Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #1

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: 31P
State: Texas
THOR #26735
Abilene TX

Greetings and Salutations.
I recently purchased a used 2007 Thor Dutchmen 31M with 67,000 miles. I was in a hurry to get this for the price ($23,000) that I neglected to do a thorough inspection of the unit. Bones are great but the interior cloth was worn and pet odors as well as carpet stains.

We discovered after getting home the owners were not adept at PMCS. Dometic Hot water tank was blown from freezing, toilet leaked, AC was dirty and the roof hadn't been clean in a while. We pulled out the drivers and passenger seats, sofa and easy chair, removed covers and for $2500 getting everything re-upholstered.

Found new heater tank and repaired heater ($380) and had the carpets professionally cleaned after initial DIY. So after three weeks of cleaning repairing and painting we are finally finishing up.

The cap in front leaked from all three windows. Removed all of the foam core and Bleached the mold. Removed all the rusted screws from the seam joint and replaced the interior 1x2 wood with sealed replacement wood. I used RTV between the wood and fiberglass cap and then screwed the seam back. After getting rid of the mold I also had to repair the cab roof seam at the back of the cap. All the screws backed out of the aluminum frame so I cleaned it out and used Flex Seal White to seal the seam and then clamped and pop riveted the cab to the aluminum frame. Now it's solid.

My last thing to do; I fiberglassed the tub for the base to reinforce the tub and now I am preparing to install 1" foam board with adhesive to the three slots between the aluminum rails. I cut out a 1/2" plywood deck that will be painted and sealed and then with adhesive, mount back onto the base and screwed down. That will finish the cap repair. I also pulled all three windows, cleaned and installed Gila Platinum reflective film and then using 'Through the Roof' waterproof adhesive remount the windows. They will never leak again.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Well it's about time we landed a newb with huge talent and great attitude combined.
Please stick around and help solve problems.
Congratulations on diving right in.

Some people have been on a six month warranty wait for a loose screw...

Damn I'm glad you showed up.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS14796 View Post
Greetings and Salutations.
I recently purchased a used 2007 Thor Dutchmen 31M with 67,000 miles. I was in a hurry to get this for the price ($23,000) that I neglected to do a thorough inspection of the unit. Bones are great but the interior cloth was worn and pet odors as well as carpet stains.

We discovered after getting home the owners were not adept at PMCS. Dometic Hot water tank was blown from freezing, toilet leaked, AC was dirty and the roof hadn't been clean in a while. We pulled out the drivers and passenger seats, sofa and easy chair, removed covers and for $2500 getting everything re-upholstered.

Found new heater tank and repaired heater ($380) and had the carpets professionally cleaned after initial DIY. So after three weeks of cleaning repairing and painting we are finally finishing up.

The cap in front leaked from all three windows. Removed all of the foam core and Bleached the mold. Removed all the rusted screws from the seam joint and replaced the interior 1x2 wood with sealed replacement wood. I used RTV between the wood and fiberglass cap and then screwed the seam back. After getting rid of the mold I also had to repair the cab roof seam at the back of the cap. All the screws backed out of the aluminum frame so I cleaned it out and used Flex Seal White to seal the seam and then clamped and pop riveted the cab to the aluminum frame. Now it's solid.

My last thing to do; I fiberglassed the tub for the base to reinforce the tub and now I am preparing to install 1" foam board with adhesive to the three slots between the aluminum rails. I cut out a 1/2" plywood deck that will be painted and sealed and then with adhesive, mount back onto the base and screwed down. That will finish the cap repair. I also pulled all three windows, cleaned and installed Gila Platinum reflective film and then using 'Through the Roof' waterproof adhesive remount the windows. They will never leak again.

Congratulations proud of you guys!
Old 06-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Well it's about time we landed a newb with huge talent and great attitude combined.
Please stick around and help solve problems.
Congratulations on diving right in.

Some people have been on a six month warranty wait for a loose screw...

Damn I'm glad you showed up.
Don't you know it. I get tired of reading the same type of posts every day.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #5

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: 31P
THOR #26735
Eventually we will post everything on FB so standby.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:40 AM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Good job on working on the project. Sounds like you did a solid job of repairing.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum
Old 06-02-2022, 11:54 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Congratulations! Sounds like you’re up to the task of making the unit yours. Enjoy. And yes, send pics.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Glad you were willing and able to tackle those issues.

Paul
Old 06-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260

Welcome
You did an amazing job. With your talent, you just earned a job here on the forum.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote