Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #17060
Greetings from sunny Tucson!

Hello!

I've been researching smaller RVs for a while, and while the size, capabilities, and cost of the new Sequence fits my mission near-perfectly, the numerous horror stories of atrocious Thor quality control really puts me off the brand.

What gives? Why does this have to be? And is it worth spending the extra cash on a seemingly better-made Winnebago Travato?

Thanks in anticipation!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

You've come to the right place to discuss a Thor coach.

The Sequence is so new you're probably the first one to seriously discuss it here.

The Sequence (and its sibling the Tellaro) have two opposites going for them:
  • They have most of the Van chassis intact and thus less for Thor to mess up, however
  • They are brand new and may have a few wrinkles to them

The thing with buying a Thor is to find a really good dealer. That will have a greater impact on your purchasing experience than any lack in Thor's quality (a good dealer will make everything right in the end).

In addition: If you have any big issues you can always take it to factory service in Wakarusa, IN--they will make everything right (even things you didn't know about).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A hint as to the horror stories:

Yesterday a member here somehow managed to tie current Thor quality to aluminum dump truck frames from 1972.
I was all balderdash, but he did it.
Aluminum framed overloaded dump truck failures from 1972 were linked to the way Thor uses modified steel frames today. No discernable reason to link them, no proofs from 1972, no proofs about Thor.
I asked for even one instance of Thor failure. I got crickets.
But someone will read it and decide Thor frames crack.

Take the quality bashing a with a dash.

Please know the difference between Dometic and Thor, axxera and Thor, Ford and Thor.
If there is something inadequate, like you want a gas stove instead of induction, pay the dealer for the change and have it installed. If you don't like that seat, pay the 600 bucks for the one you do like. 600 bucks on a 60k vehicle is 1% of the price. Just one percent to get happy. Or, hate that seat forever and tell all of the hate.
The tv's are place holders. The microwave is a place holder.
I don't think in the history of the world anyone ever said
'look honey! They use axerra tv's! Man, that's the quality we want!'

That axxrera radio (mine was fine but for 149 bucks I now have a 10"screen and android 9) is just a place holder. If you're OK with it, use it. If you want a $6500 system, Thor didn't scalp you by installing a $1,000 system that is too much money for some, not enough quality for others.

Are they inexpensively built so they fit the budget of people who want a relatively inexpensive vehicle?
Yes.
Are there 1 to 1 happy vs not, or 1,000 to 1 happy vs not, or 10, 000 to one happy vs not?
Sqeaky wheel, yadda yadda.

Does the beef recall of 1,000,000 pounds of beef due to a single sliver of metal make national news and national outrage?
Yup.

Good hunting.
Look closely at complaints and then decide.

I've changed the things I'm not happy with. The digital thermostat was 38 bucks to replace the slide type I disliked. 38 bucks did not enter into my decision to buy the Floorplan I liked.

Every single word I posted above relates just as well buying a pre-built Prevost.
It's not Thor apologetics, it's common sense regarding any purchase of any item, clear down to a hamburger. Extra pickles please, no mustard, no bun, Samsung TV please, standard hot water tank, hold the instant on.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're really glad that you found us, and yo have asked an excellent question!
As Jamie pointed out: both of the Class B models are new to the line-up; so their story has yet to be written...
But as far as complaints: this is the internet, and everybody likes to complain about everything in here!
(The folks that are happy... they're too busy enjoying their RVs to talk much... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

We looked hard at the Travato before we bought our Vegas in 2015. At that time, the Vegas was less $$ and gave us the storage, both inside and out, that we needed. Plus more towing capacity. A friend bought an Era about the same time, and had a few problems like we did with our Vegas. They used it mostly for driving from point A to point B, and didn't sleep in it much.

You would be smart to compare both the Sequence/Tellaro and the Travato. Set in each for an hour or so, and think about how it fits your expected travel style. Arizona is a long ways from both Iowa and Indiana, so the dealer should be a big part of the equation.

Happy hunting!
Old 08-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #17791
We are 2 months in and our Tellaro 20AT SkyBunk is performing well. We have a few items on the punch list that we will resolve but right now we are just enjoying our new rig.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Thanks for letting us know that it's "scratching all the right itches" for you.