Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Future retired Army

Hi everyone,

I am preparing to retire from the Army and my wife and I decided to purchase a coach and go full time. Our kids are grown and we don't have any debt. Worst case scenario, it is an extended vacation and then we go back and join the rat race once again. I have already been learning so much reading all the threads and getting some personal advice by some already retired Army troopers; thank you @bigben.

Anyway, my coach will be ready around August/September and we will see you on the road shortly there after. If you have a Challenger 37LX, I would interested in knowing what some of your first modifications/upgrades were? Here is a list of some of the items I will be adding over the course of the first several months. Let me know what you think.

1. Wifi Ranger Elite
2. Weboost Drive 4G-M Cell phone booster kit
3. Upgraded battery bank (remove the two current batteries and replace with 4 Trojan L16H-AC Deep Cycle 6V Battery) (solar panels and MPPT coming later)
4. Replace factory 6 gallon water heater with Truma AquaGo
5. Install inline Progressive Industries EMSLCHW50 Surge Protector (not sure why not common and factory installed)
6. Replace factory vents with 360 Siphon RV Fume Extractor (black and grey tanks)
7. Mount MORryde REEL56-001H Easy Reel Cord Spooler for 50amp cord (why this isn’t factory and common I don’t know)

Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I can't help with your mods, but I would like to thank you for your service to the country. Thank you and God Bless!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #3

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Erich,

Welcome to the Forum and I too want to thank you for your service.

Let me know how the WiFi Ranger Elite goes. I am working on installing WaveRV WiFi, the product line started out for Marine use and has expanded into RV use.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

THOR #4160
Will do. I have read a lot of reviews and I am very familiar with the microtik router that is used within the kit and it is a great product. The benefit of the WiFi Ranger is that I setup one local LAN that all my devices connect to (only once and foreever) and then I am able to setup multiple internet connections including USB aircards and even share (dual route) the internet throughput. From what I read on the WaveRV WiFi, it is an antenna to connect to 1 device at a time, which may be less expensive and still meet your requirements or you can connect that to a compatible router and do the same as the WiFi Ranger. Best of luck.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

THOR #2142
Techn0,

I will be running the WaveRV WiFi via a USB port to a small fanless computer that I have installed on the top shelf over the sink in our Vegas. The Computer attaches (hardwired) to a Router making a secure/password protected WiFi hotspot for the RV and our various electronics once logged in.

I have an External Harddrive/Blueray that is hooked via USB to the computer. The HDMI output is split and sent to the outside and inside TV's then using a wireless keyboard I can use either with the computer as a monitor.

Just waiting for dry weather so I can glue on a Stainless Steel plate to mount the antenna externally with a magnetic mount (for quick/easy removal while in transit).

Next step is voice recognition and it looks like Amazon has a cute little gizmo for that.

Doc

Old 05-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

THOR #4160
Sounds like you have a pretty good setup. Check out Plex for organizing and displaying your media which also makes it accessible to all DLNA enabled devices within your LAN.

I have a Synology media server with 7 terabytes of media with Plex running and connected to the Mikrotik. Of course it is accessible by any device connected to my LAN. I have separate Roku 3s on every TV so everyone can watch what they want and the remote even has earplugs so we don't drowned each others enjoyment out.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Erich,

Thanks I will check out Plex...I have some info on it somewhere (home computer).

Doc

Tags
challenger 37lx, retired army