Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 04:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: Oklahoma
THOR #7244
2017 Freedom Elite 29fe

Glad we found this forum! We just purchased our 2017 Freedom Elite and are currently on our maiden voyage. Love our MH but not happy with the way it handles going down the road. Steering is way too loose. Thanks to your posts I know know where to start in remedying this problem. Anyone have any suggestions on a remedy for the sofa? It's not very comfortable. Would love to have a reclining one but with the fresh water tank directly under the Jack knife sofa I doubt that's possible. We've already gotten many great ideas from you guys. Keep them coming!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I have the same unit as you. So far have noticed no handling problems. I use recommended tire pressures as indicated on the door pillar.

On the sofa, the water tank and pump are there. I don't see any way to relocate either.

A few mods I've done are to replace the anemic excuse for a bathroom fan with a Vortex fan. Very simple mod to do. I've done it in my fifth wheel and previous motor home as well.

I also installed a 32" smart tv in the bedroom, it's pre-wired, so easy to do. Mounts on the cabinet door so you can just flip it up to get to storage.

I built and installed a shelf in the cabinets over the sofa.

I built a sink cover for one side of the double sink. Very little counter space in this unit. I found a really neat stove cover, ordered from Amazon. Pricey, ($46) but it is a perfect fit and stays put. Camco 43704 Decor Mate Stove Topper (Black). Not metal so no rattles.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

THOR #7244
Thanks for the info. We are driving down the road as we speak. DH is really fighting the steering. Stopping at a Camping World in Springfield MO to visit with them about it. I will definitely check out the sink cover. Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

THOR #7244
We've also put a smart TV in the bedroom. But we also changed out the TV over the dinette for a smaller. We felt it obstructed too much of our view. We also got tired of messing with the bedspread that came with the unit so we bought a twin size quilted one and modified it to be a fitted spread. I love the way it turned out. So easy to do. I also bought a small tension rod and put it under the bathroom cabinet. Now we have a place to hang a hand towel and wet wash cloth. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1493048746.994932.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	4703
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1493048684.985978.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	4702  
Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #5

THOR #4656
Nice mods. We too bought a new bedspread. The original is in a box for the next owner, same for the shams etc.

The strangest thing, ours was shipped with a water filter cartridge and wrench. It's just that we have no water filter.

The only could be a problem is that our kitchen slide is very noisy. I sprayed the tracks with silicone lube, Helped a little.

Right now we are researching SAT TV. We had it on the fifth wheel a few years back, but setting it up was always a pain. Looking for roof mount, non in motion dome. Probably with DISH service. So many to choose from and prices to match.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

THOR #7244
I too researched SAT TV. Unit didn't come with a video switch box. We were told the unit wasn't wired with he right cable so we couldn't have Satellite. SERIOUSLY? In the process of checking with other installers. Not too pleased with Camping World in OKC about anything.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #7262
I bought the same stove cover,love it from Amazon,Camco makes it.
Definitely gives you more counter space
The couch is uncomfortable,but again it's not a perfect world
Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
For the couch cut down memory foam cover it with fabric use velcro to hold it in place
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

THOR #4656
Staying with the 29fe thread

I hope you other owners might find my little discoveries helpful.

The Store/Use relay is located under the bed with most all of the electrical stuff. It has a 5 amp fuse in line, so if you don't hear the relay click when you press the switch, check the fuse. I found mine blown this morning. No idea why.

The panel in the bathroom under the shower is hiding two low level drain valves. Had I not opened it looking for the above mentioned relay, I wouldn't have known they were there.

There are some very well done you-tubes out there on your Schwintec slides. Like how to sync and retract them when all else fails. You might want to check them out. I am making a set of slide locks to keep the slides in should I encounter the problem of a retraction failure that required an override procedure to get the slide in and home.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #10

THOR #7244
Good info to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5888
We purchased a 2017 Freedom Elite 29FE July 16, 2016. We are part time, visiting the National Parks and trying to see as much of this great country of ours as we can. The coach had 1068 miles on it when we purchased, just turned 12,000 miles. It's had a few issues but all were fixed under warranty by CW in Akron, OH. Outstanding service department.

Last summer we visited Mount Rushmore, the Blackhills, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Yellowstone NP, and Theodore Roosevelt NP- had an awesome time awesome time

This spring we went to Utah and visited Arches NP, Dead Horse State Park, Canyonlands NP, and Dead Horse State Park; Arizona to the South Rim of Grand Canyon NP: Nevada to Hoover Dam and Lake Meade and Las Vegas. Returned a few weeks ago and getting ready to hit the road again in about 2 weeks to Kentucky and Tennessee

We've done a few mods to make it more comfortable and give it the personal touch.

1. Installed a DirecTV Winegard Slimlne dish with a Gen 2 DVR receiver, video bridge and
2 Wireless min-Genies. Had to install an A/B switch to go from sat to OTA. Switched out the 40" Seika over the dinette for a 32" smart TV; added a 29" smart TV In the bedroom.

2. Installed MaxxAir deluxe fans w/ remote in bedroom vent and overhead vent.

3. DW bought a twin memory foam mattress for the uncomfortable sofa, tucked it under the springs to make it tight. Made a world of difference.

4. Removed the so called "mattress" parts from the overhead bunk area and converted into a storage area by putting plastic totes in the 2 storage wells and added 2- 4drawer plastic utility cabinets purchased from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...inet/178717407) Only used 3 drawers from each cabinet and secured them with a tension curtain rod and velcro straps to keep drawers closed.

5. DW made a cover for the step well out of 3/4" plywood, stapled a carpet on it and added a drawer handle to lift it and place it.

6. Purchased bronze tension curtain rods from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1) and stone colored room darkening curtains from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...d=actual_color) for the rear exit window in the bedroom; put the same set- up in the living area to replace the cheap ugly privacy curtain; and as a divider between the bedroom and the kitchen so we don't have to use the plastic accordion door

7. Replaced the shower head with a Camco Shower Head Kit purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Big difference

We love our 29FE and look forward to many more good times
Old 05-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #12

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawbird View Post
Glad we found this forum! We just purchased our 2017 Freedom Elite and are currently on our maiden voyage. Love our MH but not happy with the way it handles going down the road. Steering is way too loose. Thanks to your posts I know know where to start in remedying this problem. Anyone have any suggestions on a remedy for the sofa? It's not very comfortable. Would love to have a reclining one but with the fresh water tank directly under the Jack knife sofa I doubt that's possible. We've already gotten many great ideas from you guys. Keep them coming!
The wife and I have a 30fe and the best thing oh can do is add the Safe T plus stabilizer. Before adding ours the coach was a handful in the wind but after we had no problem going 75 in 35mph winds
Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

THOR #7262
In our thor elite the outlet in the kitchen is awkward,had to use a strip,toaster and coffee plugs to short any suggestions
Old 05-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #14

THOR #4656
More mods. I installed a Winegard Pathway X1 Satellite dome on the roof and ran new cables to the two receivers. I left the factory cable and over the air antenna in place. The most fun was running the cables. It took two days of punishment to accomplish. Most of the time was spent procrastinating over where to drill holes. Part of the time was affixing band aids to my bleeding forearms from screws and sheet metal shards encountered everywhere.

I removed every drawer and access panel plus the microwave to gain access to existing wire routes, some of which were used. A side benefit was that it allowed me to remove half a ShopVac of manufacturing debris from all the nooks and crannies throughout the coach. I now have an ample supply of multi-colored square head screws. It also exposes the "quality" of workmanship. If anyone with a 29fe wants to do this, I can save you some grief by providing some detail as to where to run wires and drill holes.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #15

THOR #7262
Thanks but seems complicated
Old 05-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #16

THOR #7244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw4red View Post
We purchased a 2017 Freedom Elite 29FE July 16, 2016. We are part time, visiting the National Parks and trying to see as much of this great country of ours as we can. The coach had 1068 miles on it when we purchased, just turned 12,000 miles. It's had a few issues but all were fixed under warranty by CW in Akron, OH. Outstanding service department.

Last summer we visited Mount Rushmore, the Blackhills, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Yellowstone NP, and Theodore Roosevelt NP- had an awesome time awesome time

This spring we went to Utah and visited Arches NP, Dead Horse State Park, Canyonlands NP, and Dead Horse State Park; Arizona to the South Rim of Grand Canyon NP: Nevada to Hoover Dam and Lake Meade and Las Vegas. Returned a few weeks ago and getting ready to hit the road again in about 2 weeks to Kentucky and Tennessee

We've done a few mods to make it more comfortable and give it the personal touch.

1. Installed a DirecTV Winegard Slimlne dish with a Gen 2 DVR receiver, video bridge and
2 Wireless min-Genies. Had to install an A/B switch to go from sat to OTA. Switched out the 40" Seika over the dinette for a 32" smart TV; added a 29" smart TV In the bedroom.

3. DW bought a twin memory foam mattress for the uncomfortable sofa, tucked it under the springs to make it tight. Made a world of difference.

4. Removed the so called "mattress" parts from the overhead bunk area and converted into a storage area by putting plastic totes in the 2 storage wells and added 2- 4drawer plastic utility cabinets purchased from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...inet/178717407) Only used 3 drawers from each cabinet and secured them with a tension curtain rod and velcro straps to keep drawers closed.

5. DW made a cover for the step well out of 3/4" plywood, stapled a carpet on it and added a drawer handle to lift it and place it.

6. Purchased bronze tension curtain rods from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1) and stone colored room darkening curtains from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...d=actual_color) for the rear exit window in the bedroom; put the same set- up in the living area to replace the cheap ugly privacy curtain; and as a divider between the bedroom and the kitchen so we don't have to use the plastic accordion door

7. Replaced the shower head with a Camco Shower Head Kit purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Big difference

You are living our dream! We have a 2017 Freedom Elite FE29 and have enjoyed reading every ones modifications. The National Park System is on our bucket list. Up until recently we had to stay close to home because of elderly parents but for better or worse, our situation had changed.
My question to you is do you secure reservations before to go "park hopping"? Or do you just take your chances?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #17

THOR #5888
So far we have not made reservations and have not had a problem finding a place to park. We usually start making phone calls around 3-4 in the afternoon so we can be off the road no later than 6:00p. In the event we couldn't find something we are prepared to dry camp where ever we can
Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #18

THOR #7244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw4red View Post

We've been putting some of your great ideas into action.

Ordered the curtains from WalMart but a different color. They are not up yet as they need ironed! But the biggie we are ready to do is the memory foam under couch springs. Did you just do the bottom (seating) portion of the couch? It appears that the couch will have to be removed to do anything to the backrest. Has promise of being a great modification!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #19

THOR #5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawbird View Post
We've been putting some of your great ideas into action.

Ordered the curtains from WalMart but a different color. They are not up yet as they need ironed! But the biggie we are ready to do is the memory foam under couch springs. Did you just do the bottom (seating) portion of the couch? It appears that the couch will have to be removed to do anything to the backrest. Has promise of being a great modification!

We put the memory foam mattress on the seat first then added a cheap 1 1/2" piece of foam (almost like an egg shell) on the back and cut it so it could be tucked into the seat and with a 4" overhang on the back.

We kept dropping small items from the cup holder ledge above the sofa behind it, so we cut a piece of 1/4 round trim the length of the ledge and velcro'd it down and put a piece of pipe insulation cut to fit on it - works great. Nothing falls behind the sofa and it's tight enough to keep the foam and sofa cover in place
Old 06-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
I have the same motorhome and wonder if you guy or gals can turn off the stereo in the bedroom. Mine glows blue all the time can you make yours completely dark? How?