Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Axis 24.1 Owner - New to This Forum

We've had our Axis 24.1 since June 2014 and it has a little more than 5K miles as we wait to start out in 2015. My wife and I have camped in tents, pop-ups, Class A 30+ Ft, Class C 21ft and now the Axis which is the best by FAR! Right after purchase, I installed an Ultra-Gauge to track fuel and with trips through the mountains of WV and TN as well as home in NC, we have averaged 9.76 MPG on the first 5K miles. This while towing a trailer carrying our Smart car.

We're looking forward to 2015 travels that will include New Orleans, LA; Vicksburg, MS; Savannah, GA; Charleston, SC; Myrtle Beach, SC; Gettysburg, PA; Pigeon Forge, TN and others yet to be named.

This is a great unit for 2 people and you could probably get along fine with 1-2 smaller children but space can get limited pretty quickly.

I've had only two concerns since taking delivery. First, heed that warning posted next to the driver about checking wheel alignment after you get the coach loaded for travel. Second - don't be surprised if your slide-out fails - they use a specialized cylindrical motor to drive the slide and it has a propensity to come loose in it's mount and spin until the wires break off the top. There are two motors, one on each side of the slide. Fear not, if/when it happens, call a mobile repair service and they'll assist getting the slide retracted. Two grown men can do it alone by first getting the slide aligned by pushing very hard on the side that failed to get it lined up. Then have someone man the slide switch and operate it while someone outside pushes to get the slide retracted, Mine occurred 450 miles from home but the dealer (Camping World) and Thor made repairs quickly with no hassle.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The slide mechanism is made by Lippert Components and is called the Schwintek system. Here is a video about manual override for it:

If you search Youtube for Schwintek you can find a ton of videos on it (including videos about how to replace the motors).

Welcome and congratulations on your Axis. We've had ours for a year now and just love it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
You are correct - all of that will work - unless, as in my case, one of the motors has worked loose and twisted the wires off all the motor leads - then, there is nothing to override and closing with muscle power is the last option. There are two motors and if one is no longer connected, there is nothing to override. Obtaining the codes is a piece of cake and for Axis owners, the slide control box is in the outside hatch under the drivers seat attached to the back wall up near the top of the compartment. By the way - you den see if broken wires are the issue by standing on the sofa (or step stool) and looking over the top of the slide - if you see loose wires on either of the outside corners - a motor has come loose in the housing and has twisted until the connecting wiring broke loose.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Thank you very much For providing this valuable information for other fellow Axis owners.