Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #4518
29.4 Whistling Noise above 55MPH

Hello,
We just purchased a 2016 Thor Ace 29.4 with 2300 miles on the odometer. We are in the middle of the maiden voyage (Orange City Fl to Asheville NC) over 55 mph there is an annoying whistle that seems to be coming from the engine area. It stops below 55 or any time that a large vehicle is in front of or to the right of the vehicle. (I guess this is disrupting the air flow) Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it? It will go back to the dealer next week when we return to FL but I wondered if anyone had any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
I have a 2016 29.3 with same prob. Talked with my dealer and they say it's the grill and Thor sent replacement which I will switch out this weekend. New grill is just wire mesh.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
It's probably the fuel pump on that Ford V10 trying to keep up, next you'll here the fuel tank flexing due to the rapid use if gasoline. They'll pass everything on the highway except a gas station.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans
They'll pass everything on the highway except a gas station.
Not necessarily: My old F-350 and F-450 with the V-10: Yes only a 29 gal tank. The E-350/E-450 chassis motorhomes have a 55 gallon tank and the F-53's an even larger 80 gallon tank.

Can go a long way at 9 or 6 mpg with those tank sizes (9 mpg on the E series, and 6 or so on the F-53)--of course you're parked at the gas station for a while though LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #5

THOR #4518
29.4 Whistling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw View Post
I have a 2016 29.3 with same prob. Talked with my dealer and they say it's the grill and Thor sent replacement which I will switch out this weekend. New grill is just wire mesh.
Thanks for the tip, I'll see what the dealer says next week.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #4992
I'm having the same noise on my 2015 ACE 30.1, I took it to the dealer and they say there is no problem so if anybody figures it out I would love to know, I'm going to put some tape around the headlight bezel's and go for a test drive and see if it helps, I see some gaps between the bezel's and the front nose
Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac bbq pit View Post
I'm having the same noise on my 2015 ACE 30.1, I took it to the dealer and they say there is no problem so if anybody figures it out I would love to know, I'm going to put some tape around the headlight bezel's and go for a test drive and see if it helps, I see some gaps between the bezel's and the front nose
Get a ladder and check the top of your windshield and make sure the black rubber seal is really doing it's job. Mine was not in front of the driver, and it was allowing a small amount of air to come through and whistle. Also, a small amount of water in driving rain. I posted it, but so far nobody has taken notice ...

See the following post: Ace 29.3 windshield leaks in driving rain
Old 08-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #8

THOR #4518
29.4 Whistling Noise above 55mph

I had the RV at the dealership and they sealed around the front windows and that seemed to lessen the noise but it did not stop it. There is still some noise intrusion that they haven't found yet. I'll ask them to check the windshield as well. How did the grill change work out?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I had it at about 50 mph too on my 2015 Vegas 24.1. It wasn't until water started pouring in from the driver's top corner of the windshield that we were able to troubleshoot it.. Dealer performed leak test & found large area of windshield not sealed properly. They sealed it, passed a leak test. No more leak and whistle gone. If air is getting in and making a whistle, it won't be long until water will also get in.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I had it at about 50 mph too on my 2015 Vegas 24.1. It wasn't until water started pouring in from the driver's top corner of the windshield that we were able to troubleshoot it.. Dealer performed leak test & found large area of windshield not sealed properly. They sealed it, passed a leak test. No more leak and whistle gone. If air is getting in and making a whistle, it won't be long until water will also get in.
Now that's what I been talking about! Thanks for your input.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #11

THOR #4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Thanks guys, I'll have them check the windshield.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:20 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #24163
I have a similar experience a used Thor ACE 30.1 we just purchased. I talked with an experienced RV mechanic who said it is likely and air inlet FORD uses and it may just be something we have to live with as a characteristic of the engine. He is giving her a check-up and doing some maintenance. If he finds something different, I will be back with his explanation. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #20468
The stock grill can cause a whistle noise. I installed a mesh grill behind my stock grill and eliminated the whistle for mine.

I bought the grill from cargrills.com.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #14

THOR #24163
I'm very interested in doing this modification. Would you mind sharing which mesh grill you purchased and how you installed? Thank you so much.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #20468
I used black plastic honey comb shape. I think it is 4 foot by 2 foot sheet. cargrills.com.

I measured and cut it to fit behind the stock grill.

I then removed the stock grill and glued zip tie blocks to the back of the stock grill so you cannot see them from the front. Use good glue.

I installed the stock grill and used long zip ties to fasten the new grill to the back side. Keep the zip ties loose until you have them all installed and then zip them tight. I cut the zip ties off and melted the ends with a lighter so no sharp edges.

Not a hard job but I took my time and it looks good. It took care of my whistle noise and keeps rocks out of the radiator.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #16

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I did this modification on my 2021 33.1 ACE. I didn't help much with the noise. But.... I like having it there for some protection for the radiator from foreign objects. I will be checking the windshield rubber seal next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
The stock grill can cause a whistle noise. I installed a mesh grill behind my stock grill and eliminated the whistle for mine.

I bought the grill from cargrills.com.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #17

THOR #24163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
I used black plastic honey comb shape. I think it is 4 foot by 2 foot sheet. cargrills.com.

I measured and cut it to fit behind the stock grill.

I then removed the stock grill and glued zip tie blocks to the back of the stock grill so you cannot see them from the front. Use good glue.

I installed the stock grill and used long zip ties to fasten the new grill to the back side. Keep the zip ties loose until you have them all installed and then zip them tight. I cut the zip ties off and melted the ends with a lighter so no sharp edges.

Not a hard job but I took my time and it looks good. It took care of my whistle noise and keeps rocks out of the radiator.
Awesome. I can't wait to try this. Appreciate the details.