Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #19453
Red face Newbie ‘20 Gemini 24SX

Hello everybody! I’m a newbie here on the forum and a newbie MH owner. Bought mine new in TX and drove it home to VA in June, and now have about 100 hours behind the wheel. Mine has the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis, and have been pretty happy so far. The front awning end caps blew off between TX and VA and Thor sent replacements promptly. I installed them myself after watching a YouTube video, and added extra security with zip ties to keep them from flying again. I also installed assist handles to the driver and passenger side doors. I’m 71 with bad knees, and needed a little help climbing into that tall cab. Also had Carr extra steps added to both sides, a different rear stabilizer bar installed to curb sway, and a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system installed. I have a question about the brake lights on the rear. A friend followed me home from the dealer who did some work this week, and he said he thought the lights in the center of the back - the row of 12 small lights just above the license plate - should have lit up red when I applied the brakes, and they didn’t. They do light up white when backing, but are they supposed to light up red when I’m braking? I’m looking forward to RV life. I became a widow in March, and this new toy his helping me deal with my grief, my Covid depression, and my love of traveling. I have equipped my toy to allow me to work on the road (eBay seller) and pursue my passion for gourmet cooking. Love reading the comments in this forum!

Old 08-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our family of happy wanderers.
I am sorry to hear of your recent loss, and wish to extend my condolences.
And as a fellow Sprinter-jockey: Well done!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #3

THOR #19453
Question AC problem

Hi Bob - I brought my Gemini 24SX home from RV repair on Friday after some routine installations (see previous post), and no my AC only blows hot air. It is 99 degrees in my coach. No water is dripping outside as usually happens when the AC is running. Any ideas on things I can check on?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Can you hear the compressor firing up?
What is your thermostat set at?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #5

THOR #19453
Air Conditioner

I do not hear the compressor. I set it at 73 last night, and this morning the thermometer read 73, as it was a cool night. I turned it to 75, and when I went in to do some stuff this afternoon, the coach was at 99 degrees, so I turned off the AC and turned on the exhaust fans.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblduce49 View Post
I do not hear the compressor. I set it at 73 last night, and this morning the thermometer read 73, as it was a cool night. I turned it to 75, and when I went in to do some stuff this afternoon, the coach was at 99 degrees, so I turned off the AC and turned on the exhaust fans.
Welcome to Gemini/Compass ownership! And sorry for your recent loss. I love my 2017 with the exception of the AC.
Lots of discussion on the Gemini/Compass forum regarding under preforming AC's on these RVs. You'll find: different AC modifications, many suggested insulation items for walls and windows, and learn more than one owner added a 2nd AC. First step would be insuring you are getting enough power to the AC so 30amp post at site or generator running. I have... window insulation all round, sorted out the inside intake, added baffles to prevent cool air exiting at the ends of each run and I start the unit cooling before the day gets hot - - - still my AC does not keep my Gemini usable in hot climates. Sorry to report shade and a fan outside gives much better results. Nancy
Old 08-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If the AC fan is running, but not cooling, its very possibly the starting capacitor that has failed. If that is the case, the AC cover will have to be removed for access. A tech should be able to diagnose and change it pretty quickly, though with a new RV you will probably have to get it to a dealer or service facility that does Thor warrantee work.

Tags
awning caps, brake lights