to burn out. Fortunately there was no fire. Not good for a firefighter to have a fire. :-(

I'd like to know who the so-called "electrician" was that wired this in. ALL connections in the switch were loose. Doesn't appear to have ever been tightened down. Once the burned wiring was trimmed back to healthy wires and reattached to the switch, including tightened securely, all worked well again.

Thanks again for all your concern and input. Much appreciated. I look forward to sharing more positive reports in these forums.