Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
My full wall slide is fine, just needs to sync once and a while!! I have the 3 rails on mine

Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
slides

SuperD,
Is that the same bridge I just made an offer on in SF? I used to look at that bridge everyday.

I really think the slide issues are a combination of technology and lack of quality control. Different manufactures have differing methods for moving slides and none of them are without problems. I don't think there is a reliable method of moving long slides. The installation seems to be somewhat temperamental. If not done just exactly right, you will have problems.

Yes, I know all about the proper procedure to extend and retract the slides, but they still have problems.

Personally, we avoided coaches of all manufactures with long slides. They do create a lot of floors pace, but not worth the potential problems.

Should I call my realtor?
Old 12-02-2016, 02:29 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Dogday51
Thor, or any manufacturer, will continue to make products that they think, or they can convince the public to buy. They are not in the business of taking products off the market just because they have problems.
I don't know if 5% over invoice is a good deal or not. I did read several posts in which prospective buyers determined the coach and specs they wanted and then went out the bid. Given the expense involved i think this is a great idea. I wish we had done so.
I don't know what the answer is to buying at a show and then having someone local doing the servicing. That would have to be worked out as part of the deal and then be etched in granite.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #24

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
29M or 34F

Thanks for everyone' s comments. I went to MSHRV.com and their prices seem to be a little less than buying local. I am now leaning toward a 2017 Windsport 31S with 50 amp, 5500 generator, two air conditioners and three slides. I have seen some class A's with the leveling jacks down at campsites and the wheels are off the ground. Are the leveling jacks sturdy enough to support the weight of the RV especially when changing a tire? Is the Triton V10 a reliable engine. Thanks and keep your comments coming.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've owned several rvs and only once had jacks lift the tires off the ground, it was in a state park and the site was VERY sloped. You should never use the leveler to change a tire, very dangerous since the jack was not designed for that purpose. If you chose a 31 it's not going to have a spare, most class A coaches don't. A spare is very heavy, the lugs really need an impact wrench, and I don't think most people would be capable of doing it, I'm not a little fella and I don't want to! You should get a roadside policy either with your insurance, thru Good Sam, or a similar company.

The Triton V-10 has been around since about 1997 or so. Some of the earlier engines had problems but it has evolved in to a very sturdy and reliable engine. After Chevy got out or the RV market Ford has become the major manufacturer. Personally I have never been a Ford person but I do like the Ford chassis, they pretty much have it dialed in!

We bought our Coach at MSHRV and were very happy with their entire process. I had not heard of MHSRV until I moved to Texas but based on our experience I don't hesitate to recommend them, and that's not something I do often!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51
Is the Triton V10 a reliable engine.
These days the V-10s are bulletproof. About the only issue with them is high-mileage or older engines may break an exhaust manifold bolt or two (my F-350 had two break at 70,000 miles).

It is an overhead valve design that loves to rev though..something to get used to.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
31S and MHSRV

I am considering buying a Thor 31S from MHSRV in Texas. I know some of you have bought from this dealer and would like some comments on your purchase. More importantly customer service, pressure from salesman to purchase something different that what you had wanted, difference in sales price quoted on web site and what you actually paid, extra charges that you were included on the purchase contract that you did not anticipate, etc. I live in Hot Springs Arkansas and somewhat concerned about service on the RV if it brakes down and if I can get it repaired here instead of going back to Texas. Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #28

THOR #5196
My wife and I never experienced pressure from anyone! The salesman showed us around the lot, was patient, answered questions, and was pretty much just a very nice person. Every step of the process was smooth and easy, from or initial trip until we drove off the lot. The unit we picked had just been delivered and had not been thru pre-delivery inspection yet. We made arrangements to pick up our coach the next weekend. Before taking possession I was given a complete walk-thru of the coach with a technician, only after I was satisfied was I asked to sign any papers. Very rarely do I recommend dealers, this is a reflection of my judgment, if a person has a bad experience then I feel like it questions my knowledge and integrity. I would go back to MSHRV if I wanted to purchase anything else, wouldn't hesitate, based on the experience I had.

The service department people are very nice! One week after taking delivery the rear AC quit working. I called MSHRV and got an appointment for the next Sat. The tech was waiting for me, got right on my coach, diagnosed a faulty freeze sensor, fixed it and had me on my way in a little over an hour. Don't think I could ask for better service than that!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I disagree about the full wall slide. The coach is built on a steel platform, this is what resists the torquing on rough roads, not the structure on top. I have the construction prints for my coach and know exactly how it is built. .....cut....
SuperD, it's interesting to note that typical truck chassis, like the Ford F53, built out of "C" frame rails are not particularly stiff in torsion. That's the main reason that Ford redesigned the Super Duty F-350 chassis to have tubular chassis rails.

This short video of a Ford F550 driving off-road, while not an F53, clearly shows just how much twisting a truck chassis can go through. And that's unloaded, where it would be easy for a rear wheel to lift off ground instead of frame twisting as much. A loaded frame like that of a motorhome's, and one that is much longer, would twist far more than we can see on this video.

https://youtu.be/kOeAn0Hn1hQ
Old 12-09-2016, 11:40 PM   #30

THOR #5196
Chance, to a certain extent I agree. Before Thor builds on the F53 chassis there are reinforced subframe and cross members welded in place which I believe substantially strengthens the overall structure. Are there problems with slide outs, of course there are, but it still doesn't deter me from owning one.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #31

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Also Looking to Buy a 31S early 2017

Following as I am looking at buying a Hurricane or Windsport 31S early in 2017. Still trying to decide on the window upgrade - the standard windows have less insulating value but they provide much more ventilation than the optional windows. Would like to hear from anyone who has gone through RVOne superstores - they quoted me a great price on a factory order but I would have to pick up the unit in FL or NY. I am in central VA. Local dealers play pricing games and adds ridiculous doc and prep fees so I will take a gamble on buying out-of-town.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We have worked with the RVOne folks in NY before and they give good pricing. We found a similar unit here in VA and got good pricing based on our quote from RVOne. It saved us a long trip to do PDI and pick up and allowed us to purchase a unit we actually got to walk through.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Thanks for the response. What dealer in VA did you use? PM me if you prefer. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:14 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Thanks for the response. What dealer in VA did you use? PM me if you prefer. Thank you.
Your PMs are turned off. But I am happy to recommend Reines RV in Ashland as that is who we went through. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #35
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Windsport

Hello All,

I am presently looking at purchasing a 2017 Windsport 31S. Now I am concerned about my prospective purchase because it has one 15,000 BTU a/c, which is an upgrade from the 13,500 a/c. The posts that say one a/c is not sufficient do you know if they are 15.000 BTU. The 13,500 in my Vegas is able to cool in Florida and I was hoping the 15,000 BTU would handle the extra 4 feet.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #36

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
I have a Windsport 27K with the 15,000 BTU AC and find it works fine for us here in FL. There are different opinions of course! But I like this unit being a 30A supply which wouldn't be possible with two AC's.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
A very close family member just purchased a new 31S with one 15,000 BTU/hr A/C. By July or August they should know if one air conditioner is enough in Florida sun. If not they can always add a second.

It is a nice floorplan for its size, and appears to be very popular.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I have a Windsport 27K with the 15,000 BTU AC and find it works fine for us here in FL. There are different opinions of course! But I like this unit being a 30A supply which wouldn't be possible with two AC's.
I also have the 27K with 1 15,000 BTU and find it suffice for our MH at night we usually put it on low setting. I did change out the thermometer to a digital which made a world of difference keeping proper temperature

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #39
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A very close family member just purchased a new 31S with one 15,000 BTU/hr A/C. By July or August they should know if one air conditioner is enough in Florida sun. If not they can always add a second.

It is a nice floorplan for its size, and appears to be very popular.
I will know before then if I pull the trigger will have it in a couple of weeks.

Kev
Old 02-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #40
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
I also have the 27K with 1 15,000 BTU and find it suffice for our MH at night we usually put it on low setting. I did change out the thermometer to a digital which made a world of difference keeping proper temperature
I changed mine out on the Vegas your right a big difference. I would take it out before trade in if I thought it would work in the Windsport.

Kev