Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #41
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A very close family member just purchased a new 31S with one 15,000 BTU/hr A/C. By July or August they should know if one air conditioner is enough in Florida sun. If not they can always add a second.

It is a nice floorplan for its size, and appears to be very popular.
I am sure it is a lot more money to add it later than from the factory that's the only problem.

Kev

Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #42
Kev

THOR #3918
Windsport

Two issues made me go with the 31S over the 29M. Maybe just me but after researching I just didn't feel comfortable with a full wall slide and the shower is 24" wide I barely fit in it and forget about turning around. Again just me, some people like Fords some people like Chevys. Each person has to decide what fits there needs.

Kev
Old 02-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #43

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Two issues made me go with the 31S over the 29M. Maybe just me but after researching I just didn't feel comfortable with a full wall slide and the shower is 24" wide I barely fit in it and forget about turning around. Again just me, some people like Fords some people like Chevys. Each person has to decide what fits there needs.

Kev
We have full wall slide never had a issue. But with the money we spend on MH you got to make sure its the right one and you are comfortable with decision and livinging it. Good luck with new ride

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
I will know before then if I pull the trigger will have it in a couple of weeks.

Kev
They will be picking it up next weekend, I believe, but in my opinion they (or anyone else in Florida) won't really know if the A/C is large enough in February. While it can be warm in February, it won't really test it at maximum load. I think July and August will be warmest months on average.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Quote:
I am sure it is a lot more money to add it later than from the factory that's the only problem.

Kev
Absolutely correct, but I think they got a great price in part because it only has one A/C, which appears to be in less demand in Florida.

Owners on this forum have successfully installed second A/C with separate power cable that can connect to 20-Amp plug at pedestal, but that doesn't address the 4,000 Onan not being able to run them.

I think there are other options should heat become a problem while dry camping or tailgating in summer.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #46

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Absolutely correct, but I think they got a great price in part because it only has one A/C, which appears to be in less demand in Florida.

Owners on this forum have successfully installed second A/C with separate power cable that can connect to 20-Amp plug at pedestal, but that doesn't address the 4,000 Onan not being able to run them.

I think there are other options should heat become a problem while dry camping or tailgating in summer.
Yes the gen will not power the second a/c. It must be powered by the pedestal. I don't dry camp in the desert so it wont be a problem for me if I add the second a/c.

And yes I believe I got a very good price for my 29m. Would have been about $15k more for 2 a/c and 50amp

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #47

State: Georgia
THOR #3737
We own a 2016 31s and went to the keys in June/July of 2016. We can say without a shadow of doubt, one AC will not cool the coach. When we returned from our trip, we added the second AC. Like some have mentioned, we did this with the separate cord plugged into the 15 amp leg of the pedestal. I personally do not like full wall slides, or slides with any appliances in them. Probably not an issue, but why chance it.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:58 PM   #48
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane8 View Post
We own a 2016 31s and went to the keys in June/July of 2016. We can say without a shadow of doubt, one AC will not cool the coach. When we returned from our trip, we added the second AC. Like some have mentioned, we did this with the separate cord plugged into the 15 amp leg of the pedestal. I personally do not like full wall slides, or slides with any appliances in them. Probably not an issue, but why chance it.
If you don't mind me asking what will it cost to add a second a/c?
Also do you have the standard 13,500 or optional 15,000 BTU
Kev
Old 02-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #49
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Yes the gen will not power the second a/c. It must be powered by the pedestal. I don't dry camp in the desert so it wont be a problem for me if I add the second a/c.

And yes I believe I got a very good price for my 29m. Would have been about $15k more for 2 a/c and 50amp

Jerry
Jerry do you know Of yours had 13,500 or 15,000 BTU a/c?

Kev
Old 02-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #50
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Jerry do you know Of yours had 13,500 or 15,000 BTU a/c?

Kev
The reason I ask is I have a Vegas 26.5' with a 13,500 BTU and go to Key West. I never had an issue with cooling. I would think the extra BTU of the 15,000 could handle the extra 4 foot.

Kev
Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:
The reason I ask is I have a Vegas 26.5' with a 13,500 BTU and go to Key West. I never had an issue with cooling. I would think the extra BTU of the 15,000 could handle the extra 4 foot.

Kev
It's not just the length that has to be estimated. The 31S has a lot more slide area plus a lot more slide seals that can leak, thereby allowing extra heat and moisture into motorhome. The 31S is also wider and taller.

Additionally, a 15,000 is only about 11% more capacity than a 13,500, which isn't much. If you estimate based on length alone, it still falls short:

26.5 feet X 15,000/13,500 = 29.4 feet

The 31S I think is about 31'-6" or close to that. Having said that, a lot depends on personal needs. Some people are OK with cooling down to 80 degrees while others must have it down to 70 degrees. And that difference is huge when it comes to required capacity. It's hard to compare based on subjective feedback that may not apply directly to you.

Good luck, honestly hope it works out for you.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:07 AM   #52
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:

The coaches in Florida are ordered by the dealer. If one a/c was less in demand they wouldn't order coaches with one a/c. They are not going to order coaches that aren't in demand.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:10 AM   #53
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
It's not just the length that has to be estimated. The 31S has a lot more slide area plus a lot more slide seals that can leak, thereby allowing extra heat and moisture into motorhome. The 31S is also wider and taller.

Additionally, a 15,000 is only about 11% more capacity than a 13,500, which isn't much. If you estimate based on length alone, it still falls short:

26.5 feet X 15,000/13,500 = 29.4 feet

The 31S I think is about 31'-6" or close to that. Having said that, a lot depends on personal needs. Some people are OK with cooling down to 80 degrees while others must have it down to 70 degrees. And that difference is huge when it comes to required capacity. It's hard to compare based on subjective feedback that may not apply directly to you.

Good luck, honestly hope it works out for you.
I hardly think 80 degrees is cool. I live in Florida and don't know anyone who feels 80 degrees is cool in their home during the summer.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #54

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
I am considering buying a Thor 31S from MHSRV in Texas. I know some of you have bought from this dealer and would like some comments on your purchase. More importantly customer service, pressure from salesman to purchase something different that what you had wanted, difference in sales price quoted on web site and what you actually paid, extra charges that you were included on the purchase contract that you did not anticipate, etc. I live in Hot Springs Arkansas and somewhat concerned about service on the RV if it brakes down and if I can get it repaired here instead of going back to Texas. Thanks
We just bought our coach (17 Challenger 37TB) from MHSRV and they were great to work with.
They have a lot of coaches on the property and you can drive yourself around and look at most of them without a salesman tagging along. I would definitely buy from them again.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #55

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
One good or bad thing depending on your view point, MHSRV orders all of their coaches with max AC due to Texas heat. If a coach offers dual AC that's how they order, if only one AC they will get the 15,000 unit. One trip we were parked in the open sun with temp around 90-95, took both ACs to keep cool. Better to have to much than not enough when it comes to keeping cool.

Dual ACs are of course more expensive, generator is upsized to handle the extra load, again more expensive. You get what you pay for and if you want to stay cool it's gonna cost!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #56

THOR #2121
Quote:
I hardly think 80 degrees is cool. I live in Florida and don't know anyone who feels 80 degrees is cool in their home during the summer.
Then it may surprise you to learn that 80F DB inside and 95F outside temperature is the standard condition for rating these air conditioners.

That's only a 15 degree difference. If someone wanted to cool to 70F on a 100F day then the difference is 30 degrees. Think about what that would do to the required A/C capacity to stay cool depending on your expectations or needs.

For what it's worth, I grew up in south Florida without air conditioning and 80F would have been a blessing.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #57

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
One good or bad thing depending on your view point, MHSRV orders all of their coaches with max AC due to Texas heat. If a coach offers dual AC that's how they order, if only one AC they will get the 15,000 unit. One trip we were parked in the open sun with temp around 90-95, took both ACs to keep cool. Better to have to much than not enough when it comes to keeping cool.

Dual ACs are of course more expensive, generator is upsized to handle the extra load, again more expensive. You get what you pay for and if you want to stay cool it's gonna cost!
Exactly. I was just on their site and found that every single 29M or 31S Hurricane or Windsport that I could find was listed with 2 A/Cs and 5,500 watt generator.

Personally, I think Texas (Houston area anyway) feels even hotter than Florida in summer. In middle of summer on a hot day one A/C wasn't really enough to cool my small 24-foot Class C beyond just being OK. At 3:00 PM it often couldn't get down anywhere near 70F.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #58

State: Georgia
THOR #3737
It cost us almost $1400 to install the second AC in our 31s. $700 for the AC, $150 for misc. parts and power cord, $550 for labor. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #59
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane8 View Post
It cost us almost $1400 to install the second AC in our 31s. $700 for the AC, $150 for misc. parts and power cord, $550 for labor. Hope this helps.
That's for the info that's what I was looking for.

Kev
Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #60
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Then it may surprise you to learn that 80F DB inside and 95F outside temperature is the standard condition for rating these air conditioners.

That's only a 15 degree difference. If someone wanted to cool to 70F on a 100F day then the difference is 30 degrees. Think about what that would do to the required A/C capacity to stay cool depending on your expectations or needs.

For what it's worth, I grew up in south Florida without air conditioning and 80F would have been a blessing.
It may surprise you to know that i was in Key West last summer and the outside temp was 95 degrees and it was 74 degrees in my coach.