Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Florida
THOR #6556
Thor Issues

I found out over the weekend that the rear window had NO weatherstripping in it, and it leaks under heavy rain. It's an easy fix, but given all the lack of attention to detail I have found in my coach, I would say that nothing should be assumed that it is installed correctly.

Also, the smoke detector has no battery in it.
Go ahead and put some through bolts in the top bunk of the bunk beds and cut the ladder to the correct size, another silly oversite.

T

Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #22

THOR #6556
More AC issues

In Yuma, AZ this week, and called an RV service place because the A/C can't keep up with the load. The gentlemen that answered could not believe they put a 13500 on a 32 foot with two huge slide-outs.

The good news is that this company does the installation of an A/C on-site, so we will get this resolved today, just how much it's going to cost me is the question.

T
Old 05-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #23

THOR #6556
Additional A/C Needed

This particular unit needs two A/C units; the 15k is not enough with two slide-outs. We were able to maintain 82 instead with all slideouts closed, the cab was covered with a blanket and outside temp was only 100. This is after all the preparations we made with tinting windows and correctly installing the A/C unit.

Two 13500 btu units are cooling everything correctly now. This is a gross design flaw in this unit.

T
Old 05-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #24

State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
A/C

You stated that two 13500 a/c are working great now. If 30FE is a 30amp how was it possible to install an extra a/c unit? I thought you needed a 50 amp to have two a/c>
Old 06-01-2017, 05:27 AM   #25

THOR #6556
Yes and no

We have the 30 amp system on the RV from the factory with a 30 amp shore power cord. We now have an additional 30 amp system power cord for a completely separate 30 amp system. This is essentially just a breaker box in the power cord compartment with another 30 amp cord off of it, then we use this cord on a 50 amp connector. So now we request a 50 amp service, even though we won't use 50 amps.

It's essentially a dual 30 amp system, much like the 50 is a dual 50 amp system. It's a fairly common practice here in the desert.

BTW, the entire coach cooled from 85 degrees inside (with a 98 degree outside) to 72 degrees in about an hour with both units on.

wsgts
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #26

THOR #6012
ac

So, where did you install the new a/c and is there a separate switch to turn the a/c on and off? I might consider doing the same if you will provide this information. Thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #27

THOR #6556
Bedroom

It's over the bedroom is the very back, it's a 13,500 unit just like the one in the front. It has a non-ducted grill on it, which has the controls on the bottom so you can set temperature and fan speed.

What I would do differently if I was doing again:

- order a 15,000 and put it on the front: the a/c guy here said we lose a lot of temperature and airflow with the ductwork. The cost difference is like $150 bucks for a 15,000 btu unit, you'll just have to pay for labor to move front to back.
- take the 13,500 from the front and install it on the back.

I will say the disadvantage is the noise of the unit in the back, which we like, but not everyone likes white noise while sleeping.

I'm guessing CW didn't do anything for you?

Good luck!
T
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #28

THOR #6012
so you replaced the overhead vent with another 13500 a/c. How did you route the power to the new a/c - cut hole in roof, run extension cord, etc?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #29

THOR #6556
Correct, overhead vent is gone and additional 13,500 a/c unit is in it's place. At the moment, we just have a single 30amp cord running from it to the power box off of the roof. I'm going to run it through conduit inside to the storage box outside with the other cord when we return to Florida.

T
Old 06-08-2017, 01:18 AM   #30

THOR #6012
second A/C

wsgts - help me understand what you did with the second A/C. Our unit has one long 30 amp cord that you plug into the power box at RV sites. Do you plug that long cord into the adaptor cord you bought that has 50 amp male plug to (2) 30 amp RV female connectors on one plug and then plug your other cord from your second 30 amp a/c into that same adaptor and then plug it into the 50 amp box at the RV site? I assume the second a/c has an outside power connection that you plug your 30 amp power cord to and run that cord over the top of the RV to the adaptor. I would welcome a picture of your setup.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #31

THOR #6556
No problem

dogday51,

Here is a picture of the 50amp to 2 30 amp connector. I think you can see that one of them supplies the 30 amp existing on the coach and the other goes to the second A/C.

Here is a picture of that.

This is the temporary setup while I'm in the Arizona desert. When I get back, I'm having it all wired inside the coach.

Hope this helps,
T
Old 06-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #32

THOR #6012
extra ac for 30FE

wsgts - interesting set up. Who installed the a/c and what was your cost for purchasing and installing? When you return from your trip, let me know how and where you installed the power cable from the a/c inside your RV so that it is not noticeable.