Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 35.3 miramar
State: Florida
THOR #17329
2019 miramar 35.3

good evening from south florida. just signed the ppwk for a new Thor and it is not without some issues not clarified by the dealer ( no surprise there )

-when switching power from gen set to shore power - you must re-set the switch at the foot of the stairs - difficult to do if you want additional air conditioning once underway
-gps will not see satellite
-when setting temp on thermostat to AUTO seems it has to be prompted to start up by pushing low or high fan speed then reverting to the auto function

any help would be appreciated. thanks
david & cathy

Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
I'd tell the Dealer that you need some... "Clarification", and then not let go of them, until they have you satisfied.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #3

THOR #17329
issues

yes - thank you - did i mention the dealer started has the initials CW and they have the ole saying "hit n miss" with their diagnostics. we go back to them next month just trying to get a little ahead of the curve so I can use the "gadgets" more effectively. david.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You're coming in with both eyes open, and a good game plan...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. Stay on them until everything is fixed!
Old 04-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #6

THOR #17329
new repair shop and new issues

changed shops from CW and yes things improved...got some much needed warranty work done with none of the bs that i had received from CW. still have on going prob with hot water being consistent, but from what i have read that is just the nature of the beast. am now considering the suspension rubbers for the (f53) front end as it tends to sway too much on narrow two lane roads with any cross wind. any comments.. getting ready for cross country trip and for $400 am seriously considering. while we are here - what are real results of the V10 computer upgrades that we see out there... thanks again....be safe....
Old 04-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsguy View Post
good evening from south florida. just signed the ppwk for a new Thor and it is not without some issues not clarified by the dealer ( no surprise there )

-when switching power from gen set to shore power - you must re-set the switch at the foot of the stairs - difficult to do if you want additional air conditioning once underway
-gps will not see satellite
-when setting temp on thermostat to AUTO seems it has to be prompted to start up by pushing low or high fan speed then reverting to the auto function

any help would be appreciated. thanks
david & cathy
The switch at the bottom of the stairs is called the Battery Disconnect Switch. Sometimes missed called the salesman switch. Never understood why the salesman who you will never see agin has his own switch. Never mind that's a story for another time.

The Disconnect Switch disconnects your RV from the 12 volt house battery preventing you from starting the generator. If it is off you can not start your Gen. Left on it should stay on. 120 volts and 12 volts are two different systems. You only need to turn that off during storage or maintenance. There are some paracidic loads (CO, radio, LP) always on unless you physically remove one of the cables from the battery.

Can't help with the GPS. Are you trying to turn it on while inside storage?

When you place the fan in Auto it should default to high or low. When you set it to ON you must choose hi or low. or so I'm told. You can run just the fan on hi or low without the compressor running to circulate air.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The switch at the bottom of the stairs is called the Battery Disconnect Switch. Sometimes missed called the salesman switch. Never understood why the salesman who you will never see agin has his own switch. Never mind that's a story for another time.

The Disconnect Switch disconnects your RV from the 12 volt house battery preventing you from starting the generator. If it is off you can not start your Gen. Left on it should stay on. 120 volts and 12 volts are two different systems. You only need to turn that off during storage or maintenance. There are some paracidic loads (CO, radio, LP) always on unless you physically remove one of the cables from the battery.

Can't help with the GPS. Are you trying to turn it on while inside storage?

When you place the fan in Auto it should default to high or low. When you set it to ON you must choose hi or low. or so I'm told. You can run just the fan on hi or low without the compressor running to circulate air.
The Battery Disconnect (USE/STORE) switch has no bearing on starting the generator. It is connected through the 100 amp breaker which is also tied to the hydraulic pump motor. See the attached diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor_Wiring_Diagram_12_VDC.png
Views:	3223
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	23380  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The Battery Disconnect (USE/STORE) switch has no bearing on starting the generator. It is connected through the 100 amp breaker which is also tied to the hydraulic pump motor. See the attached diagram.
so the gen has is own inline fuse.? Why is he having to reset the battery disconnect to run the GEN? I'm:confused cornfussed.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
so the gen has is own inline fuse.? Why is he having to reset the battery disconnect to run the GEN? I'm:confused cornfussed.
That's not what he said in the first part (bolded):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSguy
But then contradicts it with the last statement (red).

And we're assuming he's talking about the Battery Disconnect switch but we don't know for sure.

So without a better description of the trouble symptoms it makes it hard to help him. And he may have a real wiring issue with the latching relay or control switch.

Or he may have no problem and doesn't know about the time delay to restart the Air Conditioner when power is removed and just relates to it restarting with the time it takes to cycle the battery disconnect, which SHOULD NOT have any effect on the air conditioner if he is on Sp or Generator as both will supply the 12 VDC buss through the converter/charger.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
And then in his post in another thread he says:

Quote:
why the unnecessary re-switching of power when changing from shore power to gen set power
So who knows what that means? Maybe he was referring to the delay in the ATS?

Probably had a very poor PDI/Walkthrough.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #12

THOR #17329
Thumbs up disconnect switch

thank you for helping out.

am going up to rv to crank it up and revisit what I was/am trying to say. sadly the unit has been parked for 2 months and before we set out - want to get some of my issues out there.. yes - i do believe that the PDI was pitiful - thank you.