Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #4256
Another question...

Sorry to keep beating a dying horse, but I crawled under the front end yesterday to see what was there. It seems there's already a small steering stabilizer there - about 1" across. It looks more like a screen door damper than what I see on the net for Roadmaster, Safe-t, etc. So now I understand I'm looking at an upgrade rather than an original install. Knowing that, has anyone replaced the factory damper with an upgrade, and did that make a difference?

Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #940
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainElite View Post
Sorry to keep beating a dying horse, but I crawled under the front end yesterday to see what was there. It seems there's already a small steering stabilizer there - about 1" across. It looks more like a screen door damper than what I see on the net for Roadmaster, Safe-t, etc. So now I understand I'm looking at an upgrade rather than an original install. Knowing that, has anyone replaced the factory damper with an upgrade, and did that make a difference?
I did remove the smaller factory installed stabilizer and replaced with the Safe-T-Plus and it made a big difference in handling. It took me about an hour to replace it myself in my driveway. As I said, the hardest and most time consuming part was getting it adjusted so it didn't pull one way or the other. I had to attempt adjustment 4 times before I got it right. If you plan to get your wheels aligned, I would recommend installing it right before and let them adjust it while they have it on the rack and the wheels are centered perfectly. When I finally got my wheels aligned (quite awhile later) they had to readjust it anyway and said that the damper was compensating for pull caused by the alignment being out.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #23

State: Alabama
THOR #4475
Just Bought our First RV-----a Freedom Elite

The wife an I have been looking, and saving, for our first RV for some time now. This year bought a 2016 Freedom Elite 22FE. Love it so far. Been on 2 trips for total of around 1,600 miles and have no complaints yet. We are looking forward to traveling A LOT and using the camper to its fullest
Old 06-26-2016, 04:44 AM   #24

State: Kansas
THOR #3133
Where can I purchase the sway bars that are mentioned in this discussion? I have a Freedom Elite 22FE. Feel free to PM me with the info. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #25

State: Wisconsin
THOR #2584
I used Hellwig sway bars - see RV Sway Bars | Hellwig Products
Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #3966
Hi. I'm also a 22FE owner. I shipped mine to Europe. Right now I'm in US and looking for Dual Outer Wheel Access valve extenders. Could you please tell me if your rear wheels are 16"? Do you guys use it? Any recommendations. I have to buy it and take it to Alicante, Spain, where my 22FE is stored by now. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #27

State: North Carolina
THOR #4256
Valve Extenders

Good day,

We don't use valve extenders on our 16" outer wheels, but we do use them on our inside wheels. First try was these, from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-City-St...stem+extenders

They were not solid enough for us and I was worried about adding that much extra weight to one side of the wheel. Rather than use their metal clamps I tried zip-tying the braided stem in place. That didn't seem to work well at all. Instead, we ended up buying these:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Duali...77ZQSVM7RMXS6Z

I had to pull the outside wheels off in order to install both types of extenders, but I'm satisfied with the second type, the hard metal. We do have to use a longer air pressure gauge to reach the inside valve stems, but that's no issue at all. This is the one we use:

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S986-S...ure+tire+gauge

I didn't buy the air pressure gauge at Amazon. It came from a local car parts store, but I found it on Amazon for illustrative purposes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your travels over there, and keep your eyes open. Getting weird everywhere.

bruce