Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post

.....cut.....

Keep coming back to the forum. We'll be glad to hear from you and your adventures in the new rig.

I’ll second that. And in particular would love to read Doc’s comparison and or evaluation of his previous Class A versus new Class C. Normally we read an A is an upgrade from a C, but not in this case. So what remains are more of the core differences, which should be interesting to read.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 AM   #22

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

Great to hear from you.

The Viper is considered a Class B+. I have seen it listed as a Class C in some ads. THe best I have been able to find out, in so far as the big difference between the two, comes down to two things:
1. Length for a Class B+ is usually under 30ft (Which is what we wanted, Viper 27V is at 28.5 Ft.).
2. There is no sleeping area above the cab (Which is what we wanted, yet it is not available in the majority of the Class A's in Thor's line up. Never really looked that hard at the Thor line up of Class C's or Class B's).

Splitting finer hairs comes in when compairing the Class B to Class B+. The big differences come down to two things:
1. The Class B's are on Van Bodies while the Class B+s are are on a Van or Truck chassis...most of the time.
2. The Class B's usually have a "wet bathroom". Thanks, but no thanks.

Seeing as how what we wanted was a Motor Home that was under 30ft (got 28.5ft ), no "drop-down bed" over the cab (got storage and TV placement) and not a "wet bathroom"...the Viper 27V seems to fit the bill. It does have a smaller brother, the Viper 25V at 24ft 8in (just a bit smaller than our Vegas 24.1), BUT we both liked the extra room and the funny looking Euro Recliner that fits in the 27V.

Once we get the Unit and log some "stick time" with it I'll post how this little SOB does.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #23

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,

Great to hear from you.

.....cut.....

Seeing as how what we wanted was a Motor Home that was under 30ft (got 28.5ft ), no "drop-down bed" over the cab (got storage and TV placement) and not a "wet bathroom"...the Viper 27V seems to fit the bill. It does have a smaller brother, the Viper 25V at 24ft 8in (just a bit smaller than our Vegas 24.1), BUT we both liked the extra room and the funny looking Euro Recliner that fits in the 27V.

Once we get the Unit and log some "stick time" with it I'll post how this little SOB does.

DocMike

Doc, between the 25V and 27V I think you made the right choice. Neither can be parked like a car anyway, so might as well get the best floorplan if just a few feet longer (granted ~4 feet longer can be issue for some).

I always prefer the bathroom on driver side to minimize drainage problems, and also think two smaller slides versus one full-wall slide is a good idea (although I personally prefer no slides at all).

I also like much of what Nexus appears to be doing by keeping motorhome lower which should improve aerodynamics, handling, and fuel economy. For us 6’-5” of headroom is more than plenty. And if it leads to a MH only 10’-7” tall overall even better.

Look forward to your review.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:29 AM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Congratulations on your retirement and best wishes on your new travel plans.

We'll be interested in your assessment of the Viper. The 27' is the only thing I've seen that could replace our Vegas, but we don't plan to trade anytime soon. Still, I won't be showing this to Mrs. S!

Thanks for your valued input here and your promise to stick around. Happy trails!
Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #25
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Hello to one and all. Over the past 5 years I have learned a lot on this Forum

I plan to remain in the Forum more now as an observer.

Thanks again.

DocMike
Hey DocMike ! Congratulations on your new Viper ! We checked out the floorplan and it looks amazing !

We have, certainly, enjoyed conversing with you the past 4 yrs and look forward to hearing from you with reports on your travels !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #26

THOR #2142
Kay,
Great to hear from you and all others on this site.
Friday we go in for the PDI and paperwork. We have 2 1/2 hrs on the board; but we are the last of the day so we will be done when we are done...with or without overtime for staff.
We will keep you posted.

DocMIke

Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #27

Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
We also are in the process of becoming SOB's. Downsizing from the ACE 29.3 to a Winnebago View 24D. I will also hang around, because there is info on here that applies to all sorts of motorhomes. I also have learned a lot just by reading, and there has been good advice to my questions too. Besides, sometimes I just have to read for entertainment value. A big shout out to all those who gave me good advice, as well as those who also continue to give good entertainment.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 35c
THOR #16922
Sorry I am a little slow on the up take, what is SOB, DW?
Old 02-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckysbak View Post
Sorry I am a little slow on the up take, what is SOB, DW?
Some other brand

Dearest Wife
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 35c
THOR #16922
Thank you for the update.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's when they start calling you, "The S.O.B. with the S.O.B."; that the definitions start getting a bit confusing...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #32

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It's when they start calling you, "The S.O.B. with the S.O.B."; that the definitions start getting a bit confusing...
Happy Valentines Day Bob, did you call me; or were you calling another S.O.B. with a S.O.B.

To OP, Congratulations on new Viper B+ Buying an RV can be exciting and lots of fun when you know what you want and what to do with it when you do finally get it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I was actually referring to myself...
HVD to you and yours!
Old 02-15-2020, 03:39 AM   #34

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Very nice looking rig.
We had a B+ for over 10 years and loved it. I couldn't get comfortable driving a C, didn't like the visibility restrictions in a cabover. If I had seen these coaches before we bought the ACE I might be driving one as well!!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #35

THOR #2142
All,

PDI went well yesterday. Left it at the Dealership for a few little nit-picky things to be done. Will go back at lunch today to get it.
I must admit it was nice to look under the hood and see all the parts...including the engine's battery!
Roofers have the driveway and yard pretty much torn up right now so will probably spend the night at a campsite around here for the first night's shake down.
Will post more once we log some stick time.

DocMike

Old 02-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #36

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
All,

PDI went well yesterday. Left it at the Dealership for a few little nit-picky things to be done. Will go back at lunch today to get it.
I must admit it was nice to look under the hood and see all the parts...including the engine's battery!
Roofers have the driveway and yard pretty much torn up right now so will probably spend the night at a campsite around here for the first night's shake down.
Will post more once we log some stick time.

DocMike

Get those roofing nails up. Get a strong magnet