Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni RB34
State: New York
THOR #20403
Soon going to own an Omni..

Hi all,
I am totally new to the RV world and have some questions about the Omni/magnitude. My only experience RV is when I rented a Forest River Sunseeker. I got to say, the RV was nice, but it was loud to drive and kind of exhausting. I was speaking to a magnitude owner who said the opposite of my experience.. I went back a fourth about purchasing a diesel pusher class A and the Omni. I choose the Omni when I found out about the new RB34 model for 2021. I have a deposit on and Omni slated for late November delivery. My problem is that I never drove a magnitude/Omni before... to all the magnitude and Omni owners, how does it drive? Does it sound like a rattle box like a regular class C? I hear the F550 chassis is a dream, true?
Thanks all.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Never driven one, but can't imagine it drives any different from any other medium to heavy duty truck. That's what it is afterall.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:16 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. If it is loud, you can always add sound deadening material to quiet it down while driving. If it has the dog house cover that would be the first place to add the material and then to the side panels/door panels...

Paul
Old 09-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I can't help with your questions about the Omni
But I'd still like to welcome you to our virtual RV Park!
Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

It’s a class 5 truck without air suspension or air brakes and has a house built on the back. It will ride and drive accordingly.

Enjoy
Old 09-06-2020, 10:18 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve not driven one either though I test drove other super C’s. I would expect it to be only marginally “better” than a rented class C. But it’s all pretty subjective. I enjoy driving my Class A partly because I find it’s truck-like handling somewhat endearing. But that’s just me. Personally, I think the living in it experience is way more important. Hope you love your new coach. They sure look nice!
Old 09-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Welcome and congrats on the deposit!! You are going to love it. I have the Omni XG32 and it drives fantastic. Never a problem with power and a very comfortable ride. I pull a car trailer with a jeep on it with no problems. This is not your normal class C. I have had no noise or rattle issues.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:45 AM   #8

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruncher View Post
Hi all,

I am totally new to the RV world and have some questions about the Omni/magnitude. My only experience RV is when I rented a Forest River Sunseeker. I got to say, the RV was nice, but it was loud to drive and kind of exhausting. I was speaking to a magnitude owner who said the opposite of my experience.. I went back a fourth about purchasing a diesel pusher class A and the Omni. I choose the Omni when I found out about the new RB34 model for 2021. I have a deposit on and Omni slated for late November delivery. My problem is that I never drove a magnitude/Omni before... to all the magnitude and Omni owners, how does it drive? Does it sound like a rattle box like a regular class C? I hear the F550 chassis is a dream, true?

Thanks all.

I have a 2017 super c 35 SK on the ford 550 drives and rides great lots of power even when towing also what a difference in noise level in cab my previous class c 31w ford 450 was loud but I did not trade for that reason really liked the layout in the 35 sk
Old 09-07-2020, 01:04 AM   #9

THOR #20403
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
Welcome and congrats on the deposit!! You are going to love it. I have the Omni XG32 and it drives fantastic. Never a problem with power and a very comfortable ride. I pull a car trailer with a jeep on it with no problems. This is not your normal class C. I have had no noise or rattle issues.
Thanks Rick for the info. So the new RB34 is 4x4 like your XG32. Have you driven your RV where you used it in four wheel drive? I was wondering if I could drive this on the beach.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:28 AM   #10

THOR #19481
I don't know about the beach... I am from Mass and you would definitely sink around here. If the beach was real hardpack like Daytona you might be ok. The Omni does not have a lot of ground clearance. I would think the 4WD is more for if you got stuck in some mud or snow not really for off roading.
Quote:
Thanks Rick for the info. So the new RB34 is 4x4 like your XG32. Have you driven your RV where you used it in four wheel drive? I was wondering if I could drive this on the beach.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:33 AM   #11

THOR #20403
Thanks. It’s funny.. I spoke to about 10 different dealers trying to nail down this RV.. I asked a few questions and one of the sales people said, no problem going on the beach.. I didn’t think so but couldn’t find anything online with the 4 wheel drive system capabilities.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:43 AM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
There is no comparison to the way my Magnitude (Omni) SV34 rides and handles compared to my previous I coach... an Outlaw 29H on an E-450 chassis.

The difference is night and day all the way around.

The F-550 is meant to be a true heavy duty truck chassis and can handle the length, height and weight of a motorhome much better than a van chassis

Any motorhome over 25 feet on a van chassis is going to be too much for the stock suspension and it will need upgraded sway bars, steering stabilizer and Sumo Springs to get it to ride and handle properly.

An F-550 suspension handles a large motorhome body much better base on my experience.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #13

THOR #20403
Probably in the forum but Extended Warranties.. Did you all get the extended warranty and optional add-ons? Tire and rim repair? Roadside? And the EVO treatment? When I read the forum, I see that there are going to be some issues... I pm guessing the warranties are a good idea. I’m think the roadside is a must just in case..
Old 09-07-2020, 06:55 AM   #14

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
After owning a class C on the E350 & E450 chassis, the F550 chassis is a dream to drive. Much quieter will not tire you while driving and the diesel engine has lots of power. We absolutely love our XG32. I will never own an RV on the van chassis again.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #15

THOR #19481
In my opinion, I would not get extended warranty. I have always found them to be overpriced and always seem to NOT cover what you need.
Quote:
Probably in the forum but Extended Warranties.. Did you all get the extended warranty and optional add-ons? Tire and rim repair? Roadside? And the EVO treatment? When I read the forum, I see that there are going to be some issues... I pm guessing the warranties are a good idea. I’m think the roadside is a must just in case..
Old 09-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Soon going to own an Omni..

Quote:

Odds are that an extended warranty will cost considerably more than it saves. That’s how the warranty companies make their millions. But odds are your car and homeowners insurance will do the same. In both cases...until they don’t. If you happen to have several serious problems (for example with slides, AC, generator or refrigerator) you might come out ahead. But be aware that MANY things are excluded, there are strict and onerous rules that MUST be followed to get payment made and some service centers won’t participate. All of that said, you can’t put a price on piece of mind.

I had a $1400 slide repair on one of my RVs. I would have spent more for an extended warranty but I certainly would have been happier if I did when I had to pay for the repair!
I wouldn’t have bought coverage on the new coach but DW pretty much insisted. Happy wife......

You probably DO want roadside coverage unless you are willing to carry and change your own 100lb flat tire. Obviously you can still get help without it but it’s a bunch easier if you only have to call one number.

It’s a very personal choice. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #17

THOR #20403
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
In my opinion, I would not get extended warranty. I have always found them to be overpriced and always seem to NOT cover what you need.
I agree.. I bought every warranty for my wife's truck.. Of course, none of the warranties covered the sun visor mirror cover that broke.. The dealership wanted $450 to fix..
Old 09-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #18

Model: Omni sv34
State: Minnesota
THOR #20471
Thor Omni sv34

We've had our Omni for 2 months and really like to way it handles on the road.

Lots of power with the Power stroke.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
Buying an Omni

I bought a new Omni XG32 and so far love it. I live in AZ and use it to escape the Phoenix heat and head north to cool of at higher elevations. The power is amazing, you can pass slow traffic heading up the mountain with ease. Engine braking controls the down hill with almost no input. The ride is fine, noise is a non issue.
Even used the 4WD on a dirt road during a downpour. I opted for 4WD because we also camp along the Colorado River, most of those campsites are sand and getting stuck can happen.

End of Sept. taking a 3 week trip to the east coast and back, should have more impressions to share after that.

Note while the chassis is problem free so far I do have a 10+ punch list at the dealer for repairs and adjustments, doors not latching, wall paper peeling, and one leveling jack leaking, etc. Fortunately the dealer is local and so far supportive but I disappointed at the number of mistakes make during the coach build.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #20

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
There is no comparison in the f550 chassis and a regular C or a gas class A. The F550 is like driving a large pickup. It’s quieter, smoother riding and no comparison in the power.

Tags
magnitude, omni