Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
DTB

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #6977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There are a few models with this "feature" with a lot of speculation as to why its there. From what I've read (ours doesn't have one) Thor puts the valve on when the waste tank is across the coach from the dump outlet. I think one of the hypothesis has been to keep that long run empty--especially during winter storage.
Well, that seems most plausible. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it open during normal camping and close it only for storage. If I do keep it open it would add maybe a gallon or two to the black tank capacity, yet again that tube (pipe) would be full of effluence. Decisions decisions.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 AM   #22

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
State: Florida
THOR #7515
I picked up my 2017 Thor Citation 24SR this past Friday and am reading with interest all the comments. I will be considering some of the mods discussed.

I wonder what kind of fuel milage is normal for these MHs? Also, what speed do you travel?

My first mod will most likely be a battery monitoring kit. Then I will consider some level of solar panels and an inverter. I am keen to try living within a solar energy budget if that is possible.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #23
DTB

THOR #6977
We had a Class B based on a Sprinter chassis and we routinely got between 19 and 21 mpg. We are expecting between 16 and 18 mpg (haven't measured it yet) with our Citation.

Our traveling speed doesn't vary much, for the most part we travel at 65 mph
Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 AM   #24

Model: 24SA
THOR #3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6lmj View Post
I picked up my 2017 Thor Citation 24SR this past Friday and am reading with interest all the comments. I will be considering some of the mods discussed.

I wonder what kind of fuel milage is normal for these MHs? Also, what speed do you travel?

My first mod will most likely be a battery monitoring kit. Then I will consider some level of solar panels and an inverter. I am keen to try living within a solar energy budget if that is possible.
I have about 8000 miles on my Citation. I've tracked gas mileage from the beginning. You really start paying for it once you go over 65 mph. Best I've done is 18 mpg worst was 14 mpg. A couple of notes that I think are important to consider:

I live in FL so everything is very flat.
I'm usually loaded up pretty well.
Not many of my trips involve just setting the cruise control at 65 and running for 300 miles. I bet I'd get more in the 17-18 mpg range.
I've learned not to fill up the water tank when I am just going to a RV park as there will be a hook up there and I don't need to carry around all the extra weight.

Side note - It's really annoying that the gas light comes on at a quarter of a tank. I'm always stopping to fill up thinking I'm running close to empty just to find I had another 6 gallons in the tank.

I'm glad I have the propane generator as I think the range on the RV is not great and it would be even worse if I had the generator running off the same diesel tank.

Repairs - Slide track, kitchen window, blinds, and I am sure more to come (thanks Thor).
jutdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:24 AM   #25

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
We have over 19k on our Synergy and from the first trip the fuel economy has typically been around 15-17 mpg (hand calculated). The best mileage (17.5 mpg) has been in the flatlands of the South and the worst (14 mpg) was heading west through Kansas into headwinds.

Ed and Robin
2016 Thor Synergy TT24
Beaver, WV
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:23 AM   #26

THOR #7515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutdean View Post
I have about 8000 miles on my Citation. I've tracked gas mileage from the beginning. You really start paying for it once you go over 65 mph. Best I've done is 18 mpg worst was 14 mpg. A couple of notes that I think are important to consider:

I live in FL so everything is very flat.
I'm usually loaded up pretty well.
Not many of my trips involve just setting the cruise control at 65 and running for 300 miles. I bet I'd get more in the 17-18 mpg range.
I've learned not to fill up the water tank when I am just going to a RV park as there will be a hook up there and I don't need to carry around all the extra weight.

Side note - It's really annoying that the gas light comes on at a quarter of a tank. I'm always stopping to fill up thinking I'm running close to empty just to find I had another 6 gallons in the tank.

I'm glad I have the propane generator as I think the range on the RV is not great and it would be even worse if I had the generator running off the same diesel tank.
Thank you for the detailed post. My punch list includes a faucet in the bathroom that isn't right. They have ordered one, and the pad on the step on the drive's side came off the very first time I drove it out of the driveway. So, I guess the games are beginning.

However, I am very pleased I bought the 24SR and have purchased a Fiat 500C with manual transmission and am now researching what tow system to install.

I have TT since 1974 and have never done better than 14 MPG. Normally, much closer to 10 MPG, and as low as 6.5 MPG. I will be very pleased to do noticeably better.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #27

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Seems Thor didn't completely think through the wet bay. We have the Gemini, which is setup a bit differently, city water has its own direct connect, tank fill is separate. The pan does have an opening for the sewer hose to drop through on its way to the dump connection, & the compartment closes ok with the sewer hose connected and since city water is a separate connect, that poses no obstruction. I too love the Mercedes chassis, it is by far the best driving small motor home of any I have driven. Mileage is incredible, averages about 17MPG, instead of the 6.5 I was used to on former DP. There are no shortage of things I wish Thor had done a bit differently, but overall, now that we have spent 6 or 7 months getting defects fixed, its a pretty usable little MH. We only have one knife valve for the black tank and one for the grey. We will come to the one year mark around November 1st, so as of this moment in time, I believe everything is working, will get some summer use out of it, then see if anything breaks prior to the one year mark.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #28

THOR #7515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Seems Thor didn't completely think through the wet bay. We have the Gemini, which is setup a bit differently, city water has its own direct connect, tank fill is separate. The pan does have an opening for the sewer hose to drop through on its way to the dump connection, & the compartment closes ok with the sewer hose connected and since city water is a separate connect, that poses no obstruction. I too love the Mercedes chassis, it is by far the best driving small motor home of any I have driven. Mileage is incredible, averages about 17MPG, instead of the 6.5 I was used to on former DP. There are no shortage of things I wish Thor had done a bit differently, but overall, now that we have spent 6 or 7 months getting defects fixed, its a pretty usable little MH. We only have one knife valve for the black tank and one for the grey. We will come to the one year mark around November 1st, so as of this moment in time, I believe everything is working, will get some summer use out of it, then see if anything breaks prior to the one year mark.
Very nice write-up. I went to look at the 24TX and think I like the concept for the bed in the back. It seems more practical than the bed in the 24SR. I have the loft bed instead of the front skylight, which for me, with 13 grandchildren will undoubtedly come in handy. I am planning three trips this year. A short trip to West Palm Beach from De Leon Springs, Florida. Then a trip to Key West. Finally, I will take a two-month trip to chase the solar eclipse in the Midwest, and then stay out west for family and business for about two months. I will visit most western states, including California and Montana, but will likely miss Texas.

I wonder how well the 24SR will handle the mountains pulling the Fiat 500. I am guessing it will slow me down, but not cause me to be the slowest RV climbing a mountain grade. I am about to order either the Roadmaster, or the Blue OX base plate for the Fiat 500C. I am sure I will spend a few days on the install of the base plate, breaklights, and associated systems. With any luck the first two trips will go well before the long trip around the nation.

Thanks again for your excellent writeup.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #29

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Does the Sprinter chassis handle the wind better. I just spent 3 months out west and the wind beat the heck out of us in our class c 25 footer ford chassis.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6lmj View Post
Very nice write-up. I went to look at the 24TX and think I like the concept for the bed in the back. It seems more practical than the bed in the 24SR. I have the loft bed instead of the front skylight, which for me, with 13 grandchildren will undoubtedly come in handy. I am planning three trips this year. A short trip to West Palm Beach from De Leon Springs, Florida. Then a trip to Key West. Finally, I will take a two-month trip to chase the solar eclipse in the Midwest, and then stay out west for family and business for about two months. I will visit most western states, including California and Montana, but will likely miss Texas.

I wonder how well the 24SR will handle the mountains pulling the Fiat 500. I am guessing it will slow me down, but not cause me to be the slowest RV climbing a mountain grade. I am about to order either the Roadmaster, or the Blue OX base plate for the Fiat 500C. I am sure I will spend a few days on the install of the base plate, breaklights, and associated systems. With any luck the first two trips will go well before the long trip around the nation.

Thanks again for your excellent writeup.
Having that separate sleeping area in back was important to us. When our grandkids were little we took them with us a lot, but we had the 41 foot DP, so space was not a problem, plus a big shower tub combo for them. Now they are too old to want to go with Grandma and Grandpa, so its just my wife our little dog and me, so the Gemini is adequate for our needs, plus its small and easy to handle. I have an HHR toad, which we always towed with the DP, the Gemini struggles a bit with it, and I will rarely tow now. The Gemini is small enough that we can use it to pickup supplies etc. We can always rent when we need to, which we will. I saw a question about the Sprinter chassis and wind. I haven't been in 60 or 70 MPH winds with it, but it does well in 25 to 30 MPH winds. You certainly do feel it, but it stays in its own lane. Not having driven any of the other small B+'s or C's I'm not able to offer a comparison.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #31
DTB

THOR #6977
Was crawling under the rear of our 2017 Citation 24SS and I found a heating pad for the black tank. The pad was attached to the tank and wired to somewhere. As far as I can tell this unit does not have any switches for a tank heater. Anyone care to chime in and tell me what's going on with this heating pad?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
In my unit it is triggered by the out side temp
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #33
DTB

THOR #6977
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
In my unit it is triggered by the out side temp
Most interesting. How do you know when it’s on and working?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #34

Model: Thor Siesta 24SS
State: North Carolina
THOR #9026
In my 2018 Siesta 24ss, I have a LCD screen at the entry door that controls most functions of the coach. One of the buttons is a toggle to turn on/off the heating pads.

Love this MH. Like others in this thread, I’m upset about the poor design of the wet bay.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #35

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-AR View Post
We bought a Siesta Sprinter 24SV last month. It is the same as the Citation. The first night we camped, we discovered the problem with the water bay.
The door wouldn't close with the hose attached. It rained a lot that night, so our bay filled up with water. There was no drain plug or hatch for the hose to go through. We intend to get a hatch in the compartment.

Overall we love the floorplan and the driveablity. Enjoying it!

We will be taking it in for some warranty work soon. The biggest issue we have had is with air leaks around the coach door. It seems warped and just doesn't fit tightly.
Definitely an oversight but this was a Cheap and easy fix. Run your hose up. Use a 90 degree hose adapter. Oatey 2 in. Gripper Mechanical Plastic Test Plug