Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1 Axis-2005 Mini
State: Georgia
THOR #14334
Cdpsr

Hi All:
Planning to make a purchase of an RV by next fall and still at the stage of wrestling with all the questions a new person to RVing has. That's from should I buy a motorhome or a travel trailer? Should it be a fifth wheel? What would work best for me and my wife?
One of the units we are giving heavy consideration to is the Thor Vegas 24.1. We would welcome any input members here might have. There is so much bad press out there about most of the manufacturers that it's a difficult decision to make at the least.
We will appreciate all your input as I'm sure no one knows better than owners of the units.

Thanks in advance for your help.
CDPSR

Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

If you want to know everything that there is to know about Axis/Vegas units (including a handy PDI checklist for delivery) download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

We have an Axis 24.1 (Vegas' sister brand--they are the same other than the front fascia and color options). Have had it now going on 5 seasons (wow has it been that long!?) Still love it. (In fact just yesterday we went to the local RV show and didn't see anything or any reason to go with something different..still love it ).

Sure you'll find a few bugs here and there but the real trick is while you're doing your research also research the dealer your going to get it from. Find a good dealer and 90% of your hassles will go away.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #7329
My wife and I drove a Thor Vegas, it was hard to keep on the road..we bought a 32 k Thor Hurricane and love it....rides and drives so great
Old 02-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #14304
So many things to consider. How much $$$ to spend, how often will you use it, where to store it, what to tow it with, or, what vehicle to tow behind it? We began with a popup (Aliner) which we loved, was so easy to tow, and had many exciting trips with, then on to a 26ft trailer (Lance 2185) for a bit more room and comfort. After 20K miles in the trailer we just moved on to a 35ft Thor Windsport. Still at the learning stage with this one. Guess it's just like boats, always want a bigger one.
Consider your budget. Pulling a popup - around 20 mpg. Trailer (pulled by Tahoe) around 11 mpg. 5th wheel a bit less. Motorhome ?? If you're planning on extensive roadtrips it's something to think about.

One last thing - quality. Not much to go wrong on an Aliner, the Lance was really well constructed, no issues, top quality. Motorhomes (at least at my budget level) not so much. Very evident that 'you get what you pay for'

Whatever you do get something, it's a brilliant beautiful country to explore. Happy camping !
Old 02-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

THOR #14334
Thanks so much for you suggestions. Certainly if price weren't an issue it would simplify things quite a bit. Alas.... it's a big consideration.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. Just keep asking specific questions and I'm sure you'll get answers that will help you make a decision.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

THOR #14334
Thanks so much. Great info and encouraging to hear such positive things about your Axis. I will definitely be getting the manual. Did you find it necessary to do any modifications for ride comfort or stability? We will be planning to keep the roads pretty hot initially.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

THOR #14334
Thanks for that information. I haven't really seen this model yet but now I will be looking for it since you give such a glowing review. At close to 3/4 of a century I don't want to be battling to stay on the road.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #9

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
We have friends that pull a 39' fifth wheel with a one ton diesel pick up.
They like to go less than a tank and set up camp.
Unhooked, go get fuel, they say it's much easier, I guess so!

We like the class C gasoline driven.
It is not too really big to get around, 29'.
Not sure if we will go class A, but we still dream of it, so much so, RV show next weekend in Chattanooga here we come!

No real plans yet on upgrade, like the boater said, always want bigger, but we need the first full season in this one yet, as we too, just upgraded from a TT.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The only modifications on our Axis is front sumo springs. The Axis/Vegas units are built on E-Series chassis which means that if you've driven an Econoline van in the past you'll be very familiar with how they drive (they are just a bit larger).

If you pick up any Thor it is important that you get an alignment shortly after driving it off the dealer lot.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I will also add that it appears there are very few drivers on this forum from what I read that don't complain about some aspect of handling with just about every rig out there and that includes the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Just look at a full service RV shop and you will see highly sold accessories for improving the driving characteristics. Remember that the manufacturer is putting a big wind catching, non aerodynamic box on top of either a heavy truck or heavy van chassis. It is not a car. Our 2016 Axis did not handle well on the freeway until we added the Saf-T-Plus system, alignment (dealership never discussed this at all), Koni shock absorbers, weighed rig for proper air pressures, Sumo springs in the front. Now, pretty happy with it. Heavy winds suck no matter what you do. I have a relative with a new 32' Tiffin Allegro and he added the Sumo springs to help with the ride. You mentioned price being an issue and it probably is an issue with most in this forum. The entry level rigs will most likely need more tweaking on your part to get them where you will be happier with them in one aspect or another. It is just the way it is with these RVs.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum, and the best of luck to you; in your search for the proper RV.
Unfortunately; it's tough for us to address which rig might work best for you. That will have to come from some serious introspection and prioritizing on your part.
The best that we can do, is relate our experiences with our rigs...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #13

THOR #14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
We have friends that pull a 39' fifth wheel with a one ton diesel pick up.
They like to go less than a tank and set up camp.
Unhooked, go get fuel, they say it's much easier, I guess so!

We like the class C gasoline driven.
It is not too really big to get around, 29'.
Not sure if we will go class A, but we still dream of it, so much so, RV show next weekend in Chattanooga here we come!

No real plans yet on upgrade, like the boater said, always want bigger, but we need the first full season in this one yet, as we too, just upgraded from a TT.
Thanks so much. I know it just takes getting use too but 29 feet seems bit to me now and when you add a tow car.....well, I'm sure it will take a bit.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #14

THOR #14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Forum, and the best of luck to you; in your search for the proper RV.
Unfortunately; it's tough for us to address which rig might work best for you. That will have to come from some serious introspection and prioritizing on your part.
The best that we can do, is relate our experiences with our rigs...
Thanks. I guess I just find it interesting to see the comments of owners of the Axis 24.1 which is my primary interest today.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:06 AM   #15

THOR #14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I will also add that it appears there are very few drivers on this forum from what I read that don't complain about some aspect of handling with just about every rig out there and that includes the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Just look at a full service RV shop and you will see highly sold accessories for improving the driving characteristics. Remember that the manufacturer is putting a big wind catching, non aerodynamic box on top of either a heavy truck or heavy van chassis. It is not a car. Our 2016 Axis did not handle well on the freeway until we added the Saf-T-Plus system, alignment (dealership never discussed this at all), Koni shock absorbers, weighed rig for proper air pressures, Sumo springs in the front. Now, pretty happy with it. Heavy winds suck no matter what you do. I have a relative with a new 32' Tiffin Allegro and he added the Sumo springs to help with the ride. You mentioned price being an issue and it probably is an issue with most in this forum. The entry level rigs will most likely need more tweaking on your part to get them where you will be happier with them in one aspect or another. It is just the way it is with these RVs.
Thanks very understandable