Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Florida
THOR #2410

Hey everyone we're new to the RV world. We just bought a Hurricane 31s. Not really happy with the unit. My biggest issue is the ac. We have 1-15k ac unit and I can't get the daytime tp below 80 degrees. We are staying in FL and bought in Fl. We asked the dealer if we would be able to cool to 78 in FL and of course the answer was yes. 5 trips and 1 trip back to the shop and 80 is the best I can get. To even get 80 it runs sun up to sun down. So I'm hoping that someone else might know if I'm hoping for something that can't happen or is there a problem with the unit? The unit is a 2016. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Welcome to the forum! Where in FL are you from? I grew up on the gulf coast in the Tampa area.

I am new to RVing myself so hopefully one of the other more experienced folks will be able to help with your AC question.

Cheers,
Jody

Jody
Yorktown, VA
2015 Hurricane 32N, 2015 Kia Optima, 2016 Master Tow
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #2409
Over 24 feet and you need 2 units. It is hard to believe they would sell a 31 foot unit in Florida with one AC. The best a properly sized AC unit will do is 18-20 degrees. If it is 100 out then it will only get you down to 80. Since an RV is limited to the size you must add a second AC. RVs that are 38 - 42 need 3 AC units.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:46 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Florida
THOR #2410
Jody does your coach have only one AC unit?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron&Joy View Post
Hey everyone we're new to the RV world. We just bought a Hurricane 31s. Not really happy with the unit. My biggest issue is the ac. We have 1-15k ac unit and I can't get the daytime tp below 80 degrees. We are staying in FL and bought in Fl. We asked the dealer if we would be able to cool to 78 in FL and of course the answer was yes. 5 trips and 1 trip back to the shop and 80 is the best I can get. To even get 80 it runs sun up to sun down. So I'm hoping that someone else might know if I'm hoping for something that can't happen or is there a problem with the unit? The unit is a 2016. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not too long ago we had a lengthy discuss on AC systems in another thread. The link to the thread is:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ture-1700.html

Bottom line is you cannot determine whether or not an AC system is functioning by comparing inside to outside temperatures. You must determine the temperature split, or "Delta T" between the air entering the cold air return and the air coming out a vent/register. If the split is 15 - 20 degrees the AC system is functioning properly and it is a matter of time before the unit cools the coach. If the split is less than 15 degrees then the AC system requires service.

As a note, on my prior 30 foot class C I had a single 13.5K Dometic AC unit and it kept the coach at 70 degrees even when the outside temps were around 100. During those days we did limit the amount of time the door was opened because the cold air return was right above the stair well.

On my Challenger we have had a few days in the mid to high 90s and the 37 foot coach has stayed at 80 throughout with only 1 15K running part time. I have not tried setting the thermostat lower because right now my concern is not comfort but rather in dehumidifying the coach to prevent mold, mildew and odors between trips.

As a note, page 2 of the Airxcel Operation and Maintenance Instructions explains the temperature split and also states that the desired inside temperature is normally 80 degrees.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #2409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Not too long ago we had a lengthy discuss on AC systems in another thread. The link to the thread is:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ture-1700.html

On my Challenger we have had a few days in the mid to high 90s and the 37 foot coach has stayed at 80 throughout with only 1 15K running part time. I have not tried setting the thermostat lower because right now my concern is not comfort but rather in dehumidifying the coach to prevent mold, mildew and odors between trips.
There is a little more to it than just the delta. Insulation is a big factor and we all know most are not insulated very well. Whether you are parked in shade. If you were able to maintain 70 with outside temp of 100 with one 13.5 K AC you must have one heck of an insulation package or the inside is so full of cabinets, walls, and other stuff the the square footage is low. I have a 42' 5th wheel with 3 AC units and it won't do that. Also, 80 is very uncomfortable to me.