Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
Thumbs up Buying Vegas 27.7

Hi everybody,

My wife, Lynne, and I are buying a Vegas 27.7 and are wondering if we need to upgrade the generator or batteries because Lynne needs to run an oxygen concentrator (600 watts) and a portable unit battery charger.

If anyone knows, it would be a great help. Thnxs. We are so looking forward to keeping a bunch of promises to each other about going to see our country.

Ken

Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #2

THOR #9612
Not sure about upgrading, but you may want to add a solar panel for backup
Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You are going to have to run the generator or be plugged in unless you get an inverter. Ideally you will need a good size battery bank (at least 300 amp-hours) and an auto start for the generator. 600 watts is a draw of about 60 amps per hour @ 12 volts or 3 hours on the batteries before you need to recharge the batteries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You'll also want to download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

(If you haven't already.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
IF buying new......You should try to negotiate putting in the Auto-start/stop for your gen set, an extra battery or two and also have a fairly sizable inverter (suggest a Magnum 2500w or larger) wired in at the git go...before you take it home...That way you should get a full meal deal warranty on them..
ALSO... Demand at least 2 roof A/C units (and size the gen set to match)
These coaches (of any brand) are an ice box in the winter and a dutch oven in the summer.

The solar may or may not help.. depends on weather/sun/shade...and how much money you have to throw at the RV...

HOWEVER...IMHO....

Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

Remember!!!!
Every day you "put off" retiring...is just one LESS day you have remaining to enjoy being RETIRED !!!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if you are always going to be 'plugged in' to Shore Power at rv parks and campgrounds, then your concern would only be during the 'travel' time, right?

if so, and if the air supply can run off it's own battery during travel, then you only need the Electric when parked, I'm assuming... but if you DID need to recharge the battery during travel, you can certainly run your generator to provide all the power you need.

I don't see that you'd need a special inverter, more batteries, or anything else unless you are truly OFF-GRID ... which may not be what you are looking to do if you really have a health-related appliance that must always be powered.

if you DO want to power the air or the battery charger, while traveling, and without running the generator, you could certainly purchase an easy-to-use off the shelf inverter at Walmart, in the automotive battery section, that can easily power up to 750w or higher, either by plugging it into one of your 12v outlets powered by the House batteries, or by directly connecting the inverter to the House batteries via the supplied alligator type clips.

no worries.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
Hi everybody,

My wife, Lynne, and I are buying a Vegas 27.7 and are wondering if we need to upgrade the generator or batteries because Lynne needs to run an oxygen concentrator (600 watts) and a portable unit battery charger.

If anyone knows, it would be a great help. Thnxs. We are so looking forward to keeping a bunch of promises to each other about going to see our country.

Ken
The Thor Vegas is a Great choice.
You will love it.

In my opinion...
> No generator upgrade is necessary
> No battery upgrade is necessary, but be aware that the Thor stock batteries do not seem to last long. So within a year or so, be prepared to replace with two new high quality batteries (12 volt deep cycle or AGM, or 6 volt)
> A 1200-2000 watt inverter (built-into the Coach, of course), is preferred so you are not required to start the generator or be plugged into shore power in order to run your 600 watt device.
All the info you need about inverters is on the Thor Forum to guide you thru the installation process (i.e. if you want the Dealer to do it, or if it's your own weekend DIY project).
Many on this Forum have professionally installed an inverter in their rig for under $200 as a DIY project.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Congratulations.

All great ideas above.

I say negotiate the lowest price you can on your RV (if you havent already).

Perhaps they can thow in new batteries so you know they will last (mine pooped out in 6 mo or so).

Do a walk though and try and catch the big stuff that needs fixing before you roll off the dealers lot.

And dont do ANY mods until you try it out and see what you need (or dont need). You might be happy how it is. Keep you eye on the charge level of the batteries.

And keep asking question on this forum. They are a wealth of information.

Good luck
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They've got you covered on the electrical questions... I'd just like to welcome you to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with the comments to wait and see what additions you need. We are still running on the original batteries after more than 3 years of use. Axis/Vegas do not have an option for a second A/C. If you find you want that, you'll have to wire a cord from the additional unit to connect to the source.
Your results will vary!
Old 12-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #11

THOR #14024
Thank you.,
Old 12-22-2018, 03:22 AM   #12

THOR #14024
Am planning on it. Thank you
Old 12-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #13

THOR #14024
Many thanks and welcomes back to all that answered.

This was a very nice welcome. Thank you for your advice and welcomes. We hope to meet you someday in person.

I hear the voices of experience, I'll start with solar. The migrate to AGMs and an inverter.

Thanks again
Ken and Lynne Happel

Tags
concetrator, oxygen, vegas