Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #12405
Another Thor Newbie

Hello this is my first time doing the RV weekend life and have decided weekends will not cut it. I anticipate retiring soon if all goes as planned and I am curious to find out how others do the RV life. We have a 2018 Thor ACE 32.1. Some things of course do not work and some of the workmanship after we started using it was like REALLY? The headboard of the bed was not screwed into the wall. The awning quit working and the bed over the cab will not lower but all was working when we picked it up. Had an issue with power that I was able to fix myself (pats on back).

Even with a few hiccups we are ready to start the travel. The past two weekends we took it out have really given me the bug to do more and more.

I have questions about toads and what are the best vehicles etc... Short trips we can follow with a car but that gets old and I have no one to talk to or help on the drive.

I did discover if you do not hit the main power on your way into the coach good luck trying to get the radio/camera to function. Apparently that is tied to the house batteries. I was trying to not run anything on the short run to the campground. Lesson learned.

I have watched some helpful youtube stuff on boondocking and staying at walmarts and cabellas on trips to cut down on costs. Is it best to do camping clubs? Interested in peoples thoughts that have done all, both, some.

Anyways. I love the RV even with its flaws. I am sure it will serve us for a few years.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

As for toads: By far the easiest way to tow is 4 down. It takes a couple of minutes to hook up and you're off. A favorite vehicle to tow (at least on the forums here) is a Jeep (easy to get setup for towing 4 down). Especially if you are by yourself towing 4 down makes sense.

I dolly tow our toads simply because I can tow just about any FWD vehicle without modifications to the vehicle (so far I've already towed 4 vehicles: A Focus Electric, an Escape, a C-Max Energie, and a Chevy Bolt).

For the main power the general rule is: always leave it on unless your are storing the coach unplugged for any length of time. The batteries will not charge when power is off.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
My suggestion after reading your one comment about not wanting to run anything on the short run to the campground.... I wouldn't hesitate to use every working part on that coach. You really do it no favors. You will also find out, usually at a more opportune time if some aspect is not working or not working properly instead of being sadly surprised on a trip where you are far from home. Run the generator at least once a month, 1-2 hours with at least a half load is another must.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaloley View Post
Hello this is my first time doing the RV weekend life and have decided weekends will not cut it. I anticipate retiring soon if all goes as planned and I am curious to find out how others do the RV life. We have a 2018 Thor ACE 32.1. Some things of course do not work and some of the workmanship after we started using it was like REALLY? The headboard of the bed was not screwed into the wall. The awning quit working and the bed over the cab will not lower but all was working when we picked it up. Had an issue with power that I was able to fix myself (pats on back).

Even with a few hiccups we are ready to start the travel. The past two weekends we took it out have really given me the bug to do more and more.

I have questions about toads and what are the best vehicles etc... Short trips we can follow with a car but that gets old and I have no one to talk to or help on the drive.

I did discover if you do not hit the main power on your way into the coach good luck trying to get the radio/camera to function. Apparently that is tied to the house batteries. I was trying to not run anything on the short run to the campground. Lesson learned.

I have watched some helpful youtube stuff on boondocking and staying at walmarts and cabellas on trips to cut down on costs. Is it best to do camping clubs? Interested in peoples thoughts that have done all, both, some.

Anyways. I love the RV even with its flaws. I am sure it will serve us for a few years.
Congratulations! Welcome to our group! I hope y’all have fun!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:52 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

Toad, Jeep #1 favorite and easiest to set up.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:55 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our Band of Merry Travelers!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #7

THOR #12405
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
My suggestion after reading your one comment about not wanting to run anything on the short run to the campground.... I wouldn't hesitate to use every working part on that coach. You really do it no favors. You will also find out, usually at a more opportune time if some aspect is not working or not working properly instead of being sadly surprised on a trip where you are far from home. Run the generator at least once a month, 1-2 hours with at least a half load is another must.

What do you do when it is stored for the winter months? Here in the great white north it will be in inside storage for a few months. Can't run the generator while in storage.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
State: Florida
THOR #12223
Hi just took delivery of a 2017 pd31. The unit came with two 12v batteries and an extra tray for two more house batteries. Wondering whether to just add two more twelves or replace all with four 6v Thoughts ? Just to provide more info, this unit has a residential refrigerator ( new for us) so I assume draws more power. We are planning on dry camping so powering the refrigerator is important. Thanks for any advice