Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 AM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #8882
We are new owners of a 2018 Thor Hurricane 35M.

Driving this "bus" is quite an experience compared to the class C we traded in. Took it on a maiden voyage to Three Rivers, Suwannee River and Torreya State Parks in Florida. My next trip will be out west to Yellowstone and surrounding attractions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to the Forum. Chris and Gail @ Panama City Beach.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:51 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Welcome to the forum! You're going to find such a wealth of information here, you'll find yourself addicted to it like me!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:12 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

Please include you coach model, this will be helpful if you ask questions or need help, members will know which coach you have.

Enjoy yourselves and have FUN,!!!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgailhale@gmail.com View Post
Driving this "bus" is quite an experience compared to the class C we traded in. Took it on a maiden voyage to Three Rivers, Suwannee River and Torreya State Parks in Florida. My next trip will be out west to Yellowstone and surrounding attractions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to the Forum. Chris and Gail @ Panama City Beach.
Welcome! I, too, moved up from a class C to the Hurricane 35M (2017), and am really enjoying the coach. I like the way it handles (after installing the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer), and is surprisingly easy to maneuver in traffic. It also tows my Ford Explorer very well. I have had a handful of fit and finish issues with the coach, but my dealer and Thor have been taking good care of me.

I have put on about 7200 miles on a handful of trips from Ohio to Florida and the Carolinas (i.e., relatively flat terrain), and will be interested in hearing about how your 35M handles for your western Yellowstone trip through the mountains.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Welcome to the forum. Happy trails!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Welcome to the forum! You should be close enough to make it to the Fall Rally so come on down!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28...rida-8611.html
Old 08-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats and welcome!!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
NOW we can get the party started!
Congratulations on your new rig!
How about some pictures???
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

THOR #8882
Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. I am going to be leaving for Yellowstone from Atlanta area on September 16. I will be transporting my wife and her elderly mother. I don't want to get on Mountainous trails with curves with respect to my two Miss Daisey's. I don't want to be white knuckled either.
What is a good route.I don't care anything about St.Louis as I am closterfobic?!?
Any advice would help this old retired cop. Thanks Lt. Chris.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgailhale@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. I am going to be leaving for Yellowstone from Atlanta area on September 16. I will be transporting my wife and her elderly mother. I don't want to get on Mountainous trails with curves with respect to my two Miss Daisey's. I don't want to be white knuckled either.
What is a good route.I don't care anything about St.Louis as I am closterfobic?!?
Any advice would help this old retired cop. Thanks Lt. Chris.

Thank you for your service as a "Man in blue"
Old 09-05-2017, 02:58 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35M
THOR #9076
2018 Hurricane maiden voyage

We bought a new Hurricane from CW in N Little Rock AR on August 2. we were given a very cursory walk through and I had to remind the prep guy that there was no electrical cord in the coach. He found a used one and said good enough.

I had requested a front tire balance at test ride and was told it had been done. I got as far east as Nashville and stopped at a Goodyear commercial center to try to stop the coach from bouncing. Tire pressures were found to be all over the place from 125 PSI down to 70 PSI. (Spec is 95 PSI) which tells me that CW didn't even check tire pressure at delivery. I spent the next week trying to get the coach to stop bouncing. In and out of tire shops, Ford dealers and a front end shop. Nice vacation activities. Still not cured and I believe that Goodyear has a tire problem.

I have spent the past month fixing drawer catches, a large screw coming up through the floor and through the vinyl floor, finishing the shower stall install, I still have no power to the front 12 volt power outlets and the rear camera has stopped working. I'm going to call CW in Mesa, AZ tomorrow and hope for the best trying to get some service.

So far my experience with Thor customer service has been outstanding but after trying to get service at two CW locations on the way home I don't hold much hope. I tried to explain to the service manager in Nashville that I had something coming up through the floor, he told me that he wouldn't be able to help me anytime soon. Not very friendly either.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

Please include you coach model, this will be helpful if you ask questions or need help, members will know which coach you have.

Enjoy yourselves and have FUN,!!!
The topic heading says he has a 2018 Hurricane 35m.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

THOR #9076
Yes, as the heading says it's a 2018 Tho Hurricane originally wit 1100 miles at the time of delivery.

This is our third motor home and the second Thor so I'm not brand new to the problems that can occur but this is the first new one and I am getting my education in pass the buck warranty support, or lack thereof.

I will continue this ongoing saga in a future post if I live through the experiance without going totally bonkers.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:30 AM   #14

THOR #8882
Yep, I feel your pain. I bought an identical one in Panama City in August also. It had 1080 miles. Have had it in shop twice so far(Rv Connections). So far so good. Going to Yellowstone next weekend. Hopefully an uneventful trip for repairs, etc. Hopefully Irma will behave.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #15

THOR #9076
UPDATE
The shop found that the drive train had been damaged during delivery, (they think) the carrier bearing and drive shaft had struck something and bent the bearing hanger and clipped one of the weights off the driveshaft. I'm anxiously waiting for it to be re-balanced and a new bearing installed and try it out hopefully on Monday.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsafetyman View Post
We bought a new Hurricane from CW in N Little Rock AR on August 2. we were given a very cursory walk through and I had to remind the prep guy that there was no electrical cord in the coach. He found a used one and said good enough.

I had requested a front tire balance at test ride and was told it had been done. I got as far east as Nashville and stopped at a Goodyear commercial center to try to stop the coach from bouncing. Tire pressures were found to be all over the place from 125 PSI down to 70 PSI. (Spec is 95 PSI) which tells me that CW didn't even check tire pressure at delivery. I spent the next week trying to get the coach to stop bouncing. In and out of tire shops, Ford dealers and a front end shop. Nice vacation activities. Still not cured and I believe that Goodyear has a tire problem.

I have spent the past month fixing drawer catches, a large screw coming up through the floor and through the vinyl floor, finishing the shower stall install, I still have no power to the front 12 volt power outlets and the rear camera has stopped working. I'm going to call CW in Mesa, AZ tomorrow and hope for the best trying to get some service.

So far my experience with Thor customer service has been outstanding but after trying to get service at two CW locations on the way home I don't hold much hope. I tried to explain to the service manager in Nashville that I had something coming up through the floor, he told me that he wouldn't be able to help me anytime soon. Not very friendly either.
I too purchased a "New" Hurricane at a CW in another state. I had a few (about 6 things) fixed at the CW where I purchased it in GA. I brought it back to Little Rock and had the CW there work on the remaining 6 or so items. After 2 x 3 week visits they still didn't fix everything. In in my opinion, camping world is on notch below a sleezy used car dealership. I'll never use them again if I can help it. There are a couple of other Thor warranty options in the LR area you can get from Thor. On the other side, I have found Thor to be fairly responsive. They even replaced the items that were missing from the new coach (BBQ grill and bedding) that CW totally lied about saying they would send to me. ok, ok, I know this thread is not for venting on service quality but I feel it's my duty (and my way of giving pay back) to warn others of my experiences. We love the Hurricane despite all the initial problems. There, now I feel better
Old 09-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
I think its safe to say and is my opinion that Thor as a company tries to do a pretty good job to address a lot of customer concerns. Yes they always don't get everyone's issues handled but I think in general most of the issues lie with the dealers lack of commitment to help customers. Yes Thor could probably make an effort to improve their quality control but to me its the dealers that mostly drop the ball. Shame on them.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #18

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsafetyman View Post

Camping World in Nashville does not have positive service reputation. However, my experience with Camping World in Chattanooga was excellent and I'm from the Nsvl area! Having a TPMS can provide ease of mind for monitoring your tires.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #19

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
We also went from a class C to the big bus class A. To get it home was 888 miles and through the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel all in one day. That tunnel is very narrow, but had no problem. Enjoy driving it, wife is going to give it a try down 95 when we go to Florida in November.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Idaho
THOR #5564
Congratulations on your new motor home. You will get lots of great information from the folks on this forum, especially about accessories and suspension improvements. My first bit of advise is a careful inspection, over all Thor makes a great motor home, but their attention to some of the finishing details is sadly lacking. My personal inspection revealed several easy to fix issues. Make sure the LPG fittings are tight, water lines, electric wires and cables are secure. I found a very loose LPG fitting, a pinched water line and numerous loose wires and cables. A little snugging with a wrench prevented any LPG leaks. Some reorganizing of water lines got rid of a pinched line and prevented a leak or possible blow out. A bunch of wire ties secured the wires and cables, which if not taken care of could have easily shorted out by wearing against a sharp metal edge or laying on an exhaust pipe. So often things fail when you're out camping away from any mechanic. So have a well fitted tool box handy. If your unit didn't come with them call Thor and have them send you all the schematics for the plumping, HVAC (including wiring, vents and gas lines), LPG lines and electrical diagrams. Make sure you have manuals for all your appliances, A/C, furnace, fridge, awnings, inverters, converts, stove, jacks, drop down bunks and slide outs, etc. This is all stuff you may never need, but it's funny how often little problems can be resolved with the information gleaned from one of these manuals or diagrams. I also keep a spare water pump stowed away. If you smell anything hot or burning, best get it checked out ASAP (we had an improperly installed fridge burning the wood structure and loose wires burning on the furnace exhaust vent). Keep a list of everything that doesn't work and take it in a couple of weeks before the one year warranty expires. Your RV will stay years younger if you can keep it covered while in storage.

Cheers.

2017 Windsport 29m
2017 Chev Colorado Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Toad
pengoquin is offline   Reply With Quote