Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #15087
Electric steps

Hi there! We are new to motor home travel and are getting ready for a trip soon! We own 2018 Thor palazzo 33.2 and love it, if we can get everything figured out! This last obstacle is the electric step, it will not retract. After reading everything they say there should be a switch some where for it, the switches that are above the step to the left are for main power, and the tech said the other was a disconnect switch for batteries. So not sure where a switch would be! Any help or knowledge would be appreciated as we are totally stumped on this one!
Thanks

Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
On the gas versions, there is a switch that selects between 2 modes... One that extends retracts with each door open/close... and one that leaves it out...
In all cases, the steps extend when door is opened (if not already out) and retracts when ignition is turned on and door is closed.
The DP versions may be different... and can’t help with where any switch might be.

Try starting the coach with door closed and see if it retracts.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #3

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
I have a class c my step switch is to the left closest to the floor and steps good luck and have fun
Old 08-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
If you turn the ignition on, the electric steps should retract. If they do, then you step control switch is probably is in the out position. On my coach there are two sets of three switches beside the entrance door. The upper three are interior lights, porch light and awning lights. The bottom three are the Use/Store switch, patio awning's in/out switch and the step's auto/out switch. If course Hazel is an older gas coach, so yours is probably located differently.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
On our 2018 Aria it is right inside the door above the House Batt switch. It is labelled STEP and has ON and OFF positions.

It took me some digging to discover that ON means to DISABLE the automatic extending and retracting of the steps every time that the door is opened and closed. When set this way, the steps will stay extended until you turn the ignition on.

Turning the switch OFF will cause the steps to extend every time that the door opens and retract when the door closes.

Ours has been a bit flakey since day one, most likely because the magnet on the door doesn't quite line up with the sensor mounted to the door jamb. We can make it work most of the time by closing the door slowly.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Does the step retract when you start the engine? Have you looked at the step motor to see if it is damaged? How about the linkage between the motor and the steps? Fuses?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:03 AM   #7

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgriego View Post
Hi there! We are new to motor home travel and are getting ready for a trip soon! We own 2018 Thor palazzo 33.2 and love it, if we can get everything figured out! This last obstacle is the electric step, it will not retract. After reading everything they say there should be a switch some where for it, the switches that are above the step to the left are for main power, and the tech said the other was a disconnect switch for batteries. So not sure where a switch would be! Any help or knowledge would be appreciated as we are totally stumped on this one!
Thanks
We have a clear marked switch on the left bulkhead as you enter the MH. Along with the other switches you mentioned.
However, our's stopped one night and was stuck about 1/2 way up and under.
Since this happened about 11PM I disconnected the step bolts and wired the step in the up position to make our trip.
Once we settled down it was discovered that the step motor had died. Replaced the motor and all is well.
Good luck.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
on my 2014 Palazzo, the switch is the right one of the three when you enter the doorway, though none of them are labeled...

1) Use/Store switch, momentary
2) Awning Out/IN, momentary
3) Steps, momentary... if pressed UP, the steps will always come in and out ANYTIME you open the screen door, even if the coach is not running/parked. If pressed DOWN, the steps stay OUT all the time, when parked. ( I could be incorrect on 'which' is UP or DOWN, but trying both modes will test how it works) Ours is ALWAYS in the OUT mode, meaning that anytime we stop, and park, the steps will come out the first time the screen door is opened, and STAY out the rest of the stay. When you turn the ignition, the ignition safety override will always, though, bring IN the steps, no matter which mode you use.

if you are not seeing any movement by the steps, you may have lost the magnetic connection between the screen door and the door frame, near the bottom hinge area, which is how the coach 'knows' when the screen door is 'opened'. Without this connection, the steps could either always stay in, or always stay out, depending on when the connection was lost.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:23 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: South Dakota
THOR #16603
Steps not working

I have a 2013 Thor Hurricane motor home. The steps to the coach are in the out position. For months they have been in. I moved the coach, opened the door and they went out. Now they are out and will not come back in. I checked the door sensor to make sure it was still in place…ok, checked the battery…ok, checked the wiring…ok. I’m at a loss. Could the sensor be the problem? I’ve had so many electrical problems with this coach. This is just another headache.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #15951
There should be a switch right inside the door that will make the stairs stay out unless the coach motor is started. Will the stairs go in if the motor is on and the door is closed? Have you checked the switch?
Old 11-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #11

THOR #16603
Yes, I checked the switch. I never touched it from the position it was in before I moved the coach. I know they should come in when you start the coach, but like I said, I’ve had a lot of electrical issues. One thing gets fixed something else goes wrong.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:15 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdave View Post
Yes, I checked the switch. I never touched it from the position it was in before I moved the coach. I know they should come in when you start the coach, but like I said, I’ve had a lot of electrical issues. One thing gets fixed something else goes wrong.
You never answered the question of...

Will the stairs go in if the motor is on and the door is closed?

I don't think he was asking you if you knew they were suppose to go in/
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #13

THOR #16603
OK, I guess I was not as clear as I thought I was. The stairs have been in for months. No matter what I did, the steps did not work. I moved the coach from one place to another and the steps came out when I opened the door. Now they are out and will not come back in. I did not touch any switches or wires or anything. This includes them not going in with the motor running and the door closed. This all sounds like a loose wire, but I've checked the wiring...not the problem. I assume it could be the sensor but I'm not sure with all the electrical problems this coach has been giving me.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:29 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
That does sound like a loose wire for the steps. Seems like movement caused the connection and the steps extended. You need to be careful when checking the wiring as the electric motor is extremely strong and if your fingers are in the way of the step movement, you could get hurt.

Paul
Old 11-04-2021, 11:41 PM   #15

THOR #16603
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
That does sound like a loose wire for the steps. Seems like movement caused the connection and the steps extended. You need to be careful when checking the wiring as the electric motor is extremely strong and if your fingers are in the way of the step movement, you could get hurt.

Paul
Thanks, I'll check the wiring again. I could have missed something. If doing that again doesn't fix it, I'll get a new sensor to see if that works.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:47 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You might also try using another strong magnet at the connection point where the screen door contact is located. Mine acted up once and after I used another magnet the switch started operating normally again. It must have gotten stuck in the closed position.

Paul
Old 11-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If you own a motorhome or travel trailer there are two things that are indispensable 1) a 12 volt test light 2) a multimeter. With either you can quickly check a circuit for power. If there is power to the steps then the issue is either the motor or the controller. Without being able to tell if power is getting to the steps anything the boys/girls on this forum are telling you is purely a shot in the dark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:07 AM   #18

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #15951
You might look at this. I’m not sure if it’s your model but it might help. If it is there is a pig tail you can purchase to help you troubleshoot.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...-procedure.pdf
Old 11-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #19

THOR #16603
Thanks everyone for your replies. Hopefully something you offered works.