Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That was a fast purchase!! Congratulations! Very quite and smooth driving machine! The power will amaze you!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
The one in that link shows it being 4x4?
It also shows it as being a Camping World unit. Good luck with that! No such thing as a good PDI at Camping World. Will be lucky to get a 1/4 or 1/3 a**ed PDI. I don't think anyone ever got a half-a**ed PDI with them.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
The one in that link shows it being 4x4?

It's not 4x4..... if you look at the cab picture there is no shifter on the floor. The 4x4 version has a shifter on the floor to engage the 4x4.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #24
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It's not 4x4..... if you look at the cab picture there is no shifter on the floor. The 4x4 version has a shifter on the floor to engage the 4x4.
Pic of the door shows 4x4 and looks like transfer selection is a knot on the dash and not a shifter on the floor. Might be a newer chassis than yours.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #25

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Pic of the door shows 4x4 and looks like transfer selection is a knot on the dash and not a shifter on the floor. Might be a newer chassis than yours.

That is very interesting..... I am wondering if that is not a picture of the actual unit. I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 on a 2019 F-550 chassis and the 4x4 controls are on a floor.

Mine is just like the one shown in this Thor video of the 2020 Magnitude SV34. Starting at about 3 min 45 sec they start showing the 4x4 option and they go over the 4x4 shifter on the floor.

Where the 4x4 knob is on the dash in that picture is where the Emergency Start Switch and the Switch for the Fog Lights that Thor added on the Magnitude. Thor put their own front bumper and fog lights on the Magnitude. I don't see an Emergency Start switch on any of the dash pictures.

According to information I read online, Thor did not use the electronic 4x4 controls because it has manual locking hubs and damage can be done to the drive train if it is put into 4x4 without the hubs being locked in first. They also do not want you to shift into 4x4 above 3MPH.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #1469
David Bowie said it best

Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes.

Two things come into play

1. Is this a 2020 chassis

2. What did Ford have available to deliver for Thor’s construction timetable.

Thor makes mid year changes all the time.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #27

THOR #12751
Just did a little research..... looks like Thor changed mid-year production to some 2019 F-550 chassis that had the electronic 4x4 option. I found some October walk-around videos showing the 2020 SV34 with the electronic option.

Looks like the hubs have an option to be placed into a manual mode or an auto mode as well.

The 2019 F-550 w/ 4x4 option is offered in bother flavors...... manual 4x4 and electronic 4x4.

I would like not having the shifter on the floor from a space saving perspective..... but I think I prefer having everything manual that way it is in my unit...... fewer failure points to worry about once the chassis is out of warranty.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
In my years having both, manual on Broncos and Electronic on Jeeps and Expeditions I will take electronic any day. Had enough getting out in ankle to knee deep snow and mud to lock in hubs.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #29

THOR #12751
Quote:
In my years having both, manual on Broncos and Electronic on Jeeps and Expeditions I will take electronic any day. Had enough getting out in ankle to knee deep snow and mud to lock in hubs.

I don't think I have to worry about being in knee deep snow or mud to lock in the hubs. If I do, then I have bigger problems and locking in the hubs probably won't matter at that point and will be the least of my worries with an 18,000lb motorhome.

I'll still take the manual....

- Less drag as well as wear having the hubs locked in all the time
- Don't have to worry about solenoid or other electrical problems preventing 4x4 to be engaged should something fail
Old 01-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #30

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Quote:

Maybe that's why my parents had so many kids...to get out and turn in the hubs
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I don't think I have to worry about being in knee deep snow or mud to lock in the hubs. If I do, then I have bigger problems and locking in the hubs probably won't matter at that point and will be the least of my worries with an 18,000lb motorhome.

I'll still take the manual....

- Less drag as well as wear having the hubs locked in all the time
- Don't have to worry about solenoid or other electrical problems preventing 4x4 to be engaged should something fail
Never say never. Our shakedown cruise with the class c (SunSeeker) resulted in us sinking about a foot into the mud because the camp site was soft and 24 hours of rain didn't help. We pulled in after dark, in the rain, and the campground put us in a temporary site until the next morning. It took 2 Ford 4x4 pickups and 2 250 foot straps to get us out. The straps were so the pickups could be on the pavement rather than in the muck with us. I no longer pull into campgrounds after dark unless I have been there before and know their layout and sites.

The only 4x4 failure I have ever had was with the gears on the driver's side locking hub on a Ford Bronco. My two expeditions went 150,000 miles and 142,000 miles without a 4x4 failure.

But, to each their own.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
I would like not having the shifter on the floor....
If yours is cable controlled, and I'm kinda thinking it is, all it takes is a longer cable and a hole cut in the floor to move it wherever you like.

Mine is on the left side of the drivers seat.

You can also cut the shifter size with a hacksaw until it's low enough to be mostly out of the way

I have been told of someone who took his shifter off completely and stabs the handle into the floor slot when 4wd is needed on his E450 van. We did it years ago on the bronco, the shifter handle slips into a slot in the shifter mechanism, we removed the through bolt, and slipped the shift handle in when needed.

Lots of ways to rid yourself of that stick and knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0715191607b.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	22353  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:22 AM   #33

Model: Omni SV34
State: Texas
THOR #18607
Omni SV34 new owner

Picking up our new Omni SV34 Monday. Thinking about a Traeger Ranger portable pellet grill to take along. Dimensions are: 20”d x 13”h x 21”w. The specs on the SV34 don’t show dimensions of the basement storage, but the two compartments forward of the rear wheels look to be large enough.
Does anyone have any experience here or actual dimensions?