Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #13931
Hi Everyone

My wife and I will be picking up our new 2019 Thor 28E from the dealer next week, they are saying a 2-3 hour walk through. Are there any particular items I should pay extra attention too with this brand? It has a F450 front end. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Lou

Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #2

THOR #9612
Check for hot water, water leaks, plug in something to check outlets etc
Old 12-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

Is that a Chateau or Four Winds 28E? If so then that is an E450 chassis.

That is actually pretty good that they are telling you 2-3 hours (instead of just tossing you the keys and sending you on your way). Take plenty of notes and, possibly, pictures and video.

Make sure they run everything for you--everything! Make sure the water system works on both city water hookup and on the pump, have them show you how the water heater works and that you get hot water, make sure furnace works and blows warm air, make sure A/C works, extend and retract the slides several times, etc.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome and congratulations.

Check it out very carefully BEFORE you pay them (Yeah you can do that - but they wont like it). If you see something major I would tell them to fix it NOW BEFORE you pick it up. They are more motivated to get things fixed right away that way.

But like me I had about 10 - 12 small things i found that we work out the first YEAR (Yeah took about that long) but I found about 15 other small things (most cost zero to fix) so I just fixed myself (was not worth that time and hassle bringing in).

But I love my RV and now the bugs are worked out its great and I would do it all over again if I had to.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Check for any evidence of water leaks in the over head bunk. Like was said make sure everything works. From experience from not noticing make sure all the heater ducts work. We had one that wasn’t connect to the heater and caused problems on our first trip
Old 12-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
You'll need two checklists
Functionality
Appearance

If each of you concentrates on one of the lists: you stand a much better chance of catching any issues; before they become problems.
Anything not solidly attached, scratched, missing or sloppy is on one list
The other one is for checking out the functioning of ALL of the systems in your rig:
Lighting
outlets
plumbing
Entertainment
Sewer connections
The fresh, gray, and blackwater tanks
generator
awning
levelers (if equipped)
drawers and doors should move easily, and latch securely
refrigeration

I've probably forgot a whole bunch of stuff to check. Other folks can shime in with their list of favorites.

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

THOR #13931
It is a chateau.
Thank you all of you for those great replies.
They actually asked me to put off picking it up an extra day so their mechanic can thoroughly go through all the systems. I'm buying it from La Mesa RV in Sacramento California they sent it to Davis to their service center for full
check out then delivery. The service manager also asked me if anybody talk to me about an outside paint protection and inside protection coating. I told him no and that I would research it and get back to them on that. I don't know what else they would put over clear coat. as for the inside I think I will probably put seat covers on the driver and passenger seat I throw blanket on the couch and the dining area well that's a dining area it should wipe clean with soap and water pretty good.
I'm looking forward to sharing more adventures with all of you on this form.
Thanks again
Lou
Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

THOR #9612
I had the outside paint surface July 1017, cost to much, just paid a guy $300.00 to wax the outside including roof, an detail the interior, $10.00 per ft. For what permacoat cost in should have save my money.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

You'll find some excellent checklists, including a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) list in the manual that Ed Felker did for the Axis and Vegas. Many of the components are the same as your new coach, so you'll find some valuable information there!

Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Old 12-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

THOR #13931
Thanks...
That checklist is no joke, Priceless info
Old 12-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #11

THOR #13931
I met the service center and put their skills to the test with that checklist it was great, they could not believe how much i went over the vehicle. They did not even have a checklist. I found a problem with the heater and they repaired it on the spot while I did the paperwork. Brought some overalls and rolled around under it. thanks again for that list.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Checklists can be like magic. Kudos again to forum hero Ed Felker!

Some dealers are so thorough that you almost don't need a PDI checklist. (Our last one was that good.) Then there are the rest of them.

Other checklists will be just as valuable, packing, setup, departure. Or make your own. They'll save you a lot of frustration.

Happy trails!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #13

THOR #13931
You are correct an E-450
Old 12-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #14

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Hello from TN mountains!