Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #5488
Handling at speeds above 60 mph

I just bought my first RV, a 2014 Thor A.C.E. 27.1 with approx. 16,500 miles. I've noticed that when I'm driving at 65 mph it feels like the front end is lifting up and it feels a little squirrely. I asked one of the RV Service centers by me about it and he said it was something that these motorhomes did because of the frame. He said stabilizers might help a little but didn't think it was worth the money.
Anyone else have this issue and if so were you able to fix it?
Thanks,
My wife and I are eager to get on the road. Our first trip is planned for the beginning of October. We head from Southern Calif. to Dallas, TX, then up to Ames Iowa, through Wyoming and not sure where after that.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:31 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I dont have the answer for you but only a suggestion. Get the coach weighed by axel. Its possible that you have to much weight on the rear axel and the front is to light

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Have the front end Aligned by a good Truck shop, and check the tire pressure
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I agree with what has been suggested. If you are heading out the first part of October try to get into a good truck center for the front end alignment right away. While it is in there have them air up all your tires and check torque on all lug nuts.

After that if you drive it and there is no difference then I suppose you can weigh it and start attempting to adjust your load somewhat. Weight adjustments will be minor though because you can't move the engine, gas tank, or other heavy items like the frig.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I drove my 2016 Axis in South Dakota at 80 Mph all day and never had an issue. However, the Axis is on an E-450 chassis and the ACE is on an F-53. I agree that an alignment and balancing as well as air pressure, total weight and weight balance are important especially at higher speeds.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskro View Post
I just bought my first RV, a 2014 Thor A.C.E. 27.1 with approx. 16,500 miles. I've noticed that when I'm driving at 65 mph it feels like the front end is lifting up and it feels a little squirrely. I asked one of the RV Service centers by me about it and he said it was something that these motorhomes did because of the frame. He said stabilizers might help a little but didn't think it was worth the money.
Anyone else have this issue and if so were you able to fix it?
Thanks,
My wife and I are eager to get on the road. Our first trip is planned for the beginning of October. We head from Southern Calif. to Dallas, TX, then up to Ames Iowa, through Wyoming and not sure where after that.
We have a 2015 Hurricane 27K with the same chassis. I have spent close to $4K on suspension upgrades. All helped some but still drives like a hockey puck at times. Some of it just takes getting used too. I usually keep my speed around 60 - 65, but have been around 80 at times while passing. Good luck and enjoy your new coach. When in doubt slow down.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote