Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR former owner
State: Tennessee
THOR #8033
Talking Tips needed: Traded Class A for smaller Thor 2018 Compass 23TR

Hi,

We just traded our 2017 Thor Axis for a smaller 2018 Compass 23TR. We wanted to stop towing a vehicle behind us on all trips and we wanted something we both felt comfotable driving. Also, big MPG imrpovement is a big plus. Our vehicle is a Ford Transit 350 HD diesel. Our floorplan has one back slideout with fold up bed.

We are looking tips for maximizing inside and outside storage and usage for this smaller unit. It is more downsizing than anticipated. Yet, we are happy with the Compass so far. We just want to make the most of it!

Also, we have a loose one piece curtain with velcro along the edge;however, there are no hooks on the vehicle cab. I am not sure of the best placement? Not, what this actually is ..... Our last unit had a motorized front screen.

And, we have no bumper to place the sewer pipe on either nor back ladder to attach stuff to.... Does anyone else have a bumper?

We live in Tennessee ( near Nashville and also Dale.Hollow Lake areas) and are active retirees. Happy traveling and stay safe!

Thanks for your help!
Donna and Brad

Old 07-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the "smaller side of the rainbow"!
That loose curtain with Velcro is the privacy curtain for your windshield. (You'll probably find a couple more for the side windows.)
Can you store the Slinky in your dump bay? That's where I hid mine. Put a cap on one end of it, and collapse it down as short as possible. Then you cap the open end.
No ladder? No problem! Just don't plan on carrying anything outside your new rig!
You could probably put a bicycle rack up front...
Old 07-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It it's a single curtain it is probably to separate the living area for the cab and not cover the overhead bunk area. That is what I was given for our prior class c which was SOB. Look on the ledge that is the overhead bunk base and see if you see a couple velcro strips attached.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #4

THOR #8033
Thanks for the help Dave!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

THOR #8033
Thanks Bob! haha
Old 07-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A macerator and a 3/4 garden hose does away with the slinky.
$100+ for both together.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #7

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We own a 2019 Compass 23TR - so very similar to yours. I don't have many tips on storage. But as Bob says, you can coil up the sewer hose and put it in the dump bay. The curtain is the privacy curtain for night. It would start on the driver's side window in the corner, go to the front window corner, around the mirror and then the same on the passenger side. Look for velcro along the top of the windows.
We like our Compass - easy to drive, can park it almost anywhere and the gas mileage is very good. Enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #8

THOR #8033
appreciate the help!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #9

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Other Helpful Sources

You may also want to follow the Gemini/Compass list on this site. You can find it at https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...pass-9558.html Very helpful folks there.
Also, I've found the Thor Owner site helpful. You have to register at https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/ Use the VIN from the Ford Transit - not the Thor VIN. Lots of manuals specific to your motorhome and helpful videos too.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
We had a 31' Winnebago Class A and now own a Four Winds 24BL Sprinter based RV. We have plenty of storage area, the limiting factor is the weight.....take a good look at your cargo capacity. You can probably mount a caped PVC pipe somewhere underneath to store your sewer hose (they actually make square tubes for that purpose...google it).

Like your RV we also have a front curtain that attaches with Velcro and to say it sucks putting it mildly because it is in the way when you swivel the seats around. I just ordered custom magnetic window shades from Quest-Overland, pretty pricey but a much better and neater solution. They only make shades for MB but I am sure there are companies out there making similar products for Ford.

By the way, we have no regrets in downgrading. Its the two of us and a 85 lbs Dobie and it works. Love the MPGs!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #11

THOR #8033
Thanks for the help and tips about weight too! Happy Travels
Old 07-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #12

Model: Quantum WS31
State: New York
THOR #14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
We own a 2019 Compass 23TR - so very similar to yours. I don't have many tips on storage. But as Bob says, you can coil up the sewer hose and put it in the dump bay. The curtain is the privacy curtain for night. It would start on the driver's side window in the corner, go to the front window corner, around the mirror and then the same on the passenger side. Look for velcro along the top of the windows.
We like our Compass - easy to drive, can park it almost anywhere and the gas mileage is very good. Enjoy it.
We have a 2018 Compass 23TR also. A good basic coach though space is tight. We store the sewer hose and washout hose in a compartment behind the LP tank compartment. Otherwise, we tow a a vehicle with a Kar Kaddy and put just about everything that won't fit in the RV in the car (grille, spare tire, folding chairs, etc.). works well for us. Nice basic coach, good on fuel, easy to drive and very comfortable to sleep. Space is tight, especially when cooking but we make do. I just go outside in the ckam and savor a beer or two while the activity goes on inside. we also have a connection with the hose propane to run a grille so we don't need to cook inside.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #13

THOR #8033
Thanks for all the helpful hints and tips!
Old 08-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #14

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #11607
Congratulations. We've been wanting to try out Lily Dale and Willow Grove campgrounds on Dale Hollow. Just 2 1/2 hours from us. I've drove through both in my pickup on the way home from seeing a client.

Enjoy figuring out this phase of travel. To me that's half the fun.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #15

THOR #8033
Thank you!

Tags
23tr, compass, downsizing, tips