Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Florida
THOR #4153
2016 Thor Windsport 29m

Hi everyone. Bought my first MH last year and have taken a couple trips without a toad. Love it! Recently had my 2014 Honda CRV outfitted with baseplate and purchased Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot braking system. Planning a trip to my roots in South Dakota over the summer. Any tips to this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Hello, and welcome to the Forum! I'm sure that many others will chime in here, but I recall being nervous as all get out when I first towed my Ford Explorer. The biggest thing I learned was to accurately gauge the length of the motorhome AND toad when changing lanes and turning corners. Turning right corners, in particular, made me nervous, as I had to totally rely on the passenger mirror to make sure that both vehicles had cleared and that I wasn't going up on the curb. Whenever possible, I try to make a wide turn and pull up further into the intersection before starting the turn.

I would particularly recommend trying to plan out your gas station refueling stops and make sure that you can easily enter and exit them with both vehicles. I prefer gas stations where the vehicles are parallel to the pump. I also carry a book called "The Next Exit" that tells me everything that is at each exit along the major interstates (e.g., gas stations, restaurants, medical facilities, etc). The nice feature of this book is that RV-friendly gas stations (i.e., easy access) are highlighted in red; which makes them easy to identify.

I still always keep my backup camera on when towing the car - perhaps that is simply paranoia on my part, but I must need constant reassurance that the toad is still back there! You'll find that the more your tow it, the more comfortable you will be with both the setup and drive. I, too, use the Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot brake system, and have had no issues with either.

Good luck - it will be second nature before you know it!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP
I would particularly recommend trying to plan out your gas station refueling stops and make sure that you can easily enter and exit them with both vehicles. I prefer gas stations where the vehicles are parallel to the pump. I also carry a book called "The Next Exit" that tells me everything that is at each exit along the major interstates (e.g., gas stations, restaurants, medical facilities, etc). The nice feature of this book is that RV-friendly gas stations (i.e., easy access) are highlighted in red; which makes them easy to identify.
An automated version of this is the https://iexitapp.com/ (Just a happy user). I use this app whenever we're driving somewhere long distance.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
An automated version of this is the https://iexitapp.com/ (Just a happy user). I use this app whenever we're driving somewhere long distance.
That looks like a handy and free app! If you buy "The Next Exit" book, you get a year of free access to the online version (https://thenextexit.com/product/book/). I just downloaded the app that JamieGeek mentions, and will see how it goes on my trip to Florida in 2 weeks.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Welcome and congrats on your new MH. Sounds like a great summer ahead for you. I'm also from the Dakotas and will be traveling to Colorado and will make the ND area in July. Happy trails!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Congrats!

We plan on visiting South Dakota this summer as well.

For us, the hardest part of driving the motorhome is lane placement. The view from the driver's seat makes both of us want to hug the right shoulder.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Lots of good advice so far. I think you will find towing to be not such a big deal and it will be nice to have your toad when away from civilization and you need something. I also keep the rear camera on when towing, just for peace of mind.

Your 29M is a lot shorter than our 35C (at almost 37') so it should handle a little better and turn well. It will seem huge at first, but once you get the hang of turning it becomes second nature. All it usually takes is one or two curb scrapes to get you to swing wide or go past your usual turn point. I think we all have our stories of rubbing or hitting something in our MHs, it is just part of the learning curve.

We are planning on visiting South Dakota in April and also in late summer. We will be establishing domicile there as we are going full time after retirement in July.

Enjoy and be safe!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g
For us, the hardest part of driving the motorhome is lane placement. The view from the driver's seat makes both of us want to hug the right shoulder.
You might want to watch this video about reference points (and maybe all the other ones; they are pretty decent):
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 AM   #9

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsckennedy View Post
Hi everyone. Bought my first MH last year and have taken a couple trips without a toad. Love it! Recently had my 2014 Honda CRV outfitted with baseplate and purchased Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot braking system. Planning a trip to my roots in South Dakota over the summer. Any tips to this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there.
You should also look for posts here and other RV forums (and YouTube) about towing a CR-V with the Blue Ox Patriot. Please don't think that I am disparaging the product because I have the same moxel year CR-V and the same Patriot system. Also understand that Honda does not put a robust battery in these vehicles and it could lead to some issues. If you drive with the toad behind for very long (without periodic stops to run the engine to recharge the battery) you run the risk of draining the Honda's battery and you will need to jump-start the car in order to recharge its battery. There are aftermarket gadgets that will help with the problem but be aware and be prepared. The Honda tows effortlessly behind our 2016 Thor Synergy TT24 and is quite easy to hook up....and by all means enjoy the journey!

Ed L.
2016 Thor Synergy TT24 3.0L V6
15,500 miles
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #10

THOR #4153
Thank you. I had a separate switch installed instead of having to pull fuses. Not sure if that will help.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach!!! You might want to get either an RV specific GPS such as a Garmin or pick up a truckers Atlas at a truck stop. Might keep from getting someplace to low!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #12

THOR #4153
Thank you!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
We have a 2016 Hurricane 31s, 2014 Cr V, Blue Ox, SMI brakes, , etc. follows like a dream. Just make sure to follow the towing instruction on page 235.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #14

THOR #4153
Thank you---will do!