Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #24262
Best Satellite Antenna

We are new RV owners. Just purchased a 2022 Thor Tellaro, Class B coach. We are looking to add on a satellite antenna to get TV programing when not in an RV park (is that called "boondocking"??)

Does Direct TV offer such equipment? All I can find online is Dish and a variety of oddball antennas?

Any recommendations of what type of equipment would be best would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:32 AM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
DISHnet is the most accommodating for RVers. Go on-line to find the best deal.

For your class B rig…probably best to roof mount a dome dish. Very lightweight, ez install.
Some have a quick-release so if you park in an area without a clear view of southern sky, you can move it away from your coach and run an extension cable.

There are many dome dishes to choose from.
First, know that there are 3 DISHnet satellites for you to receive your channel package.
After set-up, dome dish searches automatically for the correct sat for the channel desired (vs an open faced dish that stays fixed & always receives 3 sats, thus has more functionality).

Many larger class A rigs choose to go with an open faced dish.

Here are photos of my rig with a Winegard G3 Carryout dome dish. I started with that one.
And, later I an upgraded to a Winegard Hybrid Trav’ler open faced unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1CDCAC-7764-40DD-8E32-3597E24C7FE8.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	878.0 KB
ID:	32251   Click image for larger version

Name:	B5B80D6E-34DE-4352-8977-C35E8614167B.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	32252  

Name:	D52CD28D-3033-4D2E-A8A4-E762424223A9.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	32256  
Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I prefer DT and get excellent picture quality

With the DT extra package i get >250 channels and DVR in the Tuscany, Lake House, shop, and SB for less than 140

Only one Genie however, the other DVR's are 2 channels

Tuscany came with Wingard DT and it has been trouble free

If you're only going to have one location it might work with Dish howwhen i had dish they raised my prices significantly
Old 07-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I prefer DT and get excellent picture quality

With the DT extra package i get >250 channels and DVR in the Tuscany, Lake House, shop, and SB for less than 140

Only one Genie however, the other DVR's are 2 channels

Tuscany came with Wingard DT and it has been trouble free

If you're only going to have one location it might work with Dish howwhen i had dish they raised my prices significantly
When you say DT are you referring to Direct TV or Dish TV? I have the Dish largely because I had it previously at my home and it's easier to work with in my opinion. Both do the same thing. To the OP, original poster, check out the Winegard site for what they offer. The open antenna like the Trav'ler will give the best reception because it's larger. BUT it's fixed on the roof so where you park may not have the required sky visibility. A Playmaker or Tailgater in their line can be move out to that sky access but there reception may not be as strong.

You can even get a home style antenna, put it on a tripod mount and aim it. But you'll have to manually aim it. Research the offerings and decide HOW YOU want it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #5

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
When you say DT are you referring to Direct TV or Dish TV? I have the Dish largely because I had it previously at my home and it's easier to work with in my opinion. Both do the same thing. To the OP, original poster, check out the Winegard site for what they offer. The open antenna like the Trav'ler will give the best reception because it's larger. BUT it's fixed on the roof so where you park may not have the required sky visibility. A Playmaker or Tailgater in their line can be move out to that sky access but there reception may not be as strong.

You can even get a home style antenna, put it on a tripod mount and aim it. But you'll have to manually aim it. Research the offerings and decide HOW YOU want it.
OP has the short/narrow Class B Tellaro.
I've seen several Class B's with a roof mounted dome dish, but never with the Trav'ler. Not enough roof space for that (with dual solar panels, AC, and a vent or two).
And a Tripod Mount would be a PITA to carry & store.

The DISH Tailgater 4 has an ez release mount which would work well for the OP.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcurt View Post
We are new RV owners. Just purchased a 2022 Thor Tellaro, Class B coach. We are looking to add on a satellite antenna to get TV programing when not in an RV park (is that called "boondocking"??)

Does Direct TV offer such equipment? All I can find online is Dish and a variety of oddball antennas?

Any recommendations of what type of equipment would be best would be greatly appreciated.
It all depends on what sort of reception you want. King and Winegard make carryout antennas. These antenna only lock on to DT-9s satellite in the 101 galaxy delivering HD signals compressed using the MPEG-4 compression algorithm. To receive all DirecTV signals you need a Slimline II type reflector and LNB. The Wineguard Traveler and RF Mogul make automatic antennas that are attached to the RV's roof. They have the capability to receive all Ku and Ka frequencies transmitted by the 9 satellites in the three galaxies (99, 101, 103) at the same time. Finally, you can purchase a tripod mounted Slimline antenna and cable and place the antenna where you want (max of about 200 ft of RG-6G coax).
I prefer the tripod mounted slimline II reflector with the 3D2RB LNB. I use a Satlooklite signal meter to align the antenna and I carry my genie 2 and clients from the house. The signal meter powers the LNB when setting up the antenna so no coax is required until the antenna is online. My coach is prewired with the required power supplies. I been doing it that way for 22 years and three RVs. Solid Signal carries all the sat equipment you will ever need, plus they have a great library of helpful videos.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
OP has the short/narrow Class B Tellaro.
I've seen several Class B's with a roof mounted dome dish, but never with the Trav'ler. Not enough roof space for that (with dual solar panels, AC, and a vent or two).
And a Tripod Mount would be a PITA to carry & store.

The DISH Tailgater 4 has an ez release mount which would work well for the OP.
OP wasn't who the question was directed and agree a B has less roof to install stuff. My other comments were to the OP who asked originallyaboutk different systems. Right now I have a Playmaker on the Omni that the selling dealer had installed before I got it and a previous deal fell through. They are cheap in the scheme of things RV wise and I know its reception is entry level strength. Other than being able to activate the receiver I got before this trip, I haven't been able to get it to see through the trees. My "neighbor" has their antenna at the street so it can see the satellites. Can't do that with a fixed one. Wanted OP to know what was out there.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #8

THOR #6903
Direct TV has been our best deal picture wise, and monetarily for several years

Beau is right, full size antenna for 4k or uhd

I haven't follit lately but last i read Dish was picking up about 50% of Direct due to ATT mis steps
Old 07-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Direct TV has been our best deal picture wise, and monetarily for several years

Beau is right, full size antenna for 4k or uhd

I haven't follit lately but last i read Dish was picking up about 50% of Direct due to ATT mis steps
Both ATT and Dish are loosing sat subscribers. The Dish and ATT agreement is for ATT to carry Dish cell phone subscribers as Dish builds-out their cell network. All of Dish's satellites will run out of stationing fuel by 2027 and be de-orbited. Dish owns a great deal of the 5G cell spectrum and wants to move most of its sat subscribers to cell in the near future; thus the 5 billion dollar agreement. Previously Dish used T-Mobile as a bridge.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:58 PM   #10

THOR #24262
Wow; thanks to all who responded. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the tech decisions I need to make. I am a Direct TV user at home and prefer to stay with that. I guess I need to figure out do I want to install a dish-type antenna or an antenna type. As I understand it, the dish-type needs to be aimed whereas the antenna type does not, but reception may be weaker with the antenna type. Also, I did not see a Direct TV version of the antenna type. I will look over Winegard again, but I thought they only displaced the DishTV product.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #11

THOR #13362
I believe that there are 3 dome units that support DirectTV (along with DISH & Bell via a DIP switch on the unit)
Most domes have gone to DISHnet. It’s just a better system for RVers.
But if you must have NFL package then you need DirectTV.

Also, note that DirectTV mostly broadcasts in SD with dome dish IIRC.
Whereas, DISHnet is primarily HD.
Also with DISHnet RV package you can turn on and off if you decide not to use it.

https://winegard.com/products/satell...table-antennas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5121752F-2F99-4FB4-A360-D79EE4111F2A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	32277  
Old 07-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

if you're already a ATT/DIRECT TV subscriber for your home, then it's probably easy to continue to use them, but you'll need your own NEW antenna/dome for your RV - you can take your current receivers with you, etc.

If not, then DISH has way more options, and SO MANY channels in HD that are NOT part of any DirectTV option for any of the dome antennas, and the domes are the lowest cost and easiest to deal with, AND are portable - put it on your roof, on the ground, on the picnic table, 200yards away.... wherever you need to. They are also small enough to store either on the roof, or in one of your compartments, or even on the sofa while traveling.

It's not that 'hard' to get great satellite, but it IS a process, and will take time and effort, and even more time and effort to 'learn' the best ways to 'use' your satellite tv - we are all different, and will ALL do it differently - it is certainly NOT a 'one size fits all' scenario.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #13

THOR #24262
thank you. I will check out the Dish Tailgater. You are correct about the size and limited space of our RV
Old 07-27-2021, 10:29 PM   #14

THOR #24262
great info and I do love NFL Ticket
Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #15

THOR #24262
thank you Turners. From the numerous responses, it looks like the dome antenna fits me best.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #16

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcurt View Post
thank you Turners. From the numerous responses, it looks like the dome antenna fits me best.
Uf you're staying with DirecTV check out the extra pkg

I have Dvr's in all 4 locations so don't have to take receivers along

You will only get locals on one location however and if traveling and want to watch a game you have to call
Old 07-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Had direct TV for many years finally left them after ATT and bought them and prety much said they will not be promoting satellite just streaming. Plus they kept switching their guide lay out. Customer service was going down hill. Switched over to DISH about three years ago. Been happy with them.

We are getting ready to go full time So I just signed up for Dish RV went with the DISH Tailgater by King with a single receiver, to get DVR you purchase an addition Hard drive. Set up was not to painful. I went with the tailgater mainly to be able to move it around to find a clear view of the southern sky
Old 07-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
our experience has always been with either our KingTailgaterII dual output portable dome, and our fixed 'home' antenna(with the 3 LNB 'eyeballs')... our receivers are all VIP211K models, and work great, whether at the house on the fixed home antenna, or when carrying one or two with us in the RV for the portable dome antenna.

While some of the dome antennas might say they have TWO outputs, you have to understand that the antenna, itself, can't actually drive two SEPARATE receivers, but it CAN provide a signal to the secondary receiver that is the same satellite as the PRIMARY receiver was programmed to. Basically, you keep your main receiver on a channel(s) that resides with your preferred satellite, such as 129 for HD channels, and then you program your secondary receiver, and it can then see channels on the same satellite.
This might get a little confusing, but once your understand 'how' it works, your mind can then get a grip on what it means when someone at the other TV shouts that they have the dreaded 'satellite not found' or similar 'blue screen' error message. It probably simply means that you changed the channel on the main receiver to one that resides on a different satellite. While YOU may see the channel with no problem, the 'other' receiver won't be able to.

Satellite 110 seems to have the 'most' channels, though most in SD
119 seems to have some of both SD and HD, but not near as many channels
129 tends to be ALL in HD, and many times most of your 'local' channels

also, if you want to pick up LOCAL channels where you are camped, and if you are far enough outside of your 'normal' location where your local channels will not show, you can 'chat' or call DISH to update your 'new' zip code as your 'SERVICE ADDRESS'. Then your new 'locals' will be able to be seen by the antenna, since 'locals' are more 'spot beam' signals and not available outside their geographic footprint. Some locals might be on a very small footprint, and some, like ATLANTA, might span even four or five STATES, or parts of those states, since it is so large. I pick up Atlanta and I am 120-130 south of there, and have probably 3 or 4 other 'locals' that I could choose from, if I wanted to move my 'zip code' to pick up those. You don't HAVE to give DISH your exact zip code, but you CAN give them ANY zip code or address where you want to pick up locals, AS LONG AS you are still close enough and in that SPOT BEAM area. Trial and error are the best ways to find out.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #19

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
our experience has always been with either our KingTailgaterII dual output portable dome, and our fixed 'home' antenna(with the 3 LNB 'eyeballs')... our receivers are all VIP211K models, and work great, whether at the house on the fixed home antenna, or when carrying one or two with us in the RV for the portable dome antenna.

While some of the dome antennas might say they have TWO outputs, you have to understand that the antenna, itself, can't actually drive two SEPARATE receivers, but it CAN provide a signal to the secondary receiver that is the same satellite as the PRIMARY receiver was programmed to. Basically, you keep your main receiver on a channel(s) that resides with your preferred satellite, such as 129 for HD channels, and then you program your secondary receiver, and it can then see channels on the same satellite.
This might get a little confusing, but once your understand 'how' it works, your mind can then get a grip on what it means when someone at the other TV shouts that they have the dreaded 'satellite not found' or similar 'blue screen' error message. It probably simply means that you changed the channel on the main receiver to one that resides on a different satellite. While YOU may see the channel with no problem, the 'other' receiver won't be able to.

Satellite 110 seems to have the 'most' channels, though most in SD
119 seems to have some of both SD and HD, but not near as many channels
129 tends to be ALL in HD, and many times most of your 'local' channels

also, if you want to pick up LOCAL channels where you are camped, and if you are far enough outside of your 'normal' location where your local channels will not show, you can 'chat' or call DISH to update your 'new' zip code as your 'SERVICE ADDRESS'. Then your new 'locals' will be able to be seen by the antenna, since 'locals' are more 'spot beam' signals and not available outside their geographic footprint. Some locals might be on a very small footprint, and some, like ATLANTA, might span even four or five STATES, or parts of those states, since it is so large. I pick up Atlanta and I am 120-130 south of there, and have probably 3 or 4 other 'locals' that I could choose from, if I wanted to move my 'zip code' to pick up those. You don't HAVE to give DISH your exact zip code, but you CAN give them ANY zip code or address where you want to pick up locals, AS LONG AS you are still close enough and in that SPOT BEAM area. Trial and error are the best ways to find out.
Very well explained
And, because of all of the confusion above…I opted to change out my dome dish for a Hybrid Trav’ler.
Yes, it cost me some RV bucks, but it works so well. No problems whatsoever.
Just a touch of the button, finds all three sats quickly, and I can use my Hopper3 from home or a Wally (or 2, or 3).
Now the Wally has two channel capability as well, along with more DVR options with a hard drive.

Bottomline…I’m very happy with DISHnet.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I use the Dish Tailgater Pro. Set it up on the tripod at campsites and move it to my patio roof at home with temp mounts. Only have to pay for one monthly service and always have 220 HD channels anywhere I go...including your back yard or the boat if I wish. $117 per month.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote